Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Image on K-3 screen too bright

Hi everyone. I have a strange problem with my K-3. With all settings normal, the preview image that comes up on the screen after a shot typically shows overexposre of two stops, with highlight clipping often showing. Now, when I open that same image in Camera Raw, the exposure is just fine. Yes, I can live with it, but it's really annoying.I can't find a camera setting that will help me fix this. And yes, firmware is up to date. Below is a side-by-side comparison of two images made with identical settings: the left image shot with a K-70 (showing correct esposure), and the right image shot with the misbehaving K-3 (showing two stops over). This just started happening in the last couple of weeks. Anyone have a solution for this? Thanks!

Attached Images

06-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's the screen brightness? That looks like it's set to +2 or so, I get the same effect on the K-1
06-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Closed Account

Try going to the MENU, spanner 1, and check what the LCD Brightness setting is. Good luck.
06-09-2020, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies. Adjusting screen brightness has no effect. This is another problem all together. The only way to get the preview to "look" correct, is to underexpose two stops, but that causes other problems, obviously. I can live with my preview being two stops over, but it's just so annoying! Anyone have any other ideas?

06-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Try setting exposure manually and comparing with the same lens. This isolates metering from some other issue like a sticky aperture on the lens

---------- Post added 06-09-20 at 10:38 AM ----------

If the lens works fine, you can also try comparing between live view metering and through the viewfinder. Live view should be identical between the k3 and k70, and also the most accurate. The meter for the viewfinder is probably different between the two cameras. Maybe the one on the k3 got some dust on it?

Finally, look at the histogram to eliminate any other display difference

Last edited by aaacb; 06-09-2020 at 07:39 AM.
06-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Live view on the K-3 looks the same as the image viewed on the screen after shooting, about two stops over. I almost always shoot with live view (and manual focus, most of my work is product photography). Through the viewfinder, all is well (as would be expected). But both live view and image preview after shooting are over by two stops. Once in ACR, they look just fine. Live view on the K-70 is perfect, as is the image preview. And sure, setting the display to two stops darker helps live view "look" better, but the preview image still shows overexposure with highlight clipping, even though everything is really fine. This is quite the mystery....
06-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1) Check the various image-related settings on the K-3. Although these do not impact the RAW image, they do change the thumbnail, preview, and playback image (and can change the default settings your PC uses on the image).

2) Take the SD card from the K-70, put it in the K-3 and playback that properly exposed image you used in your post (#118-2408). If an image taken with the K-70 looks the same on the K-3 screen, you know it's not the screen.

06-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SPLewis Quote
Thanks for the quick replies. Adjusting screen brightness has no effect. This is another problem all together. The only way to get the preview to "look" correct, is to underexpose two stops, but that causes other problems, obviously. I can live with my preview being two stops over, but it's just so annoying! Anyone have any other ideas?
By any chance did you accidentally change the custom image setting (► on 4-way switch) to mute? Unfortunately, inadvertent changes due to a poorly placed base-of-thumb are fairly common with the K-3 since there is no confirmation step. Custom image settings only affect live view and the in-camera JPEG, which includes both the rear display and embedded preview images for the DNG/PEF RAW files. The rear display histogram is also effected.

FWIW...I have done this numerous times before getting my hand trained, as have multiple other users on this this site. I currently have my K-3 set to forget the custom image settings when the camera is turned off to avoid this annoyance.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-09-2020 at 08:09 AM.
06-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fascinating ideas, Photoptimist! I shot the same scene with both cameras with identical settings onto the same SD card. When viewed on the back of the K-3, the K-3 image was two stops over (as typical), but the K-70 image was spot on. And when I opened both images in ACR, although there were some minor colar balance differences, the exposures were both perfect. So, according to your #2, above, the problem is NOT the K-3 screen. But that begs the question, what is the real problem? If it's not the screen, then how is the K-3 showing me one exposure (overexposed), while at the same time capturing a perfectly exposed image?

---------- Post added 06-09-20 at 08:10 AM ----------

Hi Steve. Yes, I did mute it by accident! Now, how do I unmute it?
06-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi Steve. Yes, I did mute it by accident! Now, how do I unmute it?
Change it back to "Bright", the default.

Steve
06-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just change it back to "bright"?

Hold on, I just changed it back to "bright" and all seems well.

Thanks a ton for that!!!
06-09-2020, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just change it back to "bright"?

Hold on, I just changed it back to "bright" and all seems well.

Thanks a ton for that!!!
I have my camera set up to forget custom image setting when it is turned off; just so that an accidental change is not carried over between sessions. (I have big hands.)

Menu ► Record Mode tab 3 ► Memory

Steve