Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3ii GPS Battery Drain

In another thread I mentioned that I will sometimes find my K-3ii's battery dead a day or two after shooting. It seems to be after I've had the GPS on, and then left it on after turning the camera off. Someone else in the thread (I think it was the "New APS-C is" thread under news and rumors) said they'd experienced much the same thing.

So while I'm here in my home office all week I put in a fully charged battery, turned on the K-3ii, turned on GPS, and have just had the camera sitting there for over 24 hours. During the day I'll half-press the shutter once in a while to wake it up, it'll indicate it's re-syncing the GPS, then after a while it goes back to sleep.

I started this yesterday at 10:20am. It's currently 12:30pm and the battery indicator is still fully green, seemingly fully charged.

So I don't know. After another day or two of this maybe I'll turn off the camera after enabling GPS and see if there's any difference.

Anyone else had any battery draining experiences related to GPS?

05-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've left my K-3II without use for over a month and still had battery left. GPS is always active. But that is with the camera turned off. Maybe if just asleep the battery would drain but I've never tested that.
05-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm confused

you can set the camera to turn off automatically if you are concerned about battery drain because you left GPS on

see page 31 of the owner's manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-2.pdf

that would stop any battery drain wouldn't it

when I manually turn on my K 3 II and engage the gps function and then turn off the K 3 II, the GPS light goes off

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-19-2020 at 11:06 AM.
05-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No issues with that ever, but I religiously turn off GPS before powering off camera.

05-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've been confused about battery status after leaving the K-3 II off. Basically having a near full battery putting the camera away for a couple of days and finding it near empty when I start it again.

I leave the gps on all the time. (not logging) When I turn the camera on the gps come online. If it's a problem it's intermittent and I haven't noticed it happening for quite a while. It's only ever being a suspicion and I've not made an effort to test.
05-19-2020, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of the mysterious battery drain be be from a battery that is approaching the end of it's life. A higher self discharge rate is one of many signs of a battery that needs replacing. Of the 6 I own one will self discharge to empty in 2 days but if used right out of the charger seems to have only a slightly lower capacity than the newest battery. That battery is also the oldest of all of them being from 2010, of the others 4 are from 2012 and 1 is from 2014, so one of the things on my list to get eventually is some new batteries but am kind of holding off to see what the K-new takes since that camera really interests me enough to consider getting new given the rumors and likely sensor.
05-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I can't add anything to this thread about long term use of GPS as I've only recently decided to leave it switched on. Since doing so, I have not noticed any significant difference in battery performance, and certainly no self-draining whilst the camera is turned off. I have not separately turned off the GPS.

05-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Some of the mysterious battery drain be be from a battery that is approaching the end of it's life
This could certainly be the case for me as some of my batteries are from the K-5 days. It's interesting though why people, including myself, suspect the gps. I'm not saying the gps is not the cause.
05-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I answered in your other thread, that my battery drained if the GPS was left on - but I tried it, oh must be three years or so ago or more now (had my K-3II since November 2015), so I'm trying it again, Fresh battery, GPS on, and then main switch off. I'll turn the main switch on in the morning and leave it, and see what happens.
05-20-2020, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update... we're into day three of the K-3ii sitting on my desk, power switch on, GPS on, and I half-press the shutter to wake it up every once in a while. And the battery indicator is still full green. I think I've dismissed the idea that leaving GPS and the camera on by accident causes battery drain. It certainly appears that when the camera goes to sleep it goes into a low quiescent current state, even with GPS on.
05-20-2020, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-3II always has the gps on because having an accurate record of camera location and direction is quite handy when birding . Using a battery grip loaded with AA nimhs prolongs in-camera battery life but I notice one in-camera battery is less reliable especially in below 40 degree weather . The gps does not seem to cause me grief maybe because it is always on ,
05-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
In another thread I mentioned that I will sometimes find my K-3ii's battery dead a day or two after shooting. It seems to be after I've had the GPS on, and then left it on after turning the camera off.
Was it in the camera bag? If so perhaps something was pressing on the shutter button.

Also if you leave the camera on while connected to a USB port on a computer the camera won't go to sleep. That can drain the battery too.
05-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Was it in the camera bag? If so perhaps something was pressing on the shutter button.

Also if you leave the camera on while connected to a USB port on a computer the camera won't go to sleep. That can drain the battery too.
I had thought of the first point, and it's possible.

I never connect the camera via USB, so that's not it.
05-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3II still showing full charge with GPS on, power switch on. (GPS indicator light disabled, as the top LCD shows GPS on.)
05-21-2020, 05:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Into day four and the battery indicator is still full.