Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need a little K-3 Exposure Compensation Help!

I have had my K-3 since 2014 and have rarely shot in AV mode preferring instead manual mode but this past weekend I decided to try AV mode at an outdoor concert. Right away I was getting mild over exposure with the blinkies on instant review, so I dialed in 0.3 negative exposure compensation and got back to shooting but when I powered down the K-3 and later powered it back up I lost the setting. I remembered the Camera Menu memory setting and activated that setting. The only problem with that is the last EV setting is retained instead of a default -0.3 EV setting since I had added a bit of exposure compensation to get a certain "mood" in a couple of shots and then powered down again but when I powered back up there was my over exposure again. My question is, is there a way with the K-3, to set a permanent default EV compensation independent of retaining the last setting in memory?

04-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Use one of the user customizable modes.
04-29-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Use one of the user customizable modes.
The user modes? All of mine are occupied by the settings I use when using my Pixel Radio shutter release that allow me to turn on A/F1 settings since I usually use the back button to auto focus which is the AF2 setting. I was hoping i had missed something that would enable me to setup a default EV compensation.

Thanks
04-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Page 75 of the manual. Camera menu 4 Memory, you can set which settings are saved. One of them is exposure compensation.

04-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost always end up with a -0.7 setting on my K-3, and the setting is saved. It's always that way when I turn he camera on. I also use AV mode.

Last edited by normhead; 04-29-2019 at 10:25 AM.
04-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Page 75 of the manual. Camera menu 4 Memory, you can set which settings are saved. One of them is exposure compensation.
Read again...

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
My question is, is there a way with the K-3, to set a permanent default EV compensation independent of retaining the last setting in memory?
Memory only keeps last used, not a default value for startup.
04-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Read again...

Memory only keeps last used, not a default value for startup.
Very astute UV, you win the rubber duckie!

04-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, when I'm in manual mode I'm usually -0.3 or -0.7 so I guess I'll use the retain memory setting and not worry too much about it in AV mode. I'll just have to be careful if I was using a different EV compensation than my normal.
04-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, when I'm in manual mode I'm usually -0.3 or -0.7 so I guess I'll use the retain memory setting and not worry too much about it in AV mode. I'll just have to be careful if I was using a different EV compensation than my normal.
I turned Off the memory on that function. I find it easier just to set it each time to avoid forgetting and having it set to something weird.

I'm also primarily an Av shooter.
04-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I turned Off the memory on that function. I find it easier just to set it each time to avoid forgetting and having it set to something weird.

I'm also primarily an Av shooter.
I'll need to think about how I want to do the compensation since I'm primarily a manual mode shooter. For my purposes it might be easier to leave the memory box checked and see how that works when in AV or the other "automatic" modes.
04-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Very astute UV, you win the rubber duckie!
Of course, you noted that in the original post, right?

Steve
04-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'll need to think about how I want to do the compensation since I'm primarily a manual mode shooter. For my purposes it might be easier to leave the memory box checked and see how that works when in AV or the other "automatic" modes.
Be aware that EC applies to metering in manual mode too for both the green button and the EV scale in the finder and LCD displays.

Steve
04-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Be aware that EC applies to metering in manual mode too for both the green button and the EV scale in the finder and LCD displays.

Steve
Yeah, I remember now, that's the reason I started shooting Manual mode in the first place. The EV compensation was biasing the EV meter in manual mode. Thanks for reminding me.
04-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I use half-stops rather than third-stops ... very old habit based on my pre-21st century cameras when essentially you got an EV from your meter and did your own mental arithmetic when adjusting shutter versus aperture to maintain that EV. The detents on both lenses and shutter speed tended to be in half-stop increments.

In general photography I tend to punch in a half-stop more exposure to get the in-camera jpegs to look the way I want (I save both jpeg and RAW). Regardless, what this thread is telling me is there is no 'right' exposure compensation value. It is art and not science.

I almost always have to remember to change the EC when I interpret myself to be in something other than a general photographic situation. And further remember to reset my +0.5 when I am done being in a non-general photography situation. The camera remembers whatever EC I was last using.
04-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I use half-stops rather than third-stops ... very old habit based on my pre-21st century cameras when essentially you got an EV from your meter and did your own mental arithmetic when adjusting shutter versus aperture to maintain that EV. The detents on both lenses and shutter speed tended to be in half-stop increments.

In general photography I tend to punch in a half-stop more exposure to get the in-camera jpegs to look the way I want (I save both jpeg and RAW). Regardless, what this thread is telling me is there is no 'right' exposure compensation value. It is art and not science.

I almost always have to remember to change the EC when I interpret myself to be in something other than a general photographic situation. And further remember to reset my +0.5 when I am done being in a non-general photography situation. The camera remembers whatever EC I was last using.
I've grown used to using 1/3 EV stops and I've got my sensetivity set up in 1/3 stops also. My K-3 has been set up that way since late 2014 but I decided to give AV mode a go last Friday at an outdoor concert where I too almost 200 shots. Everything worked out fine but it was a hassle cranking in the negative exposure values every time I powered up the camera.

I've found that at 0 EV my K-3 tends to over expose by 1/3 to 2/3 stops and that tends to blow out the highlights. I use the default Bright Parameter setting and that probably accounts for the blown highlights but I prefer that parameter setting. I'll probably use AV mode a bit more but remembering to reset the EV after the power up will come with more use of AV mode. In Manual mode its second nature to get the exposure I think is correct.