04-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Technique Gives Your Camera Nine Times the Battery Life

Clever Hack Gives Your DSLR Nine Times the Battery Life
I think it will work with Q and GR too

05-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
I just turn off the display and go shooting all day long. Easily getting up to 2,000 shots on my K-5ii per charge.
05-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by comprock Quote
I just turn off the display and go shooting all day long. Easily getting up to 2,000 shots on my K-5ii per charge.
can you shoot video so long?
05-06-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd hardly call that a 'hack', it's just plugging in an external battery.

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Yes!
On the K-01, a single battery is good for Four Hours of video shooting in my personal experience.
I only need my second battery occasionally.

For video I've found a Canon battery & camera combo is good for about 45minutes on the 550D, 7D and 5D, but the Li90 is good for hours of recording.

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with being able to use manual lenses, or at least not having the Iris drawing power all the time like the EF mount does.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-10-2014 at 05:57 AM.
05-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
I don't know as I don't shoot video.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2014 at 11:12 ----------

On the focus bit, you should know I do back button focusing as well with plenty of manual in between. So there could be power savings there as well.
05-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I dig the idea, though I'd mount the larger battery to the tripod. However, with my K-7 one battery could go about three hours for video. With my K-3, I recorded one day for 16 hours and only used two batteries -- including the one that came with my K-7 however many years ago.

Where that works well is if someone wants to Jerry-rig an HD camera for long-duration interval videos or as a security cam or the like.
05-19-2014, 05:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, not really a hack, nor does it "increase your "battery life"" (ie: makes your existing stock battery last longer). All it really is is a way of getting more shooting time without having to change batteries... by connecting a larger battery in the first place. Imagine what you could do with a 12 volt car battery stepped down to supply the correct voltage. You could shoot for years!