Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2020, 03:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do I really need a KP?

Ideally I’d like to hear from current/past K-3 users. I have been thinking about buying a KP, I have several Pentax bodies but I use my K-3 and K-70 the most. My question is would I really benefit from buying a KP? I’m just interested in what other K-3 owners (who have gone on to the KP) think.
Thanks in advance.

09-15-2020, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I do not think so Do you miss something important?

As KP user I know that KP is a mixture of features of K-70 and K-3

- there are only a few features which are unique for KP (better IBIS, advanced multiexposure modes, third wheel, the rear display ... than K-3, better AF, IBIS, third wheel ... than K-70), but only for some people they are the must-have features.

What makes KP unique is the handling, ergonomics obtained mainly due to the third wheel.

I would rather "invest" in lenses.
09-15-2020, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Photos: Gallery
If you have a K-70 it's probably better to wait for a future model. There's actually some things that are better in the 70 like phase detect AF in live view.

I like the KP quite a lot but I don't think it's enough of an upgrade unless you're really attached to the styling. I think the 70 is more versatile as well due to the deeper grip... I find the KP awkward with larger lenses.

Also I think the IBIS has technically been improved over the years but I don't find it any more effective than my K50s IBIS and buying an m43 camera was a revelation in terms of "oh, this is what way better IBIS feels like". (not criticizing the KP, it's just the smaller sensor on m43 makes IBIS much more effective).
09-15-2020, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I think one of the biggest advantages of the KP is it is less prone to aperture block failure, but as you already have the K70, I'd wait until the aperture block fails before worrying about that. May never happen, may be a long way off.

09-15-2020, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

As a K3 owner myself, I've been considering that exact same question ever since the KP was launched. I like almost everything about the design
of the KP, but have been put off by the single card slot and different, (smaller), battery, and that has kept me from getting a KP as a K3 replacement.

I have my eyes squarely looking forward to the K-new, but if for some unexpected reason the K-new should prove to not be desirable then I'll
certainly be looking at the KP closely again. Current KP prices, especially the bundle with the 20-40, are very attractive.
09-15-2020, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As someone who owns the K-3 and K-3ii I have considered getting a KP only for the better high ISO dynamic range as that would provide a dramatic improvement for astro shooting I do. If I look at this site and select the K-3 and KP and using an ISO I typically shoot at of 3200 for astro shots I get 5.64 for the K-3 but with the KP you get 7.82 which if I understand the chart correctly provides over 2 stops more dynamic range. That would be a huge advantage for that type of shooting which really pushes the limits of gear. However with the K-new on the horizon and assuming the rumor mill is correct on what to expect there should be an even greater advantage. A back illuminated sensor with another generation of general improvements given greater efficiencies, and hopefully even deeper wells is what I am hoping for. So given that I am in the wait and see category to see what things actually look like. For my non nocturnal shooting I more ambivalent on switching since going from the K-3 to KP at ISO 100 using mostly manual focus off of a tripod there isn't going to be much noticeable difference. Especially since the pixel shift on the K-3ii was the big benefit there and I have that as well. Even the K-new will likely offer only marginally more than what I have in those situations but a faster and better AF for those times when I do need to grab the quick shot would be welcome. The rumored 24->26MP change isn't a big difference and not something to get excited about with the K-new.

Personally I think that Pentax should see about showing what pixel shift really can do and borrow a page from hasselblad and support super rest too but have it be as good as the pixel shift as their current pixel shift ability. A super-res pixel-shift mode that would produce something like a ~100MP image from 8 or so shots (4 shots with 1 pixel difference and 4 shots with .5 pixel difference) because I have been fascinated with computational photography and the control from an in body option like that would likely be an interesting option. However a ~100MP shot from an APS-C camera would in a lot of cases result in one hitting the diffraction limit on a lot of lenses but even with hitting the diffraction that would allow some huge prints.
09-15-2020, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I bought my KP for the extra a/f functionality ... that works, but decided to keep the K-70 for the fully articulated screen.
The extra three stops of sensitivity and the option to use the shutter fully electronically (totally silent) and at very high speeds (1/24000sec) on the KP are attractive extras, but do have their limitations.
For me, both cameras have their place ... having said that I still use my K-5 and my *ist DS/DL2 ... they all have their place in the scheme of things as well

09-15-2020, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think going by what has been said I’m still ok with my K-3 and K-70. A lot of my photography is live music (although that’s not happening at the moment), so the quiet shutter on the KP isn’t beneficial to me. The K-3 and K-70 performance in low light is impressive enough for me too, I’ve always been more than happy with the results I’ve had, and my K-3 with the battery grip (although heavy) leaves me with little worry about running out of power halfway through a performance. Also the build quality of the K-3 means I can get right in the middle of the crowd and not worry about the camera getting knocked about.
09-15-2020, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As a replacement for the K-3 or just for the kick of it?

Whether you need a KP depends on whether it addresses any "pain" points caused by the K-3 and whether it does so without introducing problems due to features not carried over from the K-3/K-3II.

For myself, the KP was always a non-starter due to K-3 stuff that was not carried over that I use regularly or find very handy at times.

Steve
09-15-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Richie53rd Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think going by what has been said I’m still ok with my K-3 and K-70. A lot of my photography is live music (although that’s not happening at the moment), so the quiet shutter on the KP isn’t beneficial to me. The K-3 and K-70 performance in low light is impressive enough for me too, I’ve always been more than happy with the results I’ve had, and my K-3 with the battery grip (although heavy) leaves me with little worry about running out of power halfway through a performance. Also the build quality of the K-3 means I can get right in the middle of the crowd and not worry about the camera getting knocked about.
I thought your feedback would be good here!
09-15-2020, 11:00 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm late to the party but here is my imput

I was lucky enough to win a KP in the recent forums' contests

I could not get use to it

it is currently in Omaha with my son and his wife

look at what it offers compared to what you have

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

you can get a battery grip which allows you to use the same battery as the K 3

depending on what you use your gear for it might be for you

it wasn't for me

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-15-2020 at 11:09 AM.
09-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As a replacement for the K-3 or just for the kick of it?

Whether you need a KP depends on whether it addresses any "pain" points caused by the K-3 and whether it does so without introducing problems due to features not carried over from the K-3/K-3II.

For myself, the KP was always a non-starter due to K-3 stuff that was not carried over that I use regularly or find very handy at times.

Steve
I think more than anything I was attracted to the customisable 3rd wheel, I would’ve used that for setting the ISO for one thing for the ease of the fully manual mode. I tend to use TAV mode more than anything else because of the ever changing lighting conditions in the sort of photography I do more than anything else.

---------- Post added 09-15-20 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I thought your feedback would be good here!
Yes thanks for your help.
09-15-2020, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #13

Photos: Albums
I have both the K3 and a KP. The K3 is larger has dual card and has remotes the Kp is smaller has WiFi but has one card storage. The Kp image is slightly better. If size is an issue the KP is the way to go I still use both of mine
09-15-2020, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

As someone has already said, the new APS-C may be a better choice, since you already have two cameras that do well.
09-15-2020, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plus point s for the KP. The image quality delivered by the KP is slightly superior to the K-3 up to iso 1600, then markedly better due to lower noise. Great for birding with the DA*300. I’ve also found the KP to deliver more consistent white balance. Autofocus accuracy is better with the KP too. The tilting screen can be a help for low and high angle work, and on a tripod using live view.

What don’t I like about my KP vs K-3 (and K-5iis for that matter). Ergonomics. The KP, even with the largest of its three grips, still leaves too little grip for my large (not huge) hands. I MUST have the batter grip to make the KP even remotely comfortable with larger lenses like the DA60-250. The position of the shutter button in the old school position on top the camera, not on the protruding grip, causes my carpal tunnel to flare-up ever time I use the KP. The smaller buffer has caused me to miss a few photos too. Shooting RAW+JPEG fills the buffer fast. Finally, the DLi-190 standard battery is just too wimpy. Without the accessory battery grip, you need at least two spares. I use my KP with the grip and the larger DLi-90, and battery life is no longer an issue. One more plus in the K-3 column (not the K-3ii though), the built in flash is more powerful. I use the built in flash for fill in many close wildlife shots and miss the higher guide number of the K-3 when using my KP.

Bottom line, I like both cameras but prefer the ergonomics and certain pro-level features of the K-3, though I would not trade my KP for a second K-3.