Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2020, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K-3 is acting weirdly in manual mode

Just been out shooting auroras with my K-3. It was constant struggle. It kept changing shutter speed and/or aperture constantly in Manual(M) mode. Sometimes (more often than not) I was not allowed to choose a certain apertures (like larger than F:4 ) and/or not allowed to choose shutter speeds longer than 20s (30s is max manual shutter speed). After I had shot an image the camera would have changed shutter speed and/or aperture for the next exposure. I thought the whole idea with manual mode is that you set the shutter speed/aperture combination you want and that's it until you change it.
Have to use Bulb mode and the watch.
Is there some sort of weird custom function (can't find it) that cause this behaviour or is the camera bonkers?

Shot this 1.5 hours ago (and plenty of others)....
Pentax K-3 + DA* 11-18/2.8, at 11mm F.2.8, 30s 800ISO

(The rather unfortunate red light at right corner is the landing light for the airport, It is behind a hill and not visible to me but it obviously light up the landscape surrounding it)

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 10-24-2020 at 02:01 PM.
10-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may want to do a reset if you can not discover the specific setting or someone else does not point it out to you. I was going to mention that you were possibly in an auto mode and did not know it, but it sounds like you are well aware that you are in Manual mode. You may want to try some of the auto modes and see if their functions are behaving normally just to know if they are affected.
10-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any chance the dial was actually not locked into a mode? But even if that was the case I would think it would go to an adjoining mode; which shouldn’t do that.
10-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, the camera behaves as if it was in some sort of program mode but the mode dial was set to M. Right now the camera will not let me set an aperture wider than F:3.5 in M mode in spite of the fact that it is it is a 2.8 lens.
The camera seems to work fine in other exposure modes as far as I can tell....

10-24-2020, 02:40 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Yes, the camera behaves as if it was in some sort of program mode but the mode dial was set to M. Right now the camera will not let me set an aperture wider than F:3.5 in M mode in spite of the fact that it is it is a 2.8 lens.
The camera seems to work fine in other exposure modes as far as I can tell....
Any chance you are set to bracket?

Steve
10-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have already tried these my apologies. I suggest you:

1) try a fresh battery and try using a different lens.

2) reset as suggested and clean the lens contacts.

3) update firmware if not already up to date.
10-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
That's a great question. That's bit me in the butt before.

10-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

+1 for a complete reset.

Take off the battery for at least 24 h. Recharge it 100% in the mean time. (PS: I tend to use genuine Pentax battery to get the best cahrge.)

I had once a weird pb with my K-3, and a complete reset was the solution.

Hope that you will solve your issue, The k-3 is a great camera body and it is rare to have much issues.
10-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It was like program mode so maybe the green button had something happening like a strap pressed across it?
10-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What was the temperature?
10-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You may want to make sure the lens is locked into position also. Or remove it and then put it on the camera again, fully mounted.
10-25-2020, 03:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Aaargh..that solved it

But there's no indication on the top panel that bracketing is engaged. The single frame shooting symbol is on. And isn't it supposed to take all images (5 in this case) when you press the shutter release in bracketing mode?
10-25-2020, 05:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aaargh..that solved it

But there's no indication on the top panel that bracketing is engaged. The single frame shooting symbol is on. And isn't it supposed to take all images (5 in this case) when you press the shutter release in bracketing mode?
The Bracketing Symbol should show up centered under the exposure meter, just to the left and above the battery indicator. The number of shots depends upon how you have configured bracketing. The single frame shooting symbol is in the smaller box in the bottom left of the top panel. Or at least mine is.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-25-2020 at 05:13 AM.
10-25-2020, 05:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

And isn't it supposed to take all images (5 in this case) when you press the shutter release in bracketing mode?
Not unless you have "One-Push Bracketing" set in the C2 menu.
10-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And isn't it supposed to take all images (5 in this case) when you press the shutter release in bracketing mode?

If you want your K-3 II to behave that way, you would indeed have to activate One-Push Bracketing in Item #9 of the C2 Menue. The default value is Off, i.e. one bracketing exposure per shutter actuation. While this seems intuitive enough to me, given that I usually want to decide when to expose the separate shots, I sure dig how easy one can be thrown off by this if you expect otherwise.

P.S. It seems I take too long to phrase my posts - Paul has beaten me to it.