Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another happy owner/user of a Think Tank Digital Holster V2.0 here. When I am going out with just one body and lens, it is the one that I reach for.

Bulky combos like a Pentax K200D with Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 or a Samsung NX1 with 16-50mm f/2-2.8 is not a problem. When I unzip the extendable snout, I can even pack the Samsung NX1 with 50-150mm f/2.8.

Any battery grip for the body has to stay behind - it just doesn't fit. There are little pockets with room for small things like filters or memory cards, but not very many of them.

11-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The biggest problem with a dSLR with a mounted lens and non-photo backpacks is the T shape makes for awkward packing. If the camera doesn't have to have your Sigma lens mounted when in your backpack, I would suggest a pair of inexpensive neoprene cases - one for lens, one for body. No awkward T shape for packing and my gear is protected inside my backpack.

When I fly, I collapse my domke style bag flat in my roller bag and put my gear into these neoprene bags for transport inside my laptop capable backpack. I reassemble my photo bag at my destination. I have yet to see a good photo backpack that leaves sufficient room for the laptop, accessories and enough general storage for a day of touring on my feet.

For my recent trip to Europe, I looked at that body cap on my K-3. I picked up a used DA 40 XS (pancake lens) and used it in place of a body cap. I had a great camera ready for photography that still fit inside its easily packed neoprene body case.
11-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
This one is more bulkier and not so versatile than the ThinkTank Holster and not! expandable for longer lenses or a second small one underneath the body with a smaller Zoom.

I don't see how what I ordered is bulkier than the Think Tank which has pockets and such for things I'm not going to be carrying. The Sigma Art is easily as big as a zoom lens; in reading the interior dimensions, the case I ordered will *just* fit the K3+18-35mm. I don't need a convertible or expandable case because the big Sigma will be on the K3 95% of the time it's in my backpack.

Besides the above, my #1 priority was a hard or semi-hard case to protect the K3 from bumps, something a soft case cannot do without lots of bulky foam. I wasn't looking for "versatile", I already have other camera bags; I was or am looking for single purpose protection for the camera + lens alone.

Thanks

---------- Post added 11-15-19 at 08:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The biggest problem with a dSLR with a mounted lens and non-photo backpacks is the T shape makes for awkward packing. If the camera doesn't have to have your Sigma lens mounted when in your backpack, I would suggest a pair of inexpensive neoprene cases - one for lens, one for body. No awkward T shape for packing and my gear is protected inside my backpack.

When I fly, I collapse my domke style bag flat in my roller bag and put my gear into these neoprene bags for transport inside my laptop capable backpack. I reassemble my photo bag at my destination. I have yet to see a good photo backpack that leaves sufficient room for the laptop, accessories and enough general storage for a day of touring on my feet.

For my recent trip to Europe, I looked at that body cap on my K-3. I picked up a used DA 40 XS (pancake lens) and used it in place of a body cap. I had a great camera ready for photography that still fit inside its easily packed neoprene body case.
You make a good point about storing the parts separately, though part of me thinks that would increase the chance of getting dust and such into the camera. If the case I ordered doesn't work out well, I might consider that route.

Thanks

Last edited by phreon; 11-15-2019 at 06:54 AM.
11-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Another vote for the Think Tank holster from me. I have pouch on the side that carries my 1.4 converter for a bit of extra reach when I need it.

11-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just received the USA Gear HSZ hard-shell SLR zoom case

seems very nice

exterior 9 " x 6.25 " x 5 "
22 x 15.87 x 12.7 cm

interior 8.5 " x 5.75 " x 4.5 "

21.59 x 14.50 x 11.43 cm

weight 11.5 oz 326 g

USA GEAR Hard Shell DSLR Camera and Zoom Lens Case with Molded EVA Protection, Quick Access Opening and Padded Interior - Compatible with Nikon, Canon, Olympus Cameras with Popular 300mm Lenses
by USA Gear
4.3 out of 5 stars
Color: Black Zoom
11-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
The case *finally* arrived. It's amazing Rakuten stays in business given how slow they are. In any case, it meets my expectations and is absolutely worth the sub-$25 cost. The K3 can fit with a grip attached, but it's an extremely tight fit and one can feel the pentaprism housing. I'll either sacrifice the grip for daily backpack carrying or just keep it handy in one of my bag's pockets.

I get the impression the K3 could take a drop from desk height in this case no problem, but I'm not about to test that.