Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Compact backup camera?

So I am wondering, what is a good photographer's compact backup camera? Something you can take with yourself when you don't want to lug around a bunch of lenses, but can still take quality photos.
The criteria are simple: It has to be cheaper and smaller than a brand new Pentax K-50 kit, and it must be able to shoot/record raw. The other priority is quality. Can be a fixed lens or interchangeable lens camera.

What do you guys think? Is it the Pentax Q? A Ricoh camera? One of the small Sony cameras with surprisingly large sensor? A Sigma maybe? One of the Canikons? Or even a Panasonic or Samsung! There are so many options, I don't know where to start

06-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Forum Member

I would recommend the Panasonic Lumix LX7. It has a small sensor but an excellent zoom lens (wider than any of the Ricoh or Sigma point-and-shoots at more than a 24mm equivalent) and plenty of manual controls. And it really will fit in your (coat) pocket! You can buy a used one for a couple of hundred bucks. Or you could buy an old micro 4/3 camera - a Lumix GF1 or later - and put a nice Olympus 9-18mm (18-36mm equivalent) on it. It's little larger than the LX7 - hard to fit in that coat pocket - and with the lens might rival the K-50 cost. (The danger with the latter rig is that you might fall in love with it and start leaving the K-50 at home!)
06-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Sony RX-100 v1. It's is very compact, and quite good. Shoots RAW. Has some cool features (panorama mode, very good video mode etc). Plus it has the same dxomark score (66) as the Canon 7D If you can get a v1 RX100 like mine, I've seen them available quite cheap new, now that the v2 and v3 RX100's are released.

I would also find the Ricoh GR tempting. Prices seem to be coming down.

Or a recent Sony NEX - eg the NEX 5000, NEX 5 series, NEX 3 series. The kit 16-50 is very compact, and of course there are abundant cheap NEX>PK adapters for Pentax lenses. NEX's are fun cameras and some - eg the 16MP NEX's - have sensor performance that will be very familiar to K-5 users.
06-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been that road ... looking for a "compact" camera.
(Mt thread is somewhere in this forum ...)

It had to have a VF (either EVF or OVF) and fit in a coat pocket or a very small carry bag.
It had to have great IQ.
At the time I didn't mind either a fixed lens camera or one that had interchangeable lens(es)
I did not want a P&S ...

I ended up with a Fuji X-E2 back in March 2014 and never regretted it.

But, it might not be as "compact" as you'd wish; for me though, it has been compact enough.

JP

Edit: with an adapter (loads of them out there) you can use your Pentax glass too !

06-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, those Sony E-mount cameras seem attractive, but every time I see full size sample photos from those cameras they seem to have way too much digital NR and sharpening
The Fuji X-E2 is a bit over the budget
06-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Ricoh GR. For sheer flexibility, image quality and price it's got to be up there. Only downside, I'll concede, is lack of an OPV - for someone who needs reading glasses like me, it can be a pain. That said there are solutions.

I would seriously recommend a close look at this camera as part of your journey.
06-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah, those Sony E-mount cameras seem attractive, but every time I see full size sample photos from those cameras they seem to have way too much digital NR and sharpening
The Fuji X-E2 is a bit over the budget
If the JPEGs from the NEX don't work for you, then shoot raw. Anyhow, if you want the flexibility of a zoom, I second rawr in recommending the Sony RX100 (1st gen). Still a very capable and flexible compact with a relatively large sensor. The Canon G1X is also an option, but the prices never seem to go very low.

06-15-2014, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K-01 body wouldn't take up much space in your bag and could use all your lenses.

Chris
06-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-3 is my compact camera. I take it when I don't want to carry the Contax 645 or burn film.
06-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I would either get the Ricoh GR as frankoz suggested, or one of the Sigma DP cameras. When I wanted a compact backup camera, I wound up settling for the Sigma DP2M (the 30mm version). For landscapes and cityscapes, at least in the daylight, it cannot be beaten for sheer detail and sharpness. You also have a choice of 18mm in the DP1M, or 50mm in the DP3M. However, you need Sigma's own software to process the raw files from these cameras, and the jpegs aren't ever worth using.

The GR would be more versatile, especially in low light, and the files would be easier to process. It's a little smaller, too, and it uses the same sensor you're used to in your K-01.
06-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

So I am wondering, what is a good photographer's compact backup camera? Something you can take with yourself when you don't want to lug around a bunch of lenses, but can still take quality photos.
The criteria are simple: It has to be cheaper and smaller than a brand new Pentax K-50 kit, and it must be able to shoot/record raw. The other priority is quality. Can be a fixed lens or interchangeable lens camera.

What do you guys think? Is it the Pentax Q? A Ricoh camera? One of the small Sony cameras with surprisingly large sensor? A Sigma maybe? One of the Canikons? Or even a Panasonic or Samsung! There are so many options, I don't know where to start
I`m in the same ballpark here...
Looking for a wide angle backup/second body smaller than a DSLR for casual shooting and landscapes while being out with the tele`s.

So far I`ve been eyeballing the sony A5000 (which is really small and cheap but ugly, lol) and the olympus OMD EM10 (a sexy looking camera but bigger and double $$$). I really can`t decide, both have their pro`s and cons. I think the OMD fits the bill better for having a VF and dual wheels but I`m not sure about the micro 4/3 sensor...maybe a sony Nex-6 as best of both worlds?

Sorry if I`m hijacking your thread, please tell me and I`ll start a new one

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 06-15-2014 at 10:56 AM.
06-15-2014, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The K-3 is my compact camera. I take it when I don't want to carry the Contax 645 or burn film.
Haha indeed! But I already have a K-01, which is pretty compact so i am looking for really compact, but I might just get the 40mm XS back on the K-01.

Yeah, the Ricoh GR and Sony a5000 seem pretty good. Compact, big sensor, reasonably priced

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Sorry if I`m hijacking your thread, please tell me and I`ll start a new one
Naah, this is exactly why I made this thread, to spark a conversation about this segment of cameras. Im thankful for seeing different considerations
06-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Pentax MX-1 is my choice! Lovely images, great handling, low price!
06-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, the Ricoh GR and Sony a5000 seem pretty good. Compact, big sensor, reasonably priced
I suppose the Nikon A could be an option as well.
06-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It really depends what you want. A Q and a bagful of lenses won't weight the same as any DSLR and the kit lens.