Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

K3 shutter release button problem

Hi,
I use K-3 for about 3 years (I upgraded from K-30 after some aperture solenoid and shutter problems) and now I started to having problem with shutter release button. When I do half-press to focus it always start focusing but when I do full press to take a shot then sometimes nothing happen (focus locked OK) like the 2nd contact in the button didn't switch on full press. As a workaroud it works when I press the button by finger not in the middle but close to back edge (side to me) then It always take a shot on full press.
It's not a serious problem but I'm a bit disappointed that Pentax used some crappy switch in top model camera (I expected it should be built more robust than K-30). Does someone else have this problem on K-3? My cam is now out of warranty. Does anybody know if the switch is the same (or have compatible dimensions and contacts) as in K-30 so I could replace it?

01-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could just be stuck a little bit because of dirt. Shooting near seawater can also introduce salt and have the same effect. That happened to my K-3 and a professional Sony video camera. If that is the case it has nothing to do with the build quality of the camera.
01-31-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hm, maybe but K-3 body should be well sealed and I didn't take it near to sea. How did you solved it? Just did some cleaning? Of course I should try it first but I have bad experiences with other mechanical switches that simply wear out and the contact resistance will rise that more pressure have to be applied until it loose contact at all. On other hand I have no any problems with shutter release button on all my prev. cams including cheap compacts...
01-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RayeR Quote
but I'm a bit disappointed that Pentax used some crappy switch in top model camera (I expected it should be built more robust than K-30). Does someone else have this problem on K-3?
No problems here in almost five years of ownership. Is there any chance the switch has been gummied up with errant juice or soda?

Steve

01-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
No no, I take care about that. In a case of corrosion I would expect that it will not be sensitive on direction how button is pushed but it would have a constant problem.
I found one video where AF button is replaced -
on 1:51 I can see the shutter release button but not in a close detail. I have to browse my photos of disassembled K-30 and compare if the switch could be the same...
01-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never had a problem with switches on any camera, so what I am about to suggest might or might not be a good idea. My Honda Goldwing has push type buttons for the radio, CB and other functions which are all out in the weather. One of the buttons became stuck and I suspected a piece of dirt or grit got lodged into the button. I used a "can of compressed air" to blow into the button and it cleared out the switch and it worked properly again.
Maybe some lint or dust is lodged around your shutter switch and prevents it from working properly.
01-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RayeR Quote
Hm, maybe but K-3 body should be well sealed and I didn't take it near to sea. How did you solved it? Just did some cleaning? Of course I should try it first but I have bad experiences with other mechanical switches that simply wear out and the contact resistance will rise that more pressure have to be applied until it loose contact at all. On other hand I have no any problems with shutter release button on all my prev. cams including cheap compacts...
The compressed air option mentioned above seems like a good one. I can not in good conscience recommend the solution I used which I detailed in this thread: Pentax K-3 autofocus stuck - PentaxForums.com. It did work though...
02-16-2020, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Compressed air - no way...
I had to follow the Belarussian guy disassemble video to remove top cover. The switch itself is well covered so nothing can be done without getting in. I had to disassemble the tiny switch and observed that the metal membrane was a bit oxidized on inner side. It looks like a silver (a bit cheaper), definitely not gold that should stay innert. So I cleaned the membrane surface and contacts in the switch body and put it back together. Now my shutter-release actuate sensitive and accurate as before the problem started so I hape it will last long. There seems not be any replacement switch on ebay/aliexpress... If someone else will have this problem I warn that the switch and it's internals are very tiny, sharp vision, tiny tweezers and still hands needed...

Attached Images

Last edited by RayeR; 02-16-2020 at 09:19 PM.
07-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just followed the disassembly video and cleaned up the switch membrane as you posted here and my K3 seems to be back to normal. I have been having the same issue with the shutter switch for a while but recently it had been getting worse. Now it fires without hesitation. Thanks for posting this.