Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1

-=New K-3 owner=-

I've hade a few other Pentax and now I have the K-3 and like it a lot. I have had a *ist DL for a bit and still own it. My Mothers Brother past and I have some new toys.

I'just had the Sony Nex5 too and it just felt like a toy in my man hands but it took pretty good shots.
anyways I was wondering what are your favorite things about your K3? Why does it serve you well?

07-10-2020, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to PF!

I have two K-3 bodies; one I bought new and has well over 100K shots on it and the second one I bought barely used....

my favorite thing about the K-3? aside from the build quality and the fact that it is ergonomically fantastic in my hands?

the photos it is able to capture are simply amazing....
07-10-2020, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Wow a 100k shots huh that's crazy. yeah i have the battery grip too and it just feels right, substantial, and solid. thanks for the welcome! lookin at your shots now
07-10-2020, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you will like the K-3. Its my only crop body that stands up well against the two FF K-1ii bodies I have. If I upgrade to the K-new crop body (forthcoming soon I hope) I will replace my K-7 but keep the trusty K-3. With the grip, it can accommodate the largest lenses, but without the grip it looks right at home with the DA limited lenses... tiny. It has a built in flash for fill, but with the GPS unit, it has all of the functionality of GPS including astrotracer. It has weathered whale-watching drenchings, falls down trails and many other hazards. Its a keeper.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 07-10-2020 at 08:21 AM.
07-10-2020, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my k-3. I am into astrophotography so astrotracer with the O-GPS1 add on was a big benifit to me. Add in that it can take the abuse I put it through (lots of -25F nights out with it in the winter) and it just keeps rolling along. I'm probably pushing around 60K shutter actuations with it and haven't had a problem. I like it enought that when I saw a steal of a deal on a K-3ii locally I grabbed that last fall. Now I often will run both cameras for astro either on different targets or with different focal lengths. Looking forward to sticking them both on my small equatorial shortly and doing some wide astro shots with dual 50mm lenses.

I'v brought it to lots of scouting events in all sorts of weather and do like the weather sealing because camping can be unpredictable. The body is durable and can take some abuse like a fall or accidental drop which yes happen at scouting events. Add in that most of what I own is vintage glass and it just works with all of it and the K-3 has been a camera I don't regret purchasing.
07-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

I replaced a used K 5 II with a K 3 and never looked back

as you can tell, I like the K 3 series a lot

- the build

- the physical feel ( I use the battery grip ]

- its capabilities [ which I haven't really started to use fully ]
07-10-2020, 11:50 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EXman Quote
Anyways I was wondering what are your favorite things about your K3? Why does it serve you well?

For many reasons. But mostly because it's been the camera that has never stopped giving, on so many levels. Between the images below lie almost six years of use, or nearly 12,000 actuations. The first was shot at ISO 100, the second at ISO 5000. Learn to use your K-3, afford it some good glass and treat it well, and it will follow you wherever your creativity may lead you.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 07-10-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Simple advice added.
07-10-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Looks like I got a good one those are all great testimonials. I look forward to sharing with you!

what are some of your favorite lenses?
07-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like I got a good one those are all great testimonials. I look forward to sharing with you!

what are some of your favorite lenses?
talk about starting a " conversation "

next you will ask for advice on what to buy

some of us [ ] love to advise members on how to spend their money

________________________-

if you have a moment, here is a couple threads to look at:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why
Read more at: Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why
Read more at: the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

-----------------------------

seriously lens choice depends a lot on what your " target " is

what are your photographic interests

macro

sport

portrait

telephoto

wide angle

normal

wildlife

etc, etc, etc
07-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
Ha Ha spending other peoples money yes! I will tell you that could be a convo. But like any good camera system there are some good go to's in len's like an old sony A mount lens called "The Beercan for obvious reasons.

I do have an assortment of lens almost all prime and quick, but I have no experience with them yet so we will see. I'll probably end up trading or selling to get another just like you all I'd imagine. I'm not as talented as you all so better gear cannot hurt.
07-10-2020, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
this guy is on my list

don't hate on the box its how I got it ;(
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS Max  Photo 
07-10-2020, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I really like my K-3 for its robust build and solid features, especially the weather sealing. It just feels so good in the hand and most controls are where they should be. I will quite probably pick up the K-new when it comes out, but pretty sure I'll keep the K-3 as a secondary or backup camera.
07-10-2020, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, the K3 is showing its age a bit now, but it's still a sturdy workhorse of a camera. I use it mostly with long lenses for wildlife these days, and it doesn't disappoint. Mine has had some pretty tough handling and is a bit scuffed around the edges, but still works perfectly. 24 MPx is the sweet spot for APS-C sensors, and Pentax tuned theirs very well in the K3. It's also nice to have the built-in flash, which disappeared with the K3ii.

---------- Post added 11-07-20 at 02:40 PM ----------

this guy is on my list

don't hate on the box its how I got it ;(
What is it? Tamron, but I don't recognise the lens.
07-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Well, the K3 is showing its age a bit now, but it's still a sturdy workhorse of a camera. I use it mostly with long lenses for wildlife these days, and it doesn't disappoint. Mine has had some pretty tough handling and is a bit scuffed around the edges, but still works perfectly. 24 MPx is the sweet spot for APS-C sensors, and Pentax tuned theirs very well in the K3. It's also nice to have the built-in flash, which disappeared with the K3ii.

---------- Post added 11-07-20 at 02:40 PM ----------

What is it? Tamron, but I don't recognise the lens.
Yup Adaptall 60B 300mm 2.8 it looks like it has seen some use, and probably his favorite, so it's the bigger one I'd like to try first. but it's about as big as I want to lug around.
07-11-2020, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the OP looks at this thread:

K3 sample shots ... post here ! - PentaxForums.com

you can see what posters have done with their K 3 and K 3 II and various lenses

the images have gathered a " few " " likes " in its time: 12896 Likes

QuoteQuote:
K3 sample shots ... post here ! No test shots ! No brick walls !
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-po...#ixzz6Rsqm235z

[ it is almost 750 pages dating from 2013 ]

. . . . I'm not as talented as you all so better gear cannot hurt.
in my limited experience, it's like this

knowledge of photography + experience + gear equals good results

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-11-2020 at 06:34 AM.