Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Flickr vs. google +

Hi guys,

just saw post of one group on Flickr (self help photographer) that they move to Google +, is that a trend or just step aside? Cause I don't like G+ that much, I don't like G+ at all. What do you think and what do you use more Flickr or G+?

Thank you and have a nice day.

06-06-2014, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't like google+ as well. I find Flick perfect for what I need. Not sure why would someone move to Google+ from Flick
06-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It is a trend. I'm seeing lots of pros and serious amateurs move to Google+. There are countless photography groups there now. Many claim that It's a smart business move, marketing-wise.
06-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's to do with being found by google, they have denied it but it stands to reason that a g+ account will be looked at from a website seo point of view. Just like regular updates to your website/ blog updates to your g+ page will show you are active and in the target keyword search group

06-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
NKK
Inactive Account

Im not on g+ either, Flickr is great for Photos in my opinion.
06-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm on Flickr and I seem to get hits from all over. I assume people are doing image searches on Google and the search engine is finding my metadata tags I load. No complaints here, I suppose!
06-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I find G+ is way better for community interactions. Either is okay for photo dump I suppose but I never post none photography photos on Flickr. Some automated photo features on G+ like auto enhance and auto awesome are pretty cool for social image posts and cell phone photos.

06-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone liked G+. I wouldnt be surprised if its part of a whole thing, like G+ with youtube comments.
06-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Arguably, G+'s early success was driven by photographers and a lot of features were there for photographers and their social interactions. Many photographers around the world were hosting photowalk every week and there were world wide celebration of G+ photowalk every year. The momentum has died down a bit since the early days but it was truly something to see hundreds of people going on a photowalk.
06-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't think anyone liked G+. I wouldnt be surprised if its part of a whole thing, like G+ with youtube comments.
Part of it is integration into other Google apps (Gmail, Analytics, Adwords, Calendars, etc.), and also the fact that Yahoo is no longer allowing people to use Flickr with just a Google or Facebook sign in... they are requiring a Yahoo account. Some type of boneheaded "ecosystem" move, I guess!
06-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm on Flickr and I seem to get hits from all over. I assume people are doing image searches on Google and the search engine is finding my metadata tags I load. No complaints here, I suppose!
It's very fun to see searches for 'Hairy Beaver' turn up my pictures of a Hairy Woodpecker at Beaver Lake Nature Center
06-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I have managed to remain on picasaweb without being forced to g+. I presume it's just a matter of time until I am forced to choose nd I will likely go back to flickr, which has been pretty dormant since I put picasa on my system.
06-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've recently been trying to like google+ now that there is so much more photography related activity over there, but I still don't and still only use it for 'private' sharing... I have always been fairly rebellious towards the likes of google and facebook and their efforts to lure me deeper and deeper into their clutches etc. Flickr has always been a nice fit for me.
06-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I find g+ confusing and complicated so I hope that not that many people will transfer...

What about Digital Rev comunity page? Do you know it and do you use it?
06-11-2014, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

How about neither? Both are blatant attempts to cheapen photography and to acquire large corporately controlled image collections.

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-11-2014 at 09:37 AM.