Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #16

Addict to Flickr !

06-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
How about neither? Both are blatant attempts to cheapen photography and to acquire large corporately control image collections.
So where do you think I should brag about my creations?
06-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Elger Quote
So where do you think I should brag about my creations?
Right here on PF...
06-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Right here on PF...
I'm not a fan of Google/spy +
Tom G

06-13-2014, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #20

One thing to remember is that the head of Google+ was recently fired by Google, the kind of move Google takes before they discontinue products, and Google+ has been de-emphasized in Google's corporate communications. Google+ is likely to go the way of Google Buzz. Flickr, on the other hand, is an important product for Yahoo and they aren't going to discontinue it anytime soon, especially not after having spent a fairly hefty chunk of time and money revamping its user interface over the past year or so (I hate the revamp, but that and $2 will get you a cup of coffee at Starducks). In other words, you just can't rely on Google. Google Reader joins graveyard of dead Google products
06-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I will keep avoiding G+ as long as I can.
I do use Flickr, but do not consider it and similar sites as any real way to promote my photography business; these are just social sharing sites among photographers and should be treated with similar expectations. If somebody wants to enhance their web presence, they should not rely on G+, flickr, facebook, 500px, etc, etc

On a separate note, I find I cannot use flickr on my iPad without logging in via a yahoo user name. Is that what it has come to? Still using my normal email address and or facebook credentials to log in from my PC with no problems.
06-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I will keep avoiding G+ as long as I can.
I do use Flickr, but do not consider it and similar sites as any real way to promote my photography business; these are just social sharing sites among photographers and should be treated with similar expectations. If somebody wants to enhance their web presence, they should not rely on G+, flickr, facebook, 500px, etc, etc

On a separate note, I find I cannot use flickr on my iPad without logging in via a yahoo user name. Is that what it has come to? Still using my normal email address and or facebook credentials to log in from my PC with no problems.
Well I don't like G+ from the begening but as I visited it just few days ago and saw how they have changed it, I must say it got even worse.

Idk, they threating with yahoo accounts log in only for a long time but mine works perfectly fine sill.

*off topic: You do photography for a living? Cool! Can you check my work on flickr (link in the signature) and give me some feedback? Thank you.

06-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Yea they are removing Google/Facebook login for flickr. It will be completely removed after June 30th. Yahoo trying to re-establish its brand name I guess.

Last edited by ruggiex; 06-13-2014 at 11:17 AM.
06-13-2014, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Yea they are removing Google/Facebook login for flickr. It will be completely removed after June 30th. Yahoo trying to re-establish its brand name I guess.
*fun fact: as I am from czech republic, at the begening of the internet we had here our own search engine called seznam.cz, which sill has a majority on czech market (which is unique cause google pretty conquered over other serch engines) and somehow they've partnered up with yahoo. So as I kept my, over a decade old email adress on seznam, it works as log in for flickr as well.
06-13-2014, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As noted above, both sites are primarily "social photography" sites. Both sites seem to place an inherent value on popularity over quality of photography and associated feedback. Flickr still seems to have more cred than G+. When I was active on G+ two years ago, it seemed that most of the participants were Google employees and a few "Internet" photographers whose primary skill was self-promotion.

I do know several photographers who have sold images via their presence on Flickr. Agents and art buyers looking for an image of a particular subject will search Flickr. That's not to say that Flickr is a requirement for selling images, but it is an avenue for visibility. I prefer the control and peace and quiet that Smugmug offers. And, speaking from experience, if you configure Smugmug right, an agent will find your work there.

QuoteOriginally posted by John Elger Quote
You do photography for a living? Cool! Can you check my work on flickr (link in the signature) and give me some feedback? Thank you.
My favorite image of your stream is the one of your grandmother and grandaunt. It had the most soul and seemed like the most original.

M
06-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
As noted above, both sites are primarily "social photography" sites. Both sites seem to place an inherent value on popularity over quality of photography and associated feedback. Flickr still seems to have more cred than G+. When I was active on G+ two years ago, it seemed that most of the participants were Google employees and a few "Internet" photographers whose primary skill was self-promotion.

I do know several photographers who have sold images via their presence on Flickr. Agents and art buyers looking for an image of a particular subject will search Flickr. That's not to say that Flickr is a requirement for selling images, but it is an avenue for visibility. I prefer the control and peace and quiet that Smugmug offers. And, speaking from experience, if you configure Smugmug right, an agent will find your work there.

My favorite image of your stream is the one of your grandmother and grandaunt. It had the most soul and seemed like the most original.

M
Thank you for feedback it's one of my favourites and definetly most heartwarming.

---------- Post added 06-13-14 at 10:42 PM ----------

Did you guys see the new design on flickr while you open some photo? They must have updated it like a few hours ago. I'm seeing it for the 1st time just now.
06-17-2014, 02:16 AM   #27

I use flickr to upload funny pictures or for market place.. I don't like the structure. I use Facebook, because everybody has it.
06-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by badtux Quote
One thing to remember is that the head of Google+ was recently fired by Google, the kind of move Google takes before they discontinue products, and Google+ has been de-emphasized in Google's corporate communications. Google+ is likely to go the way of Google Buzz. Flickr, on the other hand, is an important product for Yahoo and they aren't going to discontinue it anytime soon, especially not after having spent a fairly hefty chunk of time and money revamping its user interface over the past year or so (I hate the revamp, but that and $2 will get you a cup of coffee at Starducks). In other words, you just can't rely on Google. Google Reader joins graveyard of dead Google products
Vic Gundotra was not fired. Your post is rife with speculation.
06-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by zode1 Quote
Vic Gundotra was not fired. Your post is rife with speculation.
"Left to pursue other opportunities". Better?

Yes, speculation. But Google has done this so many times... have you used Google Buzz lately? What about Google Reader? Google is not a reliable entity. That's a proven fact. Meanwhile, Yahoo has put a lot of money into Flickr lately. They seem to view it as important to their business. Hmm.
06-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by badtux Quote
"Left to pursue other opportunities". Better?

Yes, speculation. But Google has done this so many times... have you used Google Buzz lately? What about Google Reader? Google is not a reliable entity. That's a proven fact. Meanwhile, Yahoo has put a lot of money into Flickr lately. They seem to view it as important to their business. Hmm.
Category:Discontinued Yahoo! services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Category:Discontinued Google services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny, because Google+ just added more new photo enhancements today. But hey, be a doomsayer. Whatever.