Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #1

PentaX K-3, image stabilization with remote control - is it possible?

Hi,

Does anyone know if this is possible to re-enable image stabilization while using remote control (wireless or wired)?

I have a rifle-stock support for the camera and trying to find the way to place the trigger where actual trigger should be. One of the ideas was to put the remote control button there.
The problem is that K-3 automatically turns off image stabilization when remote control is enabled.

If you have any ideas, let me know, please.
Thank you,

Yuri.

10-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would think the shake reduction would be counter productive if mounted to the stock, not having the natural give like human hands. Isn't the purpose of the stock to hold it steady as a tripod does? That is the reason SR is disabled with remote or delayed shutter release.
10-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the camera is held tightly by a stiff surface small vibrations can be detected by SR, which tries to correct, and the corrections are felt by SR leading to larger corrections. What is called a feedback loop. This is not always a problem but can be.
10-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The K1 allows it (menu item C21), but I don't believe the K3 does.

10-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would think the shake reduction would be counter productive if mounted to the stock, not having the natural give like human hands. Isn't the purpose of the stock to hold it steady as a tripod does? That is the reason SR is disabled with remote or delayed shutter release.
I wish me holding the camera even on a rifle stock would be as steady as a tripod :-). Even with a rifle stock it is still hand-held.
10-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Pe. Quote
Does anyone know if this is possible to re-enable image stabilization while using remote control (wireless or wired)?
With a wired remote, the camera acts as if the shutter button had been pressed (does not require use of the remote control drive mode) and image stabilization may be left on as with regular shooting. That may be your best option. Simple wired remotes are very inexpensive.

Steve
10-25-2020, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With a wired remote, the camera acts as if the shutter button had been pressed (does not require use of the remote control drive mode) and image stabilization may be left on as with regular shooting. That may be your best option. Simple wired remotes are very inexpensive.

Steve
I tried it and you are absolutely correct - the stabilization stays on. Thank you.

11-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
That's a neat trick!