Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cleaning Sensor

After having had the K20D for 11 years, I recently purchased the K3II.

During the years I have had great succes using Sensor Swabs and Eclipse cleaning fluid or later on APS-C Sensor cleaning swab kit with swabs already moist with cleaning fluid and seal-packed for cleaning the sensor in the K20D.

Now, in the manual for the K3II, the only solution for cleaning sensor, except the in-camera dust remove process, is the Pentax O-ICK1.

Is it now a NO-GO to use sensor swab cleaning for the K3II?

05-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

yes, the sensor will disintegrate..

don't worry about it. you will be equally succesfull
05-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
yes, the sensor will disintegrate..

don't worry about it. you will be equally succesfull
I hope you were joking. The sensor will not disintegrate. It might get messier, but the sensor will not disintegrate. If you're K-3ii has the clear dust on it from start up to shut down, like my K-50 does, I'd use that, and not worry about dust, and always change lenses with the camera pointed down so the open part is pointed toward the ground or bottom. Never change lenses in dusty environments, rain environments, etc. you'll be same.

And I use the O-icky1 stick on my K-50 and K-5 and have not had any problems on either.
05-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I hope you were joking. The sensor will not disintegrate. It might get messier, but the sensor will not disintegrate.
for the record: it was a joke.. :-)

05-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
for the record: it was a joke.. :-)
That's why they make emoji's. So we can tell it's a joke or not. Or you could have put LOL after the statement, then OP would have known you were kidding. Not everyone speaks English here.
05-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niklas Quote
After having had the K20D for 11 years, I recently purchased the K3II.

During the years I have had great succes using Sensor Swabs and Eclipse cleaning fluid or later on APS-C Sensor cleaning swab kit with swabs already moist with cleaning fluid and seal-packed for cleaning the sensor in the K20D.

Now, in the manual for the K3II, the only solution for cleaning sensor, except the in-camera dust remove process, is the Pentax O-ICK1.

Is it now a NO-GO to use sensor swab cleaning for the K3II?
This always sends people into fits, but my go-to tool for when the self cleaning doesn't dislodge a hunk of grot is canned gas.
People freak out, but I've been doing it for over a decade with no problems.
If canned gas doesn't do it them I move to a sensor swab and wet cleaning.
I have my camera set to clean on startup and shutdown and I have very few problems with dust.
05-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you chose the canned air method, press the trigger before you stick the canned air nozzle inside your camera first thing. I made this mistake not on the sensor but inside the mirror box and ended up with spider webs and gunk I couldn't removed on little K-x. So, just a caution on using canned air. I'm careful now, I sqirt outside the camera before squirting inside. Course now I have the O-ick1 stick, I don't use canned air on my cameras, just my computers. And I still use the same precautions.
05-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another reason canned gas is not recommended is that sometimes the filter isn't sealed well and you actually blow dust behind the filter. Fixing that is either an ordeal or costly. I have never seen this happen on a Pentax, but have seen it on Sony, Fuji, Panasonic and Nikon cameras.

05-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I find the Pentax O-ICK1 pretty good, and less scary than a wet swab.
5 Days Ago   #10

Just be gentle with O-ICK and cameras without classic AA filter..
5 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Just be gentle with O-ICK and cameras without classic AA filter..
Don't you need to be equally gentle regardless of AA filter? The actual sensor is still protected by an IR-cut filter when there's no AA filter.

If someone did a home IR conversion and removed all the protective filters in front of the sensor, then, yes, they'd need to be very careful because the sensor is directly exposed. Commercial IR conversions usually substitute a clear glass filter for protection and for AF calibration.