Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 ii autofocus modes

I am a little confused about the autofocus modes, to which the camera manual devotes about 1 page.
In "Auto", on the display you see 1, 9, or 27 points in white, and cannot move the focus point around. In "Select", you have a central point always in red, with the rest of the points in 9 or 27 in pink, and you can move the focus point.

Is that the only difference, or is the autofocus supposed to function differently as far as picking out focus points between the two modes? I use the 9 or 27 point settings when shooting moving objects, like dogs jumping off a dock, where you can't always track them accurately with a single point, and hope the camera will help with that. My reading of the manual is that in both modes the camera will try to find the "best" focus point. In shooting something stationary. like a portrait, in both modes you see various focus points within the range blinking on. Is there any difference between these modes for moving objects? (Whatever I'm doing isn't optimum because I get a lot of out-of-focus photos when they are moving fast.)

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

10-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't help with how the different modes function but you should be able to move the selection area around with 9 points Auto. There's a button on the bottom right side of the back of the camera. It looks like a little box with a cross in the middle and there's an image of 2 SD cards (I think in blue). If you press this button you should be able to move the focus point around. In Single and 9 point Auto. You press it again to set the position.

Also, with the difference between Auto and Select, I think in Select, the autofocus will prioritize focusing around the central point of the focus area whereas in the Auto mode, it will just focus on various points until it gains focus lock. I'm not really sure and I could (most likely) be wrong but I think I had read that before.
10-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The white modes are fixed. The red modes will track in AF-C
10-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

If you haven't done so already I urge you to consider getting the e book

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, KP, K-70, K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2) - PentaxForums.com

10-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The red modes will track in AF-C
...and are only available in AF.C and AF.A.

Steve
10-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck1955 Quote
My reading of the manual is that in both modes the camera will try to find the "best" focus point.
It is best to keep in mind that the camera cannot read your mind. It will attempt focus to the first point that has sufficient signal and will signal focus to that point when best focus* is attained. With any luck, that will be your subject. AF.C adds tracking capability in some modes, but at the cost of allowing shutter release even when best focus has not bee attained.

Steve

* Least out-of-focus