Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it normal thing?

Next month we are going to spend weekend on the beach, 3 days, 2 nights. I've been there before, but never with DSLR-s.
I just calculated what I want to take with me: 2 cameras and 6 (!) lenses, and no less. For three days.
Tell me please is it normal? I'm not sure

05-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Who knows whats normal?! Doesnt matter.. But, is it functional? Will you have time to use all that equipment? Or is it you dont know what you are most likely to use? Two bodys is appealing to avoid changing lenses but the weight and size... At the beach?...
05-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Next month we are going to spend weekend on the beach, 3 days, 2 nights. I've been there before, but never with DSLR-s.
I just calculated what I want to take with me: 2 cameras and 6 (!) lenses, and no less. For three days.
Are you a photographer or tourist? It depends on the lenses.
05-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not a tourist exactly, nor a well skilled photographer. The small hotel is right on the beach, literally near water.
The view from the porch is awesome. The private beach is almost empty all the time.
I will carry the bag from the car and out for a few feet really. There are no plans to go anywhere, just to the restaurants nearby. The rest of the time is beach and only beach.
So, I will have plenty of time to play with all the lenses. No need to change them near water, it's a few steps to water from the room.
I really want to cover as much as possible with different lenses, makes sense?

05-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area. General Talk, per the rules posted there, is for Non Photographic topics only.
05-22-2014, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't seem like a huge, unreasonable kit (unless all six lenses are monsters). However, if I were doing this mini-vacation with my spouse, I'd limit my photography time, and take one camera body and several select lenses. I'd be going out before sunrise while spouse is still sleeping to capitalize on my 'own time.'

- Craig
05-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same problem if I'm traveling to a place that I know I'll be heavily 'based' in one spot. If it's a trip that involves being on the go from place to place I only bring 1 SLR with 1 or 2 choice lens and a small compact cam.

05-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd avoid changing lenses at the beach. I'd go with one body and a superzoom. But that's just me.
05-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Normally when I go on holidays (so, once every few years) I just bring one camera, one lens.

Usually either my Pentax ME with either a 50mm or a 28mm, or my SP1000 with the 135mm.

I'd love a 40mm pancake though, that on the ME would be the perfect holiday walkaround combo.
05-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'd be going out before sunrise while spouse is still sleeping to capitalize on my 'own time.
Because it's west coast, sunrise is not impressive there, but sunsets are spectacular. That's one of the reasons why I want to cover it as much as possible.

---------- Post added 05-23-14 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Personally, I'd avoid changing lenses at the beach. I'd go with one body and a superzoom. But that's just me.
No changing lenses at the beach for sure, but the room is pretty much on the beach itself, so changing is not the issue. The biggest zoom I have is 200mm only.
Of course, for the cruise or to the airport I limit the bag to one body and two lenses only. From the last trip I discovered that 40mm pancake will be enough, I don't use kit lens often while wandering around. This trip will be different however- mostly at the same spot, just to relax and enjoy the view.
05-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Checking out old pictures of the same location helped to put all thought together, and opt out at least two lenses.
Editing p&s camera pictures made me highly appreciative about DSLR. So many pictures are ruined because it's impossible to fix them. And, OMG, I thought that all those pictures were great! I lost my p&s camera on auto "everything is so nice" virginity!
05-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #12

Where are you going?

Sunrise on the west coast can be very beautiful. The still water, mangroves... soft light... I can't wait to go back (grew up in Ft. Myers and Tampa Bay, went to college in Tampa).
05-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

2 bodies six lenses for three days seems perfectly reasonable to me. Travel is the best time for photography. Here's the kit I brought for 8 days in Puerto Vallarta:
K-3, K20D

DA 15mm Limited
FA 35mm
D FA 100mm macro
DA*300mm

DA 10-17 fisheye
DA 18-135mm
DA 55-300mm

HD 1.4x rear converter
49mm CPL

K-3 charger & cord
K-3 battery
K20D battery
Card reader, 8GB &16GB SDHC
Puffer
Wireless remote
Lens cloth
Notebook

Pentax sling bag
Small messenger bag
Carry Speed sling
05-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Earlier this month I went on a four day self-supported hike. Pack weight: around 45 lbs, NOT including camera gear.

Camera gear: 8 pounds (Tripod, 2 cameras, 4 lenses, batteries and filters, etc.).

I was scoffed at by the "real" hikers. I don't care.

Bring what you need to take the pictures you want. Those pictures will last forever.
05-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
Where are you going? Sunrise on the west coast can be very beautiful. The still water, mangroves... soft light... I can't wait to go back (grew up in Ft. Myers and Tampa Bay, went to college in Tampa).
Estero Island. You know it's hard not go crazy with all photo gear. The sky is absolutely amazing there!

---------- Post added 05-27-14 at 10:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
2 bodies six lenses for three days seems perfectly reasonable to me. Travel is the best time for photography. Here's the kit I brought for 8 days in Puerto Vallarta:
Your list is impressive.
I don't have fish eye, either wide angle, so I need to take canon kit lens 18-55 mm since is the only "wide angle" I have for now.
I would leave 40mm canon pancake home, but it's only macro for kenko rings I have. There are plenty little things near water to magnify. So, two my canon lens must go into bag.

As for pentax, I want macro as well. I have pentax F 35-70mm macro, very sharp lens.
Need long zoom, but I have only pentax 80-200mm, so must go as well.
If my new pentax 100mm f4 macro arrives in time, I leave vivitar 135mm F3.5 at home hoping that 100mm macro will replace vivitar for portraits.
And I'm taking my helios 44-4 because water can produce nice bokeh, and that lens can produce crazy bokeh.

Oh, still 6 lenses!

---------- Post added 05-27-14 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Earlier this month I went on a four day self-supported hike. Pack weight: around 45 lbs, NOT including camera gear.

Camera gear: 8 pounds (Tripod, 2 cameras, 4 lenses, batteries and filters, etc.).

I was scoffed at by the "real" hikers. I don't care.

Bring what you need to take the pictures you want. Those pictures will last forever.
45 lbs for hike sound totally crazy! Nice workout however.
And it's all for taking a few good pictures... Dealing with p&s was much easy.