Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've grown used to using 1/3 EV stops and I've got my sensetivity set up in 1/3 stops also.
For me it's all about the histogram. I know where I want the histogram for each type of image. 2 settings per stop gives you 2 chances of achieving exactly the right setting, as opposed to 3 if you do 1/3 stops. That's 50% more chance of getting it exactly right. The most you can miss by with half stops is 1/4 stop when the exposure you want is half way between half stops. With 1/3 EV adjustments the most you can miss by is 1/6 stop. It's not much different, but every advantage helps.

04-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For me it's all about the histogram. I know where I want the histogram for each type of image. 2 settings per stop gives you 2 chances of achieving exactly the right setting, as opposed to 3 if you do 1/3 stops. That's 50% more chance of getting it exactly right. The most you can miss by with half stops is 1/4 stop when the exposure you want is half way between half stops. With 1/3 EV adjustments the most you can miss by is 1/6 stop. It's not much different, but every advantage helps.
I have the same philosophy regarding stops that's why I shoot 1/3 stops, at least one will be very close to what I want to see. I use Fast Raw Viewer to view what they call their "raw" histogram to insure I have some useable data thats not blown out but in real time I rely on the over exposure blinkies and adjust from there if need be.As long as the in camera histogram isn't pegged to the right I'm OK with that. I've rarely shot in AV mode in Manual mode I pretty much know where to put the EV meter to get the photos I want
05-01-2019, 05:17 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've grown used to using 1/3 EV stops and I've got my sensetivity set up in 1/3 stops also. My K-3 has been set up that way since late 2014 but I decided to give AV mode a go last Friday at an outdoor concert where I too almost 200 shots. Everything worked out fine but it was a hassle cranking in the negative exposure values every time I powered up the camera.

I've found that at 0 EV my K-3 tends to over expose by 1/3 to 2/3 stops and that tends to blow out the highlights. I use the default Bright Parameter setting and that probably accounts for the blown highlights but I prefer that parameter setting. I'll probably use AV mode a bit more but remembering to reset the EV after the power up will come with more use of AV mode. In Manual mode its second nature to get the exposure I think is correct.
Try turning highlight protection on?
05-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Try turning highlight protection on?
I try to take my shots at 100 Iso if possible and Highlight correction is defeated below 200 iso. Since I shoot in DNG at all times I really don't see how having highlight protection on would help.

05-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I try to take my shots at 100 Iso if possible and Highlight correction is defeated below 200 iso. Since I shoot in DNG at all times I really don't see how having highlight protection on would help.
Shoot at 200. The delta is very small.