Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K3 - SR on a tripod

Does K3 recognize when it is on a stable ground or on a tripod and automatically turn off its SR system?

I usually turn it off or turn on remote control feature to disable it. But that day I was just put the camera on a tripod then a guy stop in the scene and I want to capture that moment, so I hit green button and take the short. It turns out, camera select f2.8, 1/125 for me (DA*55), I forgot to turn off SR and things are sharp which surprise me. I thought SR on a tripod would mess up my shot.

11-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I never had issues with my k3ii on a tripod, I always have sr enabled to simplify horizon correction. My exposures are up to a couple of minutes, but rarely over 30s.
11-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Does K3 recognize when it is on a stable ground or on a tripod and automatically turn off its SR system?

I usually turn it off or turn on remote control feature to disable it. But that day I was just put the camera on a tripod then a guy stop in the scene and I want to capture that moment, so I hit green button and take the short. It turns out, camera select f2.8, 1/125 for me (DA*55), I forgot to turn off SR and things are sharp which surprise me. I thought SR on a tripod would mess up my shot.
The camera will not recognise it is on a tripod and turn off SR.

if you use remote or timer to trigger exposure it will default to turn off SR

To be honest at 1/125 with a 55 mm lens SR on or off will make virtually no difference.
11-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 does not 'know' when it is on a tripod but if you use any of the modes that imply a tripod it will turn off SR. I have had images horribly ruined by using SR on a tripod. And other times I could find no evidence of any blurring. The images that I had problems with were with a very long lens so it is possible the focal length is part of whether there is an issue or not. Or maybe the stars just have to align correctly, who knows.

11-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use the 2 sec self timer to ensure it is off.
11-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
My Fx button on the side of the pentaprism is programmed to toggle SR. So lets see how the group responds to monopod use. To SR or not SR?
11-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seldom turn off SR simply because I forget to but I have noticed not any difference at all in most of my shots on a tripod especially as most of mine are well above 1/FL. If I have the SR off I then forget to turn it back on which will ruin many more shot than having it on when tripod mounted.

11-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I seldom turn off SR simply because I forget to but I have noticed not any difference at all in most of my shots on a tripod especially as most of mine are well above 1/FL. If I have the SR off I then forget to turn it back on which will ruin many more shot than having it on when tripod mounted.
Just use 2 sec self timer on the tripod... This is easy and more easily noticed and turned back off than SR ON/OFF.