Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 05:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,886
Pentax cameras are designed beautifully. No question about that. Even the ease and comfort that you experience when you hold it is different from other cameras. The build quality is superb and its ruggedness is simply sexy.

11-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,355
A cousin's spouse is a professional portrait photographer, and frequently does team shoots or alumni gatherings. Likewise, the talk is about images and technique. We do compare gear - not because one brand takes better pictures than another, but about features we would regularly use. She shoots Nikon for two reasons: It is what she trained on, and you can find service, parts, accessories when you need them NOW seemingly on every other street corner. What she admired most about my Pentax gear was weather resistance. Large group shots are often taken outside and small group or individual shots taken inside. She always has to worry about condensation when moving between environments. Would either of us switch brands for our primary gear? Unlikely, but we are not trying to 'sell' each other either.

I'm sure many of us have heard the joke... An acquaintance commented that with the gear he was using, he must take wonderful photographs. He was invited to dinner. It was quite good so he complemented his host on her excellent pots and pans.
11-09-2019, 03:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Dan Rentea's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,287
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
What she admired most about my Pentax gear was weather resistance. Large group shots are often taken outside and small group or individual shots taken inside. She always has to worry about condensation when moving between environments.
Condensation should be a thing to worry and take care about no matter the brand. Unfortunately, no Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji camera is immune to condensation. My K-5 II was very close to get damaged by condensation a few years ago. That's one of the reasons I shoot with 2 bodies when I have to shoot outdoor in very cold weather and then I have to get back inside where is warm.
11-09-2019, 04:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,886
I've never used my camera in very cold weather. But the tip given is to let the camera stay in the bag till it reaches normal temperature when going in doors. This avoids condensation.

What I do here in the tropical climate is different. I work in an air conditioned office and I normally set it at a very cold setting. The camera bag would often absorb the cold temperature and when I start shooting, the camera would fog when I pull it out of the bag. What I do is, I put the bag in a Styrofoam box so that when I pullout the camera it's at room temperature. That way I've avoided fogging and condensation.


Last edited by totsmuyco; 11-09-2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Grammar
11-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,355
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Condensation should be a thing to worry and take care about no matter the brand. Unfortunately, no Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji camera is immune to condensation. My K-5 II was very close to get damaged by condensation a few years ago. That's one of the reasons I shoot with 2 bodies when I have to shoot outdoor in very cold weather and then I have to get back inside where is warm.
I agree, and I don't. Condensation is a thing to worry about. With a weather sealed body and lens, you can wipe down the camera and not overly worry about the condensation from seeping into the equipment. For sure, you don't want to break that weather seal by, for example, changing a lens until the camera is stabilized outside and inside. With non-weather sealed gear, you do have to worry about condensation seeping inside the gear even if you did wipe things dry.

And yes, two bodies is always safest - especially if a lens change is required.
11-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Dan Rentea's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,287
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I agree, and I don't. Condensation is a thing to worry about. With a weather sealed body and lens, you can wipe down the camera and not overly worry about the condensation from seeping into the equipment. For sure, you don't want to break that weather seal by, for example, changing a lens until the camera is stabilized outside and inside. With non-weather sealed gear, you do have to worry about condensation seeping inside the gear even if you did wipe things dry.

And yes, two bodies is always safest - especially if a lens change is required.
Even with weather sealed body and lens, condensation will damage the gear because the inside parts will start to "sweat" due to warmer temperatures and the sealing gaskets of camera and lens won't help much in this situation, neither wiping the gear until it will dry.
11-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,886
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Even with weather sealed body and lens, condensation will damage the gear because the inside parts will start to "sweat" due to warmer temperatures and the sealing gaskets of camera and lens won't help much in this situation, neither wiping the gear until it will dry.
Agree Dan. Temperature changes will produce condensation. It can happen inside the camera or the body even if weather sealed.
11-10-2019, 02:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 487
Indeed, condensation is one of these things where weather proofing is not going to solve everything.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, canon, cathedral, couple, dslr, flash, friend, k-3, k3, nikon, pentax k-3, photography, photos, pictures, sigh, stuff, table
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekly Challenge CAPTION CONTEST: 10/30/2019 through 11/7/2019 Merv-O Weekly Photo Challenges 17 11-08-2019 10:53 AM
Do I account for crop factor when selecting the focal length for manual lenses? Ropuchy Pentax DSLR Discussion 27 08-15-2018 08:46 AM
Crop Factor Conundrums Mørkus Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 29 05-17-2018 09:30 AM
Crop factor or cr.. factor ? deeslexia Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 10-18-2017 06:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top