Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Books on Photography

A while ago, I created the "A Photographer's library" thread.

A similar one was the " Reviews of Photography Books, DVD's & Websites" thread.

Maybe we could post further recommendations here?

The latest photography book I bought was Steve McCurry's "Untold: The Stories Behind the Photographs" which I can fully recommend for the images and the associated stories.

10-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #2

Has anyone gone through "From OZ to Kansas" by Vincent Versace"? Covers conversions of color to black and white. I've got it on order.
03-08-2014, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gregory Heisler: 50 Portraits

Name:  51q5sQEbL5L.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  42.7 KB

Just what you might expect from the title, this handsome coffee-table book shows and discusses 50 examples of Heisler's portrait work. Actually it is more like 100+ portraits; the typical segment includes one or more secondary images from the same session. The descriptions are in two parts, a general discussion of concept, planning, and the shoot itself, followed a more technical section. These latter discussions are titled "Thoughts on Technique", an apt title because these tend to be technique-related morsels rather than complete lighting recipes. There are no lighting diagrams and very few "behind the scenes" shots. And often the division is just for form, each section containing a similar mix of technique and narrative. The book is not a how-to, but more of a big picture look at how Heisler thinks and works. Just as well, given Heisler's usual preference for large-format film cameras; not many readers will have similar equipment. This is a book for ideas, inspiration, and a quick apprenticeship with a sought-after professional photographer.

Each of the 50 main portraits is reproduced full page or even as a two-page spread. This is a big book (12"/30cm tall) so the photos are large enough to be appreciated in detail. (Even so, because Heisler often shoots 11x14, some of the images are not enlargements, but reductions!) The book would be a good value just for the photos, but the text is just as valuable, because the writing is well above the standard for books of this sort. Heisler's writing style is clear, direct, informal, and unpretentious, and a pleasure to read.

Heisler is a commercial photographer and, he does not compartmentalize between commissioned and personal work -- to him it's one and the same. Because his work tends to be portraits of famous people for mainstream magazines the style is usually straightforward, and many of the portraits are simply solid commercial work rather than memorable photographic art. It is notable that, in a book containing portraits of world leaders, A-list actors, and famous athletes, the portraits chosen for the front and back covers are of people you won't have heard of; with such subjects Heisler's style is often freer. But some of his more commercial work is pretty off-the-wall, too, and some of these sessions make for entertaining storytelling -- Heisler is a risk-taker when he can afford to be. He is a meticulous planner but knows how to improvise, and is aware of the importance of lucky accidents and inspiration.

The book ends with a list of all of the main portraits, including a thumbnail and technical summary, for quick reference.

Highly recommended, especially so given the low price for a book of this quality.

Gregory Heisler: 50 Portraits: Stories and Techniques from a Photographer's Photographer: Gregory Heisler, Michael R. Bloomberg: 9780823085651: Amazon.com: Books

Heisler also speaks well, and much of the book is presented in his Ilford lecture, well worth watching:

Last edited by baro-nite; 03-08-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added cover photo
03-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Vicki Goldberg's
PHOTOGRAPHY IN PRINT.

From Amazon:

"This useful collection includes over a century of the very best writing on photography. Vicki Goldberg has brought together more than 75 essays and excerpts that cover a vast and provocative range of topics. We have the first-hand accounts of photographers, from Fox Talbot to Alfred Stieglitz to Ansel Adams, and the thoughts of leading critics and philosophers, from Baudelaire to George Bernard Shaw to Susan Sontag. Some of the pieces illuminate important aspects of photographic history; others give unique insights in particular photographers; and some are just for fun. Together, they offer a lively approach to the history, art, and philosophy of photography."

04-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I missed those threads, but I'll check them out. "Understanding Exposure" was a very impactful book to me and I've given it as a gift to a few people.

I've wanted to stumble upon an equivalent composition book. I've gotten several from the library and have learned something from all of them, but haven't found the one book that had the same impact on me. Maybe it's too broad of subject. Exposure is much more straight forward I suppose.

Unless one of you knows differently.
04-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I've wanted to stumble upon an equivalent composition book.
I don't know "Understanding Exposure" so I cannot say whether any particular book on composition is the analogon to it.

However, "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman is pretty much a quintessential book on composition and other formal photography topics.

I don't know of any other book that is that systematic.
04-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't know "Understanding Exposure" so I cannot say whether any particular book on composition is the analogon to it.

However, "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman is pretty much a quintessential book on composition and other formal photography topics.

I don't know of any other book that is that systematic.

I'll check it out, thanks!

04-05-2014, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Unless one of you knows differently.
My "book" on composition was many visits to the The Art Institute of Chicago and asking myself why some pictures seemed to work while others not.
You live in a big city with something equivalent and now there's the internet so you have the whole world to go to.
Think about it.
04-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some books I've found really helpful in the past year:

The New Art of Photographing Nature (Art Wolfe, Martha Hill) - A photographer (Wolfe) and editor (Hill) team up to discuss images (often a series that shows how Wolfe worked a particular scene). You can see good, better, and spectacular shots of the same scene and learn more about how Wolfe approached the scene and what an editor thinks of the images.

People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs (Chris Orwig) - An excellent book if you find that assignments/projects are motivating. Orwig has some really interesting suggestions for activities to shake up and inspire your work.

The Color of Light (Arthur Meyerson) - I took an excellent workshop with Arthur last fall. His book is just images, not commentary, but they're beautiful.
Arthur Meyerson Photography - The Color of Light

The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great (Steve Simon) - I think this is a good book for a beginning or novice photographer. It's light on specific techniques but sets out a process for developing both your vision and your skill as a photographer.
04-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Picture Practice Perfect by Roberto Valenzuela.

Great book, I found it very practical. Also, Roberto is a wonderful personality!

He also just released Picture Perfect Posing. Haven't seen it yet, but it should be really good if Jerry Ghionis recommends it!
04-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I would also recommend a look at "BEHIND PHOTOGRAPHS: ARCHIVING PHOTOGRAPHIC LEGENDS" by Tim Mantoani ISBN978-0-9826137-9-5

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ua...64542518,d.ZGU

It began as the personal quest of photographer Tim Mantoani, who spent over five years shooting portraits of 150 photographers, each holding their most iconic or favourite image. The project was shot using a series of rare and mammoth 20x24 Polaroid view cameras and includes such photographers as Elliott Erwitt, Mary Ellen Mark, Steve McCurry, Neil Leifer, William Wegman and Nick Ut.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-12-2014 at 01:09 PM.