Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 12:59 AM   #1

K-3II battery drop off

For some time now I have had a problem with my Pentax K-3 II. If I leave the battery in the camera off, after 3 days I have no battery left!
So my batteries run out without using the device!
I have 2 batteries, same problem! but does not empty outside the device

Do you have any idea where that might come from?

Thank you Good day

11-17-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jojobrax Quote
For some time now I have had a problem with my Pentax K-3 II. If I leave the battery in the camera off, after 3 days I have no battery left!
So my batteries run out without using the device!
I have 2 batteries, same problem! but does not empty outside the device

Do you have any idea where that might come from?

Thank you Good day
Do you have GPS track logging enabled? If so then that's the most likely culprit.

Early K-3 II bodies are also subject to a service advisory. Unless you bought this camera really early (or second-hand), it's very unlikely that this will apply to your camera.
Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Finally, be sure to grab the latest firmware if you haven't already:
Pentax K-3 II Firmware v1.10 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2019, 02:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My battery life is fine with the camera off, however chews through it pretty quick, the Pentax battery and no name extra battery.
11-17-2019, 04:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've suspected the same behaviour as the OP but due to having a couple of spare batteries it's never been enough of an issue to properly investigate. I have checked the gps though, because I guessed the path logging could have been accidentally turned on. In those cases that wasn't the issue, at least not if the gui shows correct info. (I've turned the gps light off)

The battery life of my K-3 II isn't great. For full day shooting I bring spare batteries and usually deplete at least one.

11-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I always preset to have the camera shut down after a period of time

check pg 31 of the owner's manual

are you folks using that feature

there are times in the field that I hear the shutter fire and realize that the battery grip had been turned on accidentally?

are you checking that both power switches are turned off ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-17-2019 at 05:51 AM.
11-17-2019, 06:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard. As Adam has stated the first thing you should check is your GPS system. Is it on?

I have never gotten anywhere near the rated number of exposures per battery with any of my Pentax DSLR's. That covers from K5 to K1-II. Just the way I use the cameras I guess. Not a big deal. I just carry a few spares.
11-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one advantage of the battery grip is that you set how the camera uses the batteries

camera chooses or you select " body " or " grip "

I use " grip " since it is easy to replace that battery in the field.

11-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

batteries seem to be quite consistent during use...….but turning on and turning off a bunch seems to eat them a bit quicker than regular use or just leaving on.....try and limit how often i swap out lenses to minimize all the turning off and on in a short period of time
11-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
hi thank's for your awnser!

This happen when my k-3 ii is in my his tidy in my home. So I do not think my camera turn on accidentally
My Pentax is with the firmware 1.10
the path logging is turn off
I will investigate more..