Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
How to get started in photojournalism?

Hey guys,

My friend and I have been discussing getting involved in photojournalism. We live in a town of about 75,000; Fayetteville, Arkansas. I'm 16 and he's 17, we're both experienced in photography and perfectly capable of taking good shots and all, but the question is, how do you get involved? How does one get photos published, and what about press passes and all those other things? I barely know anything about how the world of photojournalism works, perhaps someone could enlighten me? Thanks.

05-28-2014, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Volunteer to shoot some local events. Use them to build a portfolio of your 20 best shots. Bring that portfolio to your local newspaper editors and pitch yourself. That would be my recommendation, assuming you already know your camera gear inside and out, and can cope with Murphy's law under ever-changing, stressful situations. Also, doing lots of street photography will help you develop your eye and your instincts.
05-28-2014, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And be prepared, you might have to write the story for that photo you took. As a journalist, myself, I've had to do that with every photo I had published, especially, in small town newspapers.
05-29-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_sam Quote
we're both experienced in photography and perfectly capable of taking good shots and all
Courses are available for journalism/photography, to hone further your skills and possibly add some formal accreditation to your CV.

Some sound advice there from OregonJim, I would like to add network, network, network, do it like crazy. to get your name out there, but in a good way. Be a professional in every thing you do, people will remember the bad as well as the good.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_sam Quote
what about press passes and all those other things?
They all come as tools when working for an accredited employer.

Good luck in your path in this profession, it's not one of the easiest, so rise to the challenge and again good luck.

06-10-2014, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photojournalism is not photography its journalism with photography.

Find a story with human interest in your local area and ask if they would mind you interviewing them.

Meet and chat about their experience. Try to understand what they have been through from the human perspective.

Readers are people they want to read about people. Look for an angle that is a human angle and see if a story revolves around that.

Then interview them gathering as much information about this human story and its impact on them.

Take photographs that explain the story in a sequence.

Finally write the story in a journalistic style emphasising the human element.

If you can do that you can maybe make a career of it.

If you cant but it hasn't put you off, learn some more you have what it takes.

If you have been put off that's cool too.
06-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might as well ask how to get started in a career in typesetting.