Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #1

K-3 II won't stay on

Hi All, new to the forum and needless to say I have a problem. I own a K-3 II that was knock off a coffee table by a friend and now the camera doesn't work correctly. When I turn it on it only stays on for a few seconds, then shuts down. I bough it used a few years ago and it's worked perfectly until now. I'm back to using my old dependable k-10D that I bought new many years ago, but I'd like to get back to the convenience of being able to make video's. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

12-31-2020, 01:12 AM   #2

Sounds like a battery issue, try another battery that you know is good or replace it.
12-31-2020, 01:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you fully charged the battery?
12-31-2020, 02:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same problem with my K-3 1 with the grip attached. Because that grip has been submerged in a lake a electrical problem has developed. The camera behaves the same way as yours with the grip regardless which battery is used. If you use a grip you could try turning it on without the grip. Another battery is also a good idea. If the problem persists you could try cleaning the contacts but a repair might be needed.

12-31-2020, 05:23 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

should you decide that repairing your camers is the way to go here are some options

[ follow the link below to find active links ]

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

Phototronic here in Topeka has done good work for me
12-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If charging the battery to full doesn’t help, try leaving the battery out a few days and reinserting it. Maybe the cameras state is just mixed up.
01-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
The camera and its batteries were working properly until it was dropped. I've checked the batteries, made sure they were charged and tested with a voltmeter and they are good. Remove grip and tried each battery in camera individually, problem still persisted. My thinking is the shock of the fall might have jar something internally, guess it's heading to a repair shop. Thanks all for the your feedback.

01-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just a quick thought, try cycling the o/off switch a few times, I've had similar problems with other cameras which doing this fixed.