Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Mirror Up with External Wired Intervalometer?

How can I get a mirror-up delay with an external, wired intervalometer? Triggering the shutter through the wired remote port seems to ignore any of the delays I would normally choose when using the shutter button or an IR remote. I must be missing something obvious.

07-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The remote shutter release works identically to the shutter button. Set drive mode to the 2s delay and it should work fine. At least that is how I have used it with my wired intervalometer. (Be sure to take the 2s delay into account when calculating the interval timing.)

Steve
07-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Continuation...

If you want the mirror-lock-up function, you may be able to set the interval to 1/2 your desired with double the number of shots. Trip the mirror up on the first release and the shutter on the second.

Steve
07-27-2020, 09:08 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. I just tried it and it worked as you said in your first reply (I had no real doubt). I should have mentioned that when I couldn't seem to get it to work, I was using it in the dark for astrophotography (Astrotracer). I must have failed to switch the shooting mode to the 2-second delay, as I most often use an IR remote with Astrotracer and hence choose the IR remote 3-second delay. It's easy to make mistakes in the dark.

Luckily, I was using a very sturdy tripod and a 28mm lens, so I doubt lack of a mirror-up delay made any perceptible difference. But if I had been using a 300mm lens it might have been a different story. (My link on "300mm", not an auto-generated link.)

Last edited by Lew Dite; 07-27-2020 at 09:15 PM.
07-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nice pic of andromeda nebula; congrats
07-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lew Dite Quote
But if I had been using a 300mm lens it might have been a different story. (My link on "300mm", not an auto-generated link.
Nice Andromeda shot. Were you binning the pixels (3 by 3) in the composite? The Astrometry.net scale reported with your image is 8.750 arcsec/pixel . I have measured the scale of my K-3 and DA* 300 mm (also with Astrometry.net - here's a blurb I wrote about its use a while back: Easy Determinations of Camera Scale Factors (arcseconds per pixel) - PentaxForums.com ) and get a scale factor of 2.765 arcsec/pixel - about a third of your value.

By the way, while I do the full mirror up/2 second delay routine when astro-shooting, I think the concern here about blurring is a bit overblown. The time for the camera to settle is a fraction of a second, which is quite short compared to, say, a 20-second or more exposure. You won't see much of an effect on the image. Equally useful is to hold a black piece of paper in front of the lens as the exposure starts and then moving it out of the way as soon as the shutter opens.
07-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
The time for the camera to settle is a fraction of a second, which is quite short compared to, say, a 20-second or more exposure.
Yep...The blur contribution of that first bit is tiny.

Steve

07-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Nice Andromeda shot. Were you binning the pixels (3 by 3) in the composite? The Astrometry.net scale reported with your image is 8.750 arcsec/pixel . I have measured the scale of my K-3 and DA* 300 mm (also with Astrometry.net - here's a blurb I wrote about its use a while back: Easy Determinations of Camera Scale Factors (arcseconds per pixel) - PentaxForums.com ) and get a scale factor of 2.765 arcsec/pixel - about a third of your value.
The pixel scale is result of a 50% downsizing and then a crop. I downsized because I was using a 32-bit version of rnc-color-stretch to do stretching and it couldn't handle the full 24 MPixel frame. I didn't really need to downsize that far (to 6 MPixel) but that also made rnc-color-stretch run faster. I now use the 64-bit version of the program (actually, of Davinci, which rnc-color-stretch requires) and don't need to downsize. The additional crop was probably to get rid of edge artifacts from stacking but also for aesthetically pleasing framing.

QuoteQuote:
By the way, while I do the full mirror up/2 second delay routine when astro-shooting, I think the concern here about blurring is a bit overblown. The time for the camera to settle is a fraction of a second, which is quite short compared to, say, a 20-second or more exposure. You won't see much of an effect on the image. Equally useful is to hold a black piece of paper in front of the lens as the exposure starts and then moving it out of the way as soon as the shutter opens.
Like you, I am just being safe. I have actually triggered the shutter using my finger when using a 200mm lens and seen no effect in the image. But the mirror-up delay costs me only two extra seconds per shot, so why not? As for the black paper trick (ages ago they used to talk about using a black hat), shooting a hundred or more subs with Astrotracer is enough work already!

Shooting the moon through a 762mm telescope, on the other hand, definitely needs mirror-up delay. It could also really use an electronic first-curtain shutter but the K-3II doesn't have that and never will. (I think we saw what will be the camera's last firmware update some time ago.) However, I have been successful with Pixel Shift Resolution a few times.