Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Proudmale Quote
I think moving a lot of air is the trick. I ask my wife to get our car going precisely 19 miles an hour , though I would limit it to 30 KPH fot those outside the USA. Then, after carefully locking the mirror up I open the window and hold the camera at an angle between 20 and 24 degrees. We usually get it done within 4 or 5 blocks
What a frightening prospect!

If you just want moving air, why not a strong electric fan in a dust-free room? Not that I'd recommend it.

07-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #17

Well, I cant afford a clean room, but I guess I could rip out a shop fan and re-purpose it to move the air. As noted the key is the angle of attack into the wind stream. I wonder if my wife would notice that our whole house fan is missing while I tinker around with this. That is highly adjustable, produces a directed wind stream, and can easily blow long enough and hard enough.

I haven't had my rock wool tested but one of the neighbors had some asbestos in theirs. Their home looked like a crime scene where everything was taped off and 1/4 full bag after another 1/4 full bag went into a taped off entry into the disposal truck. All that care for insulation we had crawled around in during my 30 years in this house. You would think that is what would have hurt you not them loading the stuff into the truck. By the way, this final paragraph is true.
08-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #18

I've been looking to upgrading from my K-r, which I have had since 2010, specifically the K-70. One feature I've appreciated in the K-r is the sensor cleaning system. The Dust Alert allows me to see any dust which may have accumulated on the sensor, allowing activation of the sensor-shake mechanism, then reviewing the cleaned CMOS on a blank screen. However, this feature is absent on the K-70, the instructions recommending the use of a blower (of dry air, presumably), not touching the CMOS with a brush. The shutter-shake and visual pre and post checking feature has inexplicably disappeared from the K-S2, K-5II and IIa, K-30, K-70, KP and the FF K-1 II. Can anyone enlighten me why this is? Or is there some way of accessing that feature via some undocumented "back door" on those recent models?

Last edited by PENTAPSC; 08-27-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Omitted a model (K-30)
08-30-2019, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #19

I don't know, why they have canceledthe feature. But there is a simple way looking for dust without afunction.

Use Av mode, close the lens as much asposible, set distance to infinity, turn off shake reduktion and setexposure to +2 f-stops (overexpose). Take a white paper of about20x30cm or larger, lay it down somewhere, where the exposure time will bebetween 4 and 16 seconds. Take a picture of a part of the paper from a shortdistance and swing around with the camera over the paper all the timeof exposure. As the result you will get a picture, where everythingis blured out with the exception of the dust, because the dust isfixed on the sensor and hasn't moved relative to the sensor.

But this method has a problem. Whenzooming in, you can see very little dust, which will never be visiblein a picture. And you can waste a lot of time, when trying to removeeverything. You have to check, which dust is so big, that it must beremoved, and with which size you won't see.

10-30-2019, 03:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niklas Quote
after having had the k20d for 11 years, i recently purchased the k3ii.

During the years i have had great succes using sensor swabs and eclipse cleaning fluid or later on aps-c sensor cleaning swab kit with swabs already moist with cleaning fluid and seal-packed for cleaning the sensor in the k20d.

Now, in the manual for the k3ii, the only solution for cleaning sensor, except the in-camera dust remove process, is the pentax o-ick1.

Is it now a no-go to use sensor swab cleaning for the k3ii?

i never clean the sensor.

Is that recomended at all ?
10-30-2019, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
i never clean the sensor.

Is that recomended at all ?
NO! ... unless it's dirty/dusty. Best left alone if it doesn't need it. And you need to know what you're doing, as you can easily do irreparable damage.
10-30-2019, 03:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
NO! ... unless it's dirty/dusty. Best left alone if it doesn't need it. And you need to know what you're doing, as you can easily do irreparable damage.
If I ever will need it,

what is the most SAFE method to recomend ?

AND maybe not less important -What to AVOID ?

10-30-2019, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
If I ever will need it,

what is the most SAFE method to recomend ?

AND maybe not less important -What to AVOID ?
O-ICK1

If you don't absolutely need them, wet swabs are best avoided as you can end up with smears.