Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2020, 07:24 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The two sliders that can't be moved on the Dine version of the flash do not affect how the flash operates, they merely adjust the distance and F stop windows that you'd see if you removed the Dine label. The key to understanding this has to do with the flash's Guide Number (GN) or power of the flash. The GN for the Point Light is 92 and for the Ring Light it's 40 at ISO 100 and this is in feet. If you change the ISO in your camera to say 400, the GN of the Point Light doubles to 184 and the Ring Light to 80. At ISO 200, it's 129 and 56, respectively.

To use the GN, you simply divide it by the distance in feet to your subject and that gives you the F stop you use on your camera. Or, you divide the GN by the F stop you want to use and it gives you the distance you should be from your subject for "proper" exposure. By example, if you want to use f8 at ISO 100 and the Point Flash, the distance to the subject should be 92 / 8 = 11.5 feet.

In Manual mode, the flash always puts out full power and you control the exposure by the distance to your subject and the f stop on the lens.

In Auto mode, the flash should expose properly at a range of 1.3 to 3.3 feet at F11 and ISO 100 with the Ring Flash, and at a range of 1.3 to 6.3 feet with the Point flash.

All of this can be gleaned from the Yuzo manual or the back of the flash without the Dine label.

The TTL mode of the flash isn't compatible with the K3, but that is "likely" where you would set the switch for using the flash in Manual mode. I say likely, because I haven't tested it to know for sure.

In Auto mode, the manual says that if you press the Ready button and test fire the flash, the confirmation LED should light if you are within range for proper exposure.

06-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a photo of the back of the Dine/Yuzo flash with the Dine label removed. Scratches in plastic complements of scraping the glue residue off with a piece of plastic.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
06-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #33
Banned

Original Poster
What are the various ISO settings and what changes on the flash when different ISO is selected?
06-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
What are the various ISO settings and what changes on the flash when different ISO is selected?
Nothing changes on the flash in terms of function when different ISO/ASA settings are chosen. The only thing that changes is the recommended aperture setting on the rear of the flash. Double the ISO and the recommended aperture shifts one stop narrower.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-02-2020 at 10:57 AM.
06-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hawkfan, nothing happens that affects the flash output (unless you select 1/16 power). Those sliders merely shift what's seen in various windows on the flash back and tell you what settings to use on the camera. The vertical slider on the right side simply changes what appears in the windows below "ASA" and "DIN." That slider also changes what appears under "F-stop." That vertical slider on the left side simply changes what appears in all those windows under "Distance (TTL - MAX)," Which distance values you see in the windows depends on whether you have the slider set up to P (point flash) or down to R (ring flash). The distances change because the Ring and Point flashes have different Guide Numbers.

For instance, if you have the slider that's located to the right of the ready lamp set to "AUTO" and the ISO window showing 100, the appropriate F-stop to use is F/11 and that value is illuminate in red. If you have the ISO slider set to 400, the stop to use would be F/22, The flash is simply telling you what F-stop to set on your lens according to the ISO you set on the back of the flash. Of course, the camera needs to be set to the same ISO for proper exposure.
06-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Now this brings me to ask another thick headed "I know nothing about flash" question.
Two thick heads are better than one! (Two thick heads equals one thin head?)
06-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #37
Banned

Original Poster
OK, well I think I may just remove the Dine label then. I wasn't going to as I wanted to leave it as is but it's not like it's a rare collectible and it may be worthwhile and it's got me curious. Uh oh.

06-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #38

I transferred most of the information from the back "calculator" chart to a spreadsheet. If I get ambitious I might even duplicate the ISO slider function. Not that it is really necessary. It's just simple multiplication and division. One F-stop for each F-Stop of ISO change.

For example if the F--stop setting at ISO 100 is f11 changing the ISO to 200 changes the f-stop to f16. Going to ISO 400 changes the aperture setting to f22.

1/16th power is four stops under from full power so just open up 4 stops. Example full power - at 0.4m set to f32. At 1/16th use f8.
06-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding the ISO/F-stop slider on the right side, the ISO sequence goes 64,100, 200, 400, 1000, 1600. I'm not sure why they use 1000 instead of 800 which would be the normal progression.

I started to test the Dine flash and lens on my K-3II to see if the Auto mode was working properly, but I didn't get very far. I was getting a magenta/purplish cast to my images on the back of the camera. First I thought the flash might be the problem since I hadn't used it in quite a while, but I got the same result with another flash. Well, maybe the lens, but no again. Maybe, the auto white balance, was failing. Went outside and used Daylight white balance, but still the magenta/purple. Then, after numerous tests I finally figured out that I had somehow changed the Tone setting to Bleach Bypass so all of the images on the screen had this magenta/purple cast, Of course, the RAW images were fine, so all is now well, but I didn't get back to testing.
06-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #40
Banned

Original Poster
Nothing like looking at the world through Magenta colored glasses! Especially right now. I plan on getting out this week and trying out. We are on Galveston Island right now at this point in our extended RV trip. I just got a new tripod this week too so time to set it up. I'll post up ( if worth it). Excellent helpful info folks.