Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 11:35 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Welcome! The k-1 is a great camera so I hope you can get one some time soon
Oh, how about Friday from Japan? Damn Paypal and their 24 month interest free financing

02-16-2020, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
could someone make CameraVille go away?
Will no-one rid me of this troublesome priest?

Careful what you wish for Henry. ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by ddinmpls Quote
Unreal! How can Pentax not be more popular?
Another question I take as rhetorical.

Welcome to PF. Glad you are enjoying your Pentax.
02-16-2020, 04:03 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree, so you were not referring to advertising per se. The problem with YouTube or the Facebook page is that both require that you go looking for it, so I just did. I searched on Goggle for "Why should I buy a Pentax". At the top was a question posed to Quora followed by two videos by Mattias Burling and one by CameraVille and then a whole bunch of forum posts and a fairly recent shutterbug article that was pretty decent. Translation, this is not looking good (could someone make CameraVille go away?) and I asked for the brand by name!

I would have expected to at least see a little bit from Ricoh somewhere, so yes, your point is well-taken. Changing it up a little, I asked, "Is Pentax a good camera brand". This one was a little better and brought up a 2017 Adorama article on best camera brands where Pentax was given third place billing below Canon and Nikon (in that order), but ahead of the rest of all the rest. There was also a blogger article from about a week ago on best brands where Pentax placed 4th by popularity just behind Sony. The assessment was very positive except for suggesting that the company is dying and that it has a limited lens selection.

Hmmmmm...

How about "best camera brand to buy"? First promising link (best cameras of 2020), no Pentax. Another best for 2020...again, no Pentax. Third link kept popping up unrelated "stuff"; ditto for the second. PC Magazine...no Pentax. Ricoh N. America has a page called "Five Reasons to Buy Pentax", but it is invisible to Google search. (No SEO... )

It appears there is a general failure in effort to sell cameras to noobs and perhaps not anyone. The Pentax USA Web site is OK, but makes for a hard user experience overall with camera detail pages for the KP and K-70 that make no attempt to sell the camera.

I knew things were bad, just not this bad.

Steve
I don't really know how this stuff works, but in my mind (from a North America-centric stand point) I see Ricoh using Kerrick James, and other reps to create a real channel with periodic updates. Them on location, them setting up a specific shot.

Maybe they just need to cozy up more to the folks at DP Review and B and H and Adorama and give them some real inside info along with some instructional stuff on how to get the most of K mount cameras. Anyway, as you say, there is little English content out there, although they do have some reps who do amazing work with Pentax gear (see Mike Muizbelt and Kerrick James, among others).
02-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh, how about Friday from Japan? Damn Paypal and their 24 month interest free financing
that was fast

02-16-2020, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Will no-one rid me of this troublesome priest?
Careful what you wish for Henry. ;-)

Couldn't resist googling this, as it vaguely sounded like something from Shakespeare. But of course, it is something King Henry II supposedly said back in 1170. A couple of days later, Archbishop Thomas Becket's brains lay scattered on the floor of the northwest transept of Canterbury Cathedral because four of Henry's knights took the king's words of exasperation as an instruction.
02-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once you go Full Frame you can never go back.
02-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

unreal-how-can-pentax-not-more-popular?

It's easy. When technical performance became more important than photographic performance, Pentax decided to stay on the path they had chosen and started to fall behind where it mattered in the marketplace.

02-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's several things going on

First of all, this general problem---a galaxy-sized blind spot about effective marketing--- has existed for a long time, so it's ingrained in Pentax corporate culture, and if you think about how people advance in a corporate culture, you'll easily understand why it perpetuates.

2, Pentax, from the above, has become very Japan-centric. It's an island nation in more ways than one.

3, the Hoya debacle really hurt outside of Japan, and Ricoh has been oddly passive about correcting some of that.

4, Nikon and Canon really grabbed the market from the '80's on. As significant as what Sony has done in the last decade, they are still not close to de-throning Canon. And that's with cameras and some lenses now that are blowing Canon out of the water (imo---but I am familiar with Canon bodies from work). Those 2 companies are powerhouses, and now so is Sony, with Fuji next.

5, Pentax is and has been an innovator, but not in the ways that are currently sexy. The difficulty here is that the Pentax advantages, and I definitely think there are some, aren't as easily explained to many folks, and indeed aren't needed by many folks. I think the best are much more pro-like than the 5DmkIV, for instance. Good luck getting people to understand this.

6, I do think the lack of better video is a bit of a drag on the brand in 2020---even though lots of the people buying cameras barely use video! But think of it like cars, and you'll maybe see what I mean. Cars have features most drivers barely use.

That's some of it. When you don't have a market presence at all, in the 21st century, it's a problem.

The good news is that I don't think Pentax is over-extended. Not so sure about Nikon and Oly.