Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #16
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Get her / you a Tammy 90 macro...its probably the cheapest and lightest option..( and you can use it on your K 1 )

Dave....its easy spending other peoples money

11-28-2019, 05:30 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Ok folks my wife has been taking a few shots with my K01, but she is wanting to use something she can take on hikes, so she is leaning towards some weather sealed body.
I have two K3s and am actually selling one of them (note to self.....remove from marketplace) and have suggeste her to use it. she told me it was too big, but I fixed that by removing the grip, and now it fits her small hands perfectly.
The question I have is what lenses should I recommend, she still wants to remain using something as lite as she can, so I have the 18-135 on it which she just love using anyways.
She is still into using it in full auto mode (ya......the dreaded green square setting) because she wants to still use it like a point and shoot camera, at least until she shoots more and gets into more creative ideas. When I am out shooting and want something compact I use my 55-300 PLM and am rather stingy with it, and funds are tight so cannot afford another one and dont want to spent that kind of money on another one anyways, but with all the holiday deals out there, they have the HD screw drive models on the cheap. should I get one of those? or are there other alternatives that you all advise on? she has access to any of my lenses other wise but they are all a bit too heavy for her. thanks in advance.
My wife had similar complaints so I bought her a White KS2 with Sigma 50mm Macro 2.8 and the kit lens 18-50mm which have worked great. Now sometimes next week I was going to be posting it your interested as we are unfortunately leaving the Pentax family and all my equipment is being sold off minus my vintage lenses.
11-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The da 18-135 is already slow enough... I wouldn't add a teleconverter to it. The green mode program would struggle to balance iso against shutter speed and aperture.
11-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #19
Forum Member

I would probably file for divorce........😁

11-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bavd Quote
I would probably file for divorce........😁
lol.....actually I've been looking forward to this day when she tells me she wants to get into photography. She watches me shoot, and thinks to herself, "nope.....that's not the angle I would shoot it at, nope wrong subject" so she wants to grab the bull by the horns and have her own body and gear to use as she pleases, so she is inheriting one of my K3s.
We tried getting her into photography before but she was overwhelmed with all the technical aspects and me trying to teach her touch. This time we are approaching it differently and just letting her creativity guide her, and when questions come up, I will be there to answer them
11-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lol.....actually I've been looking forward to this day when she tells me she wants to get into photography. She watches me shoot, and thinks to herself, "nope.....that's not the angle I would shoot it at, nope wrong subject" so she wants to grab the bull by the horns and have her own body and gear to use as she pleases, so she is inheriting one of my K3s.
We tried getting her into photography before but she was overwhelmed with all the technical aspects and me trying to teach her touch. This time we are approaching it differently and just letting her creativity guide her, and when questions come up, I will be there to answer them
Looks like you have all the gear and a willing student......just let her go for it at her own pace. Good luck!
11-28-2019, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Ok folks my wife has been taking a few shots with my K01, but she is wanting to use something she can take on hikes, so she is leaning towards some weather sealed body.
I have two K3s and am actually selling one of them (note to self.....remove from marketplace) and have suggeste her to use it. she told me it was too big, but I fixed that by removing the grip, and now it fits her small hands perfectly.
The question I have is what lenses should I recommend, she still wants to remain using something as lite as she can, so I have the 18-135 on it which she just love using anyways.
She is still into using it in full auto mode (ya......the dreaded green square setting) because she wants to still use it like a point and shoot camera, at least until she shoots more and gets into more creative ideas. When I am out shooting and want something compact I use my 55-300 PLM and am rather stingy with it, and funds are tight so cannot afford another one and dont want to spent that kind of money on another one anyways, but with all the holiday deals out there, they have the HD screw drive models on the cheap. should I get one of those? or are there other alternatives that you all advise on? she has access to any of my lenses other wise but they are all a bit too heavy for her. thanks in advance.
The best solution beyond the 18-135mm is another 55-300mm PLM - maybe you'll win one in a few days.

Last edited by reh321; 11-28-2019 at 12:02 PM.
11-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #23

I may be misunderstanding the question, but I saw “macro” and “point & shoot mode” and I think what I would suggest you consider in addition to her using K3 + 18-135 as she does now, is a WG4 or similar compact point & shoot camera rather than another lens. It’s my first choice for macro most of the time; it really does a good job for that and I carry it as EDC as well as bring it alongside DSLR (for anything macro-ish that the 18-135 won’t reach.) The smaller sensor adds the advantage of greater depth of field for the macro shots.
(Speaking as a middle-aged woman with small wimpy wrists and a tendency toward backache after too much gear-lugging. For the majority of my serious shooting I use a K30 or K50 with the 18-135. If I’m going after birds I might also carry 50-200 or 80-320, but if I’m not pursuing birds I generally don’t use them. I do own a 100 macro M but I’d rather just use the WG4.)
11-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ERNR Quote
I may be misunderstanding the question, but I saw “macro” and “point & shoot mode” and I think what I would suggest you consider in addition to her using K3 + 18-135 as she does now, is a WG4 or similar compact point & shoot camera rather than another lens. It’s my first choice for macro most of the time; it really does a good job for that and I carry it as EDC as well as bring it alongside DSLR (for anything macro-ish that the 18-135 won’t reach.) The smaller sensor adds the advantage of greater depth of field for the macro shots.
(Speaking as a middle-aged woman with small wimpy wrists and a tendency toward backache after too much gear-lugging. For the majority of my serious shooting I use a K30 or K50 with the 18-135. If I’m going after birds I might also carry 50-200 or 80-320, but if I’m not pursuing birds I generally don’t use them. I do own a 100 macro M but I’d rather just use the WG4.)
For birding, I use a KP, the PLM lens, and a 1.4TC, but unfortunately that is beyond what the OP is willing to spend right now.
11-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #25
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Bird dude

You have cameras for both of you ,lenses for both of you.....you just need a pram to transport them all when you go out shooting.......simple...or do you have one of those aswell..?

Dave
11-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The best solution beyond the 18-135mm is another 55-300mm PLM - maybe you'll win one in a few days.
that would be nice lol...

---------- Post added 11-29-19 at 05:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ERNR Quote
what I meant by "point and shoot" is she just wants to start out just being able to point focus/zoom and shoot, then after a while when she gets a feel for what she really wants, we will then take the camera out of AUTO and she can start experimenting with adjustments on her own and learn all the fundamentals of photography. We have little point and shoot cameras, but she wants something with much greater ability for manipulation.

---------- Post added 11-29-19 at 05:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Bird dude

You have cameras for both of you ,lenses for both of you.....you just need a pram to transport them all when you go out shooting.......simple...or do you have one of those aswell..?

Dave
pram? whats a pram?
11-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #27
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Bird dude

A pram....a vehicle to cart around your newborn --to toddler...they come nowadays with fancy suspension and also sports models for the mum / father on the go.
What do you call them overthere..?

Dave

Look on the alphabet thread ..post 48716 ( current last page ) has an 40s 50s style one

Last edited by dbs; 11-29-2019 at 09:08 AM.
11-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get her / you a Tammy 90 macro...its probably the cheapest and lightest option..( and you can use it on your K 1 )
I second that - it's a great lens that produces very nice macros!
11-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Bird dude

A pram....a vehicle to cart around your newborn --to toddler...they come nowadays with fancy suspension and also sports models for the mum / father on the go.
What do you call them overthere..?

Dave

Look on the alphabet thread ..post 48716 ( current last page ) has an 40s 50s style one
over here Iwe call those strollers, and yes! That is a good idea! I currently use a folding shopping cart-Name:  20191111_170453.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  107.8 KBbut that works well on level surfaces, I think I'm gonna keep an eye open for one of those "off road" strollers and convert it into a hiking cart or "pram" as you call it

---------- Post added 11-29-19 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lidy Quote
I second that - it's a great lens that produces very nice macros!
I mentioned earlier that I have the DFA 100 macro WR, so we have the macro side covered

---------- Post added 11-29-19 at 06:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For birding, I use a KP, the PLM lens, and a 1.4TC, but unfortunately that is beyond what the OP is willing to spend right now.
I have a PLM lens but no TC yet, are you happy with the results of that combination? I also have the DFA 150-450, but it's rather heavy for my wife to use
11-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I have a PLM lens but no TC yet, are you happy with the results of that combination? I also have the DFA 150-450, but it's rather heavy for my wife to use
Yes, I just use the combination as a 77-420mm f/8-9.5 lens, which nicely compliments my other, an 18-135mm lens. I have never had it fail to focus on my KP, so, yes, I am quite happy with the combination.