Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2020, 06:11 AM   #1

Wireless shutter release question.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi looking for a wireless shutter release for my K3ii(if it works on my K30 as well that's a bonus). I have come across the JJC-PK1 on Amazon, which says it's for the K70 and KP. Has anyone used one with a K3/K3ii or know if it is compatible?

I don't really want to spend too much, as I probably won't use it often and this seems to fit the bill if it works.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

04-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you talking about infra red remotes

if so, take a look at those listed here

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

both the K 3 and K 3 II have infra red " ports " on the front and back of the camera
QuoteQuote:
Infrared Ports
The K-3 has infrared ports on the front and on the back for use with infrared remote controls like the Pentax Remote Control F. In self-timer or remote mode, both the front and rear ports light up to indicate that the camera is ready or that it is counting down.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-3-review/construction-and-hand...#ixzz6IeTUPcd1

the K 30 only has one:
QuoteQuote:
the Pentax K-30 has only the one infrared port embedded into the grip
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k30/pentax-k30A.HTM

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-04-2020 at 06:52 AM.
04-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I bought a JJC for my K-5, and it did not work. It could have been operator error on my part.

I also bought the Pentax trigger, which didn't work, and you can't replace the battery, so not worth the price.

Now I use a Pluto Trigger, which costs much more, but also offers many more options, such as lightning trigger, noise trigger, IR beam trigger, intervalometer. If those functions interest you, I encourage you to look into this device.
04-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought one of these years ago, it's worked through IST DS, K200d, K30 and now K3ii. Pixel RW-221 E3 Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control for Canon EOS Pentax | eBay.

04-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
are you talking about infra red remotes

if so, take a look at those listed here

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

both the K 3 and K 3 II have infra red " ports " on the front and back of the camera

Read more at: Pentax K-3 Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

the K 30 only has one:

Pentax K-30 Review
Thanks for response, but don't really want a IR one, as I won't always be facing the IR ports on the camera. I thought an RF might he better, also has more range.

Andy

---------- Post added 04-04-20 at 07:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, I bought a JJC for my K-5, and it did not work. It could have been operator error on my part.

I also bought the Pentax trigger, which didn't work, and you can't replace the battery, so not worth the price.

Now I use a Pluto Trigger, which costs much more, but also offers many more options, such as lightning trigger, noise trigger, IR beam trigger, intervalometer. If those functions interest you, I encourage you to look into this device.
Thanks I will check this out.

Andy

---------- Post added 04-04-20 at 07:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I bought one of these years ago, it's worked through IST DS, K200d, K30 and now K3ii. Pixel RW-221 E3 Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control for Canon EOS Pentax | eBay.
Thanks, this was another option if the JJC one wasn't a viable option.

Andy
04-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you want radio release, I use a pair of Cactus V5 triggers for camera release.
04-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
If you want radio release, I use a pair of Cactus V5 triggers for camera release.
Thanks, I will research, as I didn't see any Cactus products when I was looking at Amazon.

Andy

04-04-2020, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A little bit more upscale but you may want to take a look at the MIOPS smart trigger. Works with a smart phone and has a lot of additional triggering modes for additional creativity.
04-04-2020, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
A little bit more upscale but you may want to take a look at the MIOPS smart trigger. Works with a smart phone and has a lot of additional triggering modes for additional creativity.
Yes, this is another good option. Plug the miops trigger into your cameras shutter release port and operate it from your smart phone with a bluetooth app. Gets you lots of options besides just shutter release.
04-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The JJC I bought for my K3ll also works with my K1mk2...I've bought JJC remotes for years and they have always worked well for me.
04-04-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Thanks but probably a bit expensive for the use it will get.

Andy

---------- Post added 04-04-20 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The JJC I bought for my K3ll also works with my K1mk2...I've bought JJC remotes for years and they have always worked well for me.
Is it the one I mentioned above? I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but would be useful to have confirmation.

Thanks.

Andy