Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2020, 02:07 AM   #1

Using Pentax-M lenses with K-3

Hi folks. Just joined the forum a couple of days ago, after lifting my K-3 out of prolonged period of non-use due to work commitments. At last I've found the time to investigate most of the camera's functions. But one thing is puzzling me - maybe more later. I have 3 Pentax-M lenses from my ME Super 35mm days. Obviously not autofocus or anything, but what I don't get is that when I alter the aperture ring, say all the way from 2.8 to 22, the metering in the camera doesn't alter a bit, as if it's fixing on one particular aperture no matter where I position the ring. So there seems to be no way of controlling depth of field. What am I missing? I'm not stupid! Or am I?? Thanks for any replies.

04-24-2020, 02:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The steps for using M lenses can be found here:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

The catch is that the lens will only actually stop down when you press the green button/dof preview button, and when you go to take the shot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2020, 04:53 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Original Poster
Thanks so much for that. I was still having an issue until I realised that the auto shutter speed would not be selected untiI I pressed the green button. I was only using the dof button. Cheers.
04-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

If you have enabled the use of the aperture ring and set the DOF preview to optical in Manual mode:
The DOF preview will close down the aperture. You can then set the exposure using the exposure bars in the viewfinder. Adjust the shutter speed with the eDial and the aperture with the ring on the lens. This is analogous to doing a "needle match" manual exposure setting on a MF camera.

The aperture will close down to the set F-stop when you take the exposure.

04-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The catch is that the lens will only actually stop down when you press the green button/dof preview button, and when you go to take the shot.
Just to add, the lens will only stop down when you take the shot in M mode. do not use any of the auto modes like Av
04-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abbotsway Quote
I have 3 Pentax-M lenses from my ME Super 35mm days.
Welcome to the forum! I too have an ME Super that came with an M50mm/f1.7 lens. It's one of my best lenses, and has done great on my K10D, K-5IIs, and now KP.
04-25-2020, 01:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you have enabled the use of the aperture ring and set the DOF preview to optical in Manual mode:
The DOF preview will close down the aperture. You can then set the exposure using the exposure bars in the viewfinder. Adjust the shutter speed with the eDial and the aperture with the ring on the lens. This is analogous to doing a "needle match" manual exposure setting on a MF camera.

The aperture will close down to the set F-stop when you take the exposure.
Thank you. Yes I had found this out by accident, but found it quite cumbersome. So when I suddenly found that the green button did an auto set it was quite a relief.

04-25-2020, 01:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Just to add, the lens will only stop down when you take the shot in M mode. do not use any of the auto modes like Av
Thanks, yes I'd got that far! It was the green button which turned out to be my saviour!
04-25-2020, 01:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Welcome to the forum! I too have an ME Super that came with an M50mm/f1.7 lens. It's one of my best lenses, and has done great on my K10D, K-5IIs, and now KP.
Well I HAD an ME Super, but the film transport mechanism became unreliable so that images occasionally overlapped. The lenses I have kept: 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.7 obviously, and 80-200mm 4.5. The 200mm becomes more like a 300mm with the K-3 of course. Cheers.