Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 05:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax cameras are designed beautifully. No question about that. Even the ease and comfort that you experience when you hold it is different from other cameras. The build quality is superb and its ruggedness is simply sexy.

11-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
A cousin's spouse is a professional portrait photographer, and frequently does team shoots or alumni gatherings. Likewise, the talk is about images and technique. We do compare gear - not because one brand takes better pictures than another, but about features we would regularly use. She shoots Nikon for two reasons: It is what she trained on, and you can find service, parts, accessories when you need them NOW seemingly on every other street corner. What she admired most about my Pentax gear was weather resistance. Large group shots are often taken outside and small group or individual shots taken inside. She always has to worry about condensation when moving between environments. Would either of us switch brands for our primary gear? Unlikely, but we are not trying to 'sell' each other either.

I'm sure many of us have heard the joke... An acquaintance commented that with the gear he was using, he must take wonderful photographs. He was invited to dinner. It was quite good so he complemented his host on her excellent pots and pans.
11-09-2019, 03:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
What she admired most about my Pentax gear was weather resistance. Large group shots are often taken outside and small group or individual shots taken inside. She always has to worry about condensation when moving between environments.
Condensation should be a thing to worry and take care about no matter the brand. Unfortunately, no Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji camera is immune to condensation. My K-5 II was very close to get damaged by condensation a few years ago. That's one of the reasons I shoot with 2 bodies when I have to shoot outdoor in very cold weather and then I have to get back inside where is warm.
11-09-2019, 04:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I've never used my camera in very cold weather. But the tip given is to let the camera stay in the bag till it reaches normal temperature when going in doors. This avoids condensation.

What I do here in the tropical climate is different. I work in an air conditioned office and I normally set it at a very cold setting. The camera bag would often absorb the cold temperature and when I start shooting, the camera would fog when I pull it out of the bag. What I do is, I put the bag in a Styrofoam box so that when I pullout the camera it's at room temperature. That way I've avoided fogging and condensation.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 11-09-2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Grammar
11-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Condensation should be a thing to worry and take care about no matter the brand. Unfortunately, no Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji camera is immune to condensation. My K-5 II was very close to get damaged by condensation a few years ago. That's one of the reasons I shoot with 2 bodies when I have to shoot outdoor in very cold weather and then I have to get back inside where is warm.
I agree, and I don't. Condensation is a thing to worry about. With a weather sealed body and lens, you can wipe down the camera and not overly worry about the condensation from seeping into the equipment. For sure, you don't want to break that weather seal by, for example, changing a lens until the camera is stabilized outside and inside. With non-weather sealed gear, you do have to worry about condensation seeping inside the gear even if you did wipe things dry.

And yes, two bodies is always safest - especially if a lens change is required.
11-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I agree, and I don't. Condensation is a thing to worry about. With a weather sealed body and lens, you can wipe down the camera and not overly worry about the condensation from seeping into the equipment. For sure, you don't want to break that weather seal by, for example, changing a lens until the camera is stabilized outside and inside. With non-weather sealed gear, you do have to worry about condensation seeping inside the gear even if you did wipe things dry.

And yes, two bodies is always safest - especially if a lens change is required.
Even with weather sealed body and lens, condensation will damage the gear because the inside parts will start to "sweat" due to warmer temperatures and the sealing gaskets of camera and lens won't help much in this situation, neither wiping the gear until it will dry.
11-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Even with weather sealed body and lens, condensation will damage the gear because the inside parts will start to "sweat" due to warmer temperatures and the sealing gaskets of camera and lens won't help much in this situation, neither wiping the gear until it will dry.
Agree Dan. Temperature changes will produce condensation. It can happen inside the camera or the body even if weather sealed.

11-10-2019, 02:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Indeed, condensation is one of these things where weather proofing is not going to solve everything.