Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2021, 11:29 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Thank you JPT.

I still think the CAPA cover deserves to also figure on this thread

After all, we need more pentaxian women !

02-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-5 has a distinctly "soft" sound. I like it but I guess it has a slightly sloppy feel.

The buffer seems surprisingly small. The videos show just a few seconds, then a short wait before another few seconds. Perhaps it's a non issue in use? It's not a feature I use so I wouldn't know. Buffer should be cheap as well?
02-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #33
Pentaxian

This is very exciting. I'm really looking forward to seeing it's final official release to the general public.
02-20-2021, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Great summary JPT; thanks for taking the time to put together your post. The more I learn about this camera, the more I think it is unfortunate that Ricoh decided to call it a K-3 III. This camera is not a further refinement of the K-3 series. It has a new sensor with more megapixels. It has a joystick. Size-wise it may be similar, but IMHO it deserved a new model designation. To my mind Ricoh would have been better served marketing an entirely new model instead of a perceived re-tread of an old model. My two cents. Maybe they thought the K-3's reputation would help sell these?
Their naming protocol is no different from the way car companies name their car models. How long has Honda used the Accord or Civic model name, they have a heritage. All new 2021 Honda Accord is what buyers hear rather than Ho Hum another Accord. Same for the K-3 MkIII name it has a heritage.

02-20-2021, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is completely motor driven and controlled all the way up and down. Sure others are too, but this one should be most accurate. There was video from meetings. It is audible, and louder than K-7. But not sure how much. I had K-7 and did 60K clicks with it. It was nice.
I don't think we can judge its loudness from a video; unless it's of a standardized measurement.
02-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #36
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you very much JPT, thank you! I have a question about the price, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Oh. And I forgot to mention that the magazines once again mentioned that the price would be "around 200,000 yen". That is below what the K-1 II sells for, even three years after release.
You wrote "once again". This is the first time I heard about this "around 200,000 yen", did they report that before? This is much lower than what Ricoh CEO said last year (20万円台後半, i.e. larger or equal to 250,000 to smaller than 300,000 yen). If true, that's great!
02-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So whether you buy it or not will hinge on the shutter sound??? That's a new one.
I was merely inquiring about an aspect of the new camera, not indicating a commitment to buy/not-buy.

02-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Having the K7 (and K5 and K3) I admit that the shutter "sound" on the K7 is "that" nice!
Perhaps you were the one who originally informed me about how nice the K-7 shutter is
02-20-2021, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It should sound sharper, IIRC somewhere in the presentation materials they mentioned the mirror/shutter mechanism is faster than the K-3's.
Sharper but not louder. A nice combination; I remember years ago when I've first heard a 1-series Canon. First thought, "that's impressive!". The second: "but it's loud, and I don't really need that speed - I'd rather have my quiet Pentax".
Some Canons sound like cannons

I don't often get particularly hyped over new gear, but I feel a bit besotted with the K-3 III... I think the improved image quality and larger, brighter OVF are pressing the right buttons.
02-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think we can judge its loudness from a video; unless it's of a standardized measurement.
Yes, I know.
02-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for this post! Very cool!

The final comments on the camera are that although Pentax decided to call it “K-3 Mark III”, this is a camera one rank up from what has come before.
My assessment too, even without having handled the camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-20-2021 at 04:20 PM.
02-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More and more, it seems the wait has not been in vain. Good stuff.
02-20-2021, 08:59 PM - 4 Likes   #43
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The final comments on the camera are that although Pentax decided to call it “K-3 Mark III”, this is a camera one rank up from what has come before.

So what I took away from this is that the camera is ready and just held up in production. The “character” of the camera is going to be very similar to the K-7/K-5/K-3 cameras, just better in every way. And the happiest thing is that it seems even existing lenses (vintage and current) will benefit from all the improvements. The photos were taken with the DA*50-135, the DA*55, the DA 18-135 and the DA 20-40, current but not even the latest ones.
JPT, thank you for taking the time to provide us all information regarding this review. I have found it really useful.

The willingness of members like yourself to assist other members with information is one of many reasons I enjoy being part of this community here at Pentax Forums.

Ross
02-21-2021, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #44
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Thank you very much JPT, thank you! I have a question about the price, though.

You wrote "once again". This is the first time I heard about this "around 200,000 yen", did they report that before? This is much lower than what Ricoh CEO said last year (20万円台後半, i.e. larger or equal to 250,000 to smaller than 300,000 yen). If true, that's great!
I saw this price first mentioned in the February issue of Nippon Camera and I mentioned it on this forum somewhere. I have it in front of me now and the exact wording is this:
価格=未定(20万台になる予定)

I double checked and 半後 is definitely not printed.

This month's Capa does not mention the price, but I looked at the article in the March issue of Nippon Camera and Digital Camera Magazine by the Impress publishing group, and they both have the 200,000 yen price mentioned.
02-21-2021, 03:59 AM   #45
Pentaxian

For some silly reasons, buying the magazine (in electronic form) is not allowed to foreigners.