Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 05:42 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I used some of the tricks previously listed last summer at the cycle grand prix in Austin, TX last summer. The simplest is pre-focus to a location where the action is coming towards you, wait and shoot bursts.
With a little crop and image size reduction... K-3 at ISO-1100, 1/4000 using a 55-300 at 300 f/13. And, I was basically taking snapshots on a family outing. If I wanted to get poster-quality commercial prints I wouldn't have been sitting in the bleacher seats, free handing the camera with a beer between my feet.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do a lot of boat racing with my K-3 using a DA* 60-250mm and the Pentax HD 1.4x Teleconverter. I've found shooting in TAV, F16 1/1250 sec. Continuous Focus holding down the back focus button is giving me great results. All of these shots are crops due to the distances involved. It can be done quite successfully with some practice. I have been successful doing pans down to 1/60 sec. but you need smooth water. Boats move in the up and down direction and left to right which really screws with panning. Hope this helps some. Have Fun!

11-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #18
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JTninja Quote
The K-3 is great for motorsports. I've been using it for several years, its fast, easy to use, good iso range, and decent on battery

Sebring 2019 | Flickr
Hi JT

Nice set

Well caught car 61 into the wall at night

Dave
11-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Thanks! More luck than skill

11-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
Shiftsport

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I do a lot of boat racing with my K-3 using a DA* 60-250mm and the Pentax HD 1.4x Teleconverter. I've found shooting in TAV, F16 1/1250 sec. Continuous Focus holding down the back focus button is giving me great results. All of these shots are crops due to the distances involved. It can be done quite successfully with some practice. I have been successful doing pans down to 1/60 sec. but you need smooth water. Boats move in the up and down direction and left to right which really screws with panning. Hope this helps some. Have Fun!

Are you shooting JPG or RAW? Nice pictures and hope I get as close myself to that quality.
11-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shiftsport Quote
Are you shooting JPG or RAW? Nice pictures and hope I get as close myself to that quality.
Thanks! All RAW. More work post processing sometimes but the sun glare off the water sometimes messes with exposure and white balance. Much easier to fix in RAW.

---------- Post added 11-02-19 at 11:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Shiftsport Quote
Also be aware F-stop is dependent on the lens you use. My DA* 60-250 without the 1.4 teleconverter is best at F8. With the teleconverter it's happier at F16. I have a DA-L 55-300 that I don't use because the DA* 60-250 is that much better especially for cropping. Good Luck!