Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Funny how that happens to old lenses. I bought an FA 28-200. I knew it was poorly rated but it was $100. What's guy to do? It's now the lens cap for my shelf bound SF1. My SMC 50 1.4 is the lens cap for my ME. My SMC 50 ƒ2 is on my Program Plus. They look so much better in the cupboards with a lens on them, as opposed to a body cap.
Your old smc lenses probably even more than the 18-55. It is just too modern looking without aperture rings and the green ring.
I might purchase another smc, now that I think about it

03-11-2020, 05:39 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
With respect to the Pentax DA 18-55 zooms, keep in mind there are at least 3 different versions (I own two of them). The “original” 18-55 came on my *istDL. After a year or two of shooting, I noticed problems with sharpness. Apparently Pentax agreed because they changed the optics and released the DA 18-55 Mark II which was a noticeable improvement in my opinion. I believe the Mark II optics are the same as what is in the DA 18-55 WR. So just stay away from the original 18-55 and I think it is a good starter lens. I took lots of pictures with it!
04-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I'm with Apet-Sure on the early 17-70 Sigma f 2.8 -f 4.5 DC (read my review in the lens review thread to which he posted!) as it's been my walkaround lens of choice for the last several years, and will probably be for the foreseeable future. IMHO, IF you can find one, it will be cheap and so buy it .

PS: and the later versions aren't "that bad" either - but will be more expensive
I'll still go with my earlier suggestion as above, together with a 55-300 PLM for the distance shots.
04-12-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

If I had to start everything from the beginning when it comes to buying camera equipment...I would buy an ASP-C DSLR as modern as I could afford, to get the higher resolution at higher ISO. I've got a number of lenses , but if I was limited to just a few...the 18-135 would be on my list. For fast work indoors...as others have mentioned...a fast nifty fifty from about F 1.4 to F 1.8. I have a 50 F 1.4, but mostly I use it at F 2.0...in my case the pix at that F stop and higher...(F 2.4, F 2.8, etc.) seem to be clearer.

When I could afford it, a 55-300.

Many buy used and that could be a big saver, as others have said.

04-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum, seems you got plenty of suggestions here, enjoy your K-3
04-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I first started in DSLRs I started with the kit lenses included with my Kx camera, they were DALs 18-55, and 50-200. ya they were great, they did the job, but then I was yearning for more and I wanted weather resistant cameras and lenses, so I purchased the K5 and the DA18-135, I was actually blown away, this combination performed flawlessly and it was rugged and weather sealed, it handled everything I ever threw at it. I used that combination for 90% of my shots for 5~6 years until I could afford more expensive lenses, during that time I managed to figure out my main focal lengths that I used most, zooms allow that, they help you determine what works for you.
I still to this day have the K5/18-135 combo, my wife uses it extensively with her learning photography, occasionally she asks to use my 100mmWR lens for macro, that of which she is leaning towards.
I have moved up to the K3 (have two of them now) and the K1, I have faster lenses, due to the fact that I spent the last ten years saving up for them and learning on the K5/lens combo mentioned above. I have had the HD DA 55-300, and lost it in a home burglary, bought the PLM version with insurance money. I have found that both lenses are nice, but with one huge difference....Noise and focus speed. if you like to listen to a loud whirring noise while the lens racks in and out searching to lock in focus.....then the HD one is for you, if you want super quiet and fast focusing....then get the PLM, take this as serious advice...
I mostly recommend you get your hands on a DA 18-135, and a 55-300 PLM first, then you can experiment and find your most used focal lengths for when it comes to determining what size prime lenses to buy, plus once you DO get those primes, you will STILL use the two lenses mentioned above because THEY ARE THAT GOOD. I also recommend that you get Pentax lenses that have weather sealing, this is one of my biggest reasons why I have shot Pentax all this time...
I still use the 18-135 occasionally on my K01, but that is my walk around set up for downtown walks here in Vegas. for my pro shooting I mainly use my DA*s 16-50 f2.8, and 50-135 f2.8, I have one on each of my K3 bodies. I also like my ultra wide Sigma (yes I have a Sigma lens) 8-16mmwhich I just love using, my other two lenses I love using mainly on my K1 is my DFAs 150-450, and 100 f2.8 macro WR. currently saving up for a DFA15-30 f2.8.
I found a way to save up without breaking my bank, I allot myself $50 a week for "photo gear" fund, with lots of patience and time I find it isnt that hard to come up with funding for my hobbie, an old timer taught me that trick a while back, I'm not a rich man but $50 bux a week I never missed. I'm about a month or two away now towards my 15-30mm lens goal...
I have also figured out a way to get my hands on lots of great lenses, I comb the local pawn shops here in Vegas, nobody ever goes in those stores looking for Pentax gear, thats how I find some good used gear, it is rare that I buy something brand new, the only thing I ever bought new over the last ten years was my K5 back in 2011, all the rest of my bodies and lenses are used, one time I had an issue but it got sent back and refunded by the seller, however I never had any issues otherwise, either from the marketplace here or pawnshops locally, even got my K1 off of OfferUp and the seller was local, I met with him in person and did the deal.

Last edited by BirdDude007; 04-25-2020 at 05:47 PM.
04-26-2020, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #37
Unregistered User

Since lower focal length numbers means wider angle of view, and since most of what you say you want to take pictures of involve wide-angle shots (try getting the whole group of scouts around the pinewood derby track with a 50mm!), I agree with the 18-135 recommendation. But I'd just get that one for now, since it has a range that will encompass mild telephoto as well. Some folks complain that the zoom lens will suck up more light (hence the difference in the maximum aperture diameter numbers - 1.8 is a wider aperture than 3.5), but I've never found that to be a real problem, except in low light situations, and your camera's ISO range is more than enough to compensate for that. I found it to be a terrific and versatile lens. Once you get the hang of that camera, you may want to save your pennies for the 50mm f/1.4, which is a really terrific lens. You may also decide that you may want a full-frame camera at some point and invest in one or two full-frame lenses, which will also work on your camera. You're going to want to preserve your options, and investing in stuff you later decide you don't need, or in stuff that is of lower quality than you really want, will tie up your money and make you reluctant to buy "upgrade" replacements for what you've already got. My suggestion, get the one lens and when you've mastered how to use it and your camera, you'll be in a better position to know what it is you really want and need; don't jump in with both feet all at once.

Here's a review:
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-26-2020 at 05:47 AM.
04-26-2020, 05:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I still to this day have the K5/18-135 combo, my wife uses it extensively with her learning photography, occasionally she asks to use my 100mmWR lens for macro, that of which she is leaning towards.
My wife passed on my 18-135 (fortunately). We bought her a Tamron 17-50. But not before she started using my Tamron 90 macro as her main lens. which she still uses. Is there a trend her? Women and long macros used as walk arounds?

One of these days I'm going to go though my archives and see how many 18-135 keepers I have. I can almost guarantee it's more than 3000.
04-26-2020, 06:32 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Slightly "off the side" - if 17mm/18mm proves not to be "wide enough" then the old Sigma f4-f5.6 10-20mm zoom is pretty good and can probably be picked up for around $200 or so (it's my indoor general purpose lens of choice a lot of the time).

Only downsides in my view: tendency to flaring if the correct hood is not used, and, being quite large, blocks part of the beam from the built-in flash.
05-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #40

Flute215 sent you a PM regarding some lenses.