Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #1

K3 shutter about to fail ??

After many years of excellent service, and over 90,000 shots, my Pentax K3 occasionally (say 1 shot every 100) seems to "hesitate" when I take a photograph, then makes a loud shutter-like noise when taking the picture with an approx. 1/2-second delay. Usually the frame is correctly exposed, but occasionally the frame will be completely BLACK as if the shutter hadn't opened at all. Any opinions to what this could be due to? Could the shutter be about to break completely ? Is it "normal" that before failing it gives "warnings" like this, or is it more likley to be something else going on? Thanks for any advice!

01-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #2

Are you sure it is the shutter and not the mirror you are hearing?
My advice would be to just keep on shooting until it fails, or get a backup if it is really important stuff.

Hope it will make it until the K-new is released!
01-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipper Quote
Any opinions to what this could be due to?
Something inside your camera related to the shutter sequence is not proper.

Could the shutter be about to break completely ?
Perhaps, though the source of the problem may be something other than the shutter (mirror or aperture actuator).

Is it "normal" that before failing it gives "warnings" like this, or is it more likley to be something else going on?
Hearing a funny noise is a time-honored indication of ongoing mechanical problems. What more can we say?

The K-3 shutter is rated for 200,000 actuations and yours is only halfway there. That does not mean it is not failing, only that it is not supposed to be doing so yet. The best answer might be provided by a repair facility. With any luck, a fix might be inexpensive and if not, at least you have a firm indication that finding a replacement might be a good idea.

Steve
01-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Track your battery usage,
Does this happen more at the end of the day when it's cold and you've been out in it for a while?
Batteries have a limited life span, and number of charges/recharges, I've found the "gas gauge" on the camera less than useful.

I've had similar effect, in my K3, I can hear it happen, but have not been able to isolate it, very random, but it seems less likely to happen with a freshly charged battery.
My shutter count is currently around 69,000, and it's done this for awhile.
I should pay more attention and try to isolate the circumstances.
It's never totally failed on me, it usually does it and moves on.

01-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for all your answers! In answer to K-three, yes it DOES seem to happen more when it's cold, but I hadn't thought of the battery because, as with you, it always picks up again, even for say 100 consecutive shots. OK I'll continue using the camera without worrying too much for the moment. It would be interesting to know, from anyone who has had misfortune of the shutter actually BREAKING, whether this happened suddenly, or whether there was a "build-up" to the final breakdown... Thanks again to all!!