Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@jatrax and @stevebrot, today the unit arrived and I can say it is quite different from standard time remote controllers.

Here are my impressions about the SDMV Time Remote Controller T805 (Pentax compatible Version).

I'll compare it a little bit to my other cable remote controller Ayex TR-1 left side in the following image, the SDMV controller on the right side. The Ayex kind of controller is availlable from differend brands and could be called usual standard. To program it, you have to go through a simple menue and set each. Only one parameter is visible.

The SDMV controller shows a very different hardware and user interface:

• The housing of the unit is made of plastic and will fit very well into a breast pocket. The form factor is flat and compact and supports using a lightweight lanyard at the left or right upper corner.
• There's an on/off switch at the side (the Ayex doesn't have one).
• Every function has it's dedicated button to activate it.
• Every parameter has it's dedicated monitor area.
• Pressing a button activates the setting of the function.
• Plus and Minus Button counts up and down.
• Indicator LED state of pressing the trigger button - halfpress blue and full press red.
• The cable has a screwable 2.5mm plug at one side a camera dependent plug - of course I chose the one for Pentax DSLRs. You can order cables for different camera types if you need. There's no cable available for the Pentax KP so I simply use a standard not screwable 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter cable from another brand - the red one in the image. The SDMV timers cable is thicker than that of the Ayex timer and since in addition the Ayex cable is fixed to the housing, I think the SDMV version will be more durable.
• power: 2 AAA batteries

Functions

• set backlight for the green display
• switch on/off beep and reset all values with the same button
• lock the unit
• autofocus by halfpress (if the camera allows this)
• trigger one shot and fix the switch for bulb without setting a time
• set the number of frames you'd like to shoot in intervals
• program intervals: DELAY (delay time - time before starting the interval shooting), LONG - (duration of the bulb time), INTERVAL, interval time shortest 1 second up to 99:59:59 - hh:mm:ss)
• trigger the programmed interval

Pressing the buttons on the SDMV I like more than on the Ayex since it works a little bit smoother, seeing every parameter at first sight and the robustness of the cable and it's sturdy connection to the housing simply are great. The unit is very easy to use. Can't complain about anything.

The only interesting addition I'd imagine would be a shortest interval time of half a second or something like that for special time lapse cases. But that's really no standard.

I did interval shots without any problem. Here's my first shot triggered with the SMDV Time Remote Controller.

The SMDV costs significantly more than the Ayex standard timer but it's worth it IMO. I'd buy it again.

Last edited by acoufap; 10-19-2020 at 10:29 AM.
10-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the thorough review! Much appreciated. I think I will give this a try. Programing the one I have at night has been difficult, this looks like it would be much easier to see what the settings are.

Last edited by jatrax; 10-19-2020 at 12:31 PM.
10-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
@jatrax and @stevebrot, today the unit arrived and I can say it is quite different from standard time remote controllers.

Here are my impressions about the SDMV Time Remote Controller T805 (Pentax compatible Version).
Cool! Great review!

Can you add it to the accessory reviews here at PF?

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
10-20-2020, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thank you for the thorough review! Much appreciated. I think I will give this a try. Programing the one I have at night has been difficult, this looks like it would be much easier to see what the settings are.
I did it here - hope it helps others in their decision.

10-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool! Great review!

Can you add it to the accessory reviews here at PF?

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
@jatrax and @stevenbrot ... have been out with the SMDV Timer today and triggered the images for the follwing pano with it. The dedicated buttons really helped. I like it very much and recommend it. Love the screwing mechanism for the cable because of stability and unscrewed the device fits perfectly a inner pocket of my photo backpack.

K-1 on travel tripod with pano head • FF mode • 9 images 18mm vertical • triggered via SMDV Timer • stitched with PT GUI • crop 1:2.5