Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Videos settings with your K3

Hi,
Sometime I use my K3 to make a video. I think that the result could be better.

Could you help me to find the good settings to have the best result?
Thanks a lot four your "best" advices.
Gérard

11-18-2019, 10:02 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Gerard.

The video output isn't as good as it could be, but there are a few things you can do to make it pretty reasonable - although it involves some post-production work. This is what I do:
- Don't use the in-camera software shake reduction, to remove the jelly effect. De-shake in post - there are a number of free solutions out there.
- Use a basic shooting mode such as the 'muted' mode to minimise non-recoverable bright whites and dark blacks, then adjust alpha, saturation and contrast in post.
- Use the progressive capture frame rates up to 30fps. The K-3 has a 60fps but it's interlaced which can cause issues.
- Shoot in manual so that it maintains the exposure you set - much better than the camera auto-adjusting the exposure, which doesn't look good.
- Use a shutter speed that is (1/frame rate)*2, so for 30fps you'd set 1/60 second, which gives a good cinematic look.
- Pre-focus using focus peaking, don't try to use AF in video mode. If you need special focus effects from say distance to close-up, take the time to learn manual focus pulling with your particular lens.
- Take your time!

Hope this helps.
11-18-2019, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Hi Gerard.

The video output isn't as good as it could be, but there are a few things you can do to make it pretty reasonable - although it involves some post-production work. This is what I do:
- Don't use the in-camera software shake reduction, to remove the jelly effect. De-shake in post - there are a number of free solutions out there.
- Use a basic shooting mode such as the 'muted' mode to minimise non-recoverable bright whites and dark blacks, then adjust alpha, saturation and contrast in post.
- Use the progressive capture frame rates up to 30fps. The K-3 has a 60fps but it's interlaced which can cause issues.
- Shoot in manual so that it maintains the exposure you set - much better than the camera auto-adjusting the exposure, which doesn't look good.
- Use a shutter speed that is (1/frame rate)*2, so for 30fps you'd set 1/60 second, which gives a good cinematic look.
- Pre-focus using focus peaking, don't try to use AF in video mode. If you need special focus effects from say distance to close-up, take the time to learn manual focus pulling with your particular lens.
- Take your time!

Hope this helps.
What he said. Europe has the PAL standard for television so you might consider 25 fps instead of 30 fps, but modern electronic devises usually work with both, just don't mix those framerates when cutting a clip

edit: make sure your white balance is correct for filming (your options in post are limited in that aspect too)

Last edited by othar; 11-18-2019 at 11:14 AM.
11-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi,
Many thanks for your posts.
I will take all that into account.Thanks again.
Best Regards.
Gérard

11-24-2019, 03:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kitedreams Quote
Hi,
Many thanks for your posts.
I will take all that into account.Thanks again.
Best Regards.
Gérard
I was trying to find over the internet - the advices about video settings,

but I found very little advices ( almost none ) on best videography set up in Pentax or some of the Pentax cameras.

Sometimes I have to Video Record some things with my K3 or KP - and I don't know - which set up is the best. Specifically in terms of DR, or WB ...

It seems - there is not much video guys with Pentax equipment - which is not suprise - but I was kind of hopping that Pentax is little bit more in use.