Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
Banned

Did I just Brick My K-3?

I downloaded the K-3 file and inserted SD card in camera. I got the loading message. Left power on. Then message stopped and screen went dark. I di not see the Completed message. I relized that my camera auto shut off was active. Have not turned off and on yet. Does the upgrade keep camera on or did the auto shut off just brick my camera? Nothing was mentioned about auto shut off in instructions.

05-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't speak to the K-3, but in the past I have had to manually turn on at least one of my Pentaxes after updating the firmware.
05-09-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Banned

Original Poster
I just got the nerve to turn it off and on again and it now shows updated firmware. I never did see the completed message but maybe it showed up and disappeared quickly.
05-09-2020, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
I just got the nerve to turn it off and on again and it now shows updated firmware. I never did see the completed message but maybe it showed up and disappeared quickly.
And relax

05-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Phew!
05-09-2020, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Yes, a slight panic wave came over me!

---------- Post added 05-09-20 at 03:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Phew!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
05-09-2020, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Must have felt like the Fifth Second of Forever, till you knew it was OK.

05-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Must have felt like the Fifth Second of Forever, till you knew it was OK.
Genius! I knew there had to be someone on here that would eventually rear there head! Rob Calvert was the man! Was fortunate enough to see them three times here in the states. Calvert was supposed to be with them on the next visit which was already promoted but he passed just before the tour launched. '91 or so I believe.
05-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Oy! This thread is giving me post-traumatic flashbacks to when I bricked my first Pentax on a botched firmware update about eight years ago. It was a like-new *ist DL that I'd had for all of a week. Ugh! I will never forget the sick, sinking feeling when I realized it was dead and I was never more thankful for a Square Trade warranty. I sent them the camera body, kept the lens and other accessories, and got refunded my entire purchase price. It would be three years before I was able to work up the nerve to try another firmware update.
05-10-2020, 12:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

IIRC, that "problem" was quite common in the earlier days of Pentax DSLR's and happened to me on several occasions and I was unsure if updates had completed successfully - OTOH, the K-70 does now display a "completed" message.
05-10-2020, 03:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Genius! I knew there had to be someone on here that would eventually rear there head! Rob Calvert was the man! Was fortunate enough to see them three times here in the states. Calvert was supposed to be with them on the next visit which was already promoted but he passed just before the tour launched. '91 or so I believe.
First saw them 1973, at the Windsor Pop Festival - where Thames Valley police chased a bunch of us into the river ! Luckily, we were so high we floated ! And at Manchester 1976, on the Atomhenge Tour (later parodied in Spinal Tap !). I dig out Space Ritual about once a month.
05-10-2020, 05:42 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
IIRC, that "problem" was quite common in the earlier days of Pentax DSLR's and happened to me on several occasions and I was unsure if updates had completed successfully - OTOH, the K-70 does now display a "completed" message.

I remembered the auto off was set for five minutes. Then two things struck me. First is Pentax had to be smart enough to have the software override any auto shut off one would think, right? The instructions sad nothing about addressing that. Then the other was, no way this is taking more than 5 minutes. Anyways, after 20 minutes of sheer terror, I got the nerve to turn off and on again. Still don't know if that message ever showed up. I never saw it.

Perhaps Pentax can make things a little clearer for us. I mean we're not that smart, right? Glad it worked out for you as well.

---------- Post added 05-10-20 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
First saw them 1973, at the Windsor Pop Festival - where Thames Valley police chased a bunch of us into the river ! Luckily, we were so high we floated ! And at Manchester 1976, on the Atomhenge Tour (later parodied in Spinal Tap !). I dig out Space Ritual about once a month.
I sent you a message as no one else will know what we are talking about in the thread.
05-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

There is at least one other here that knows who you are talking about! Saw them quite a few times in the early 70s. The only gig I actually remember was in 1972 at Goldsmiths College, London. Also on the bill were the Pink Fairies and ...

... Sweet!!!

Unsurprisingly Sweet got a rough reception. So bad that Brian Connolly mooned the audience at the end of their set. The only other thing I remember about that gig was having to walk out a few minutes after Hawkwind started. In place of "certain substances" I had drunk rather a lot of whisky. Unfortunately, the band had pointed their strobe lights at the audience. A minute or two of that and I had an almighty headache so had to leave

And to bring this post back to Pentax , here are a few photos of the band the last time I saw them - Hawkwind Oct 2014 | Flickr taken with my old K-5
05-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
Oh man, must have been killer. I have all the Faires LP's, even Kill 'em & Eat 'em. The had reformed and played around L.A. quite a bit in the early 90's but I never went because I figured they sucked being reformed and all. Apparently, they didn't suck. Ha! I think Mick Farren was living in L.A. at that time. Larry Wallis passed recently and he was always special to me as I thought his playing on the first Motorhead LP was excellent. Something about his look and tone. Too bad it didn't work out with them but Fast Eddie did OK in the spot but definitely a different deal. I was fortunate enough to see Motorhead many times in the early to mid 80's. No they are all gone. Scary.

When I was living in Phoenix about five years or so ago, Hawkwind were booked at a small theater and I must of been the only one who bought a ticket. The show was cancelled supposedly due to visa issues but I still think it was lack of sales as they had returned to the states several times for a few shows in the 2000's. I did catch them in '89 and twice in '90. Calvert was supposed to be rejoining them so you can imagine how exited and then shocked were where when he passed. Not old Hawkwind but actually surprisingly good. I liked Bridget Wiseheart who was with them then. Also along were Bainbridge, Chadwick and Davey. I think they all bailed out years ago now. I remember Richard bumming Camels off me as he was so happy to be smoking American cigs. Got to interview Dave after one of the shows. Good times. Good to see Dave is still at it.

The one band I really wish I would have been able to see was the Groundhogs. I did also get to see Gong in around early 90's with Howlett and Moerlin with them. Met Gilli and she was so nice. Only one missing was Hillage. Now Daevid, Gilli and Moerlin are gone as well. Sigh

---------- Post added 05-11-20 at 03:16 PM ----------

Great photos! Thanks. Sweet were actually pretty tight. I still have Desolation Blvd as it was called in the US. There is a doc on Sweet reforming. I don't remember the name of it. Brian looks like a 70 year old man with Parkinsons. He was probably in his late 40's or early 50's. It's actually a really sad sight.
05-12-2020, 03:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I remember updating my K-7 firmware but being nervous of the required 32gb memory card. How big is the firmware patch, I wondered? I mean, that’s the biggest card an original spec K-7 could take! Thankfully it went without a hitch, and took less than a minute or so, but was glad the auto power-off was disabled for the process.

Dunno about Sweet, but Steve Hackett would be good to see on a “Genesis Revisited” tour.

Oh yes, and is your K-3 black, or is it a Silver Machine? People would like to know.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 05-12-2020 at 03:13 AM.