Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Katzeye help needed.

Hey guys hope all is well.
Just need some help here with my focusing screen.
Basically i went ahead and ordered katzeye with optibright and rule of thirds grid.got it in the mail.fits perfect BUT the prism is off to the left within the brackets on the screen. The centre focus point lights up off to the right within the prism when focus is achieved which drives me up the wall to be honest. The other issue is that the prism never alligns perfectly when the focus confirmation blinks green, however the photos come out in perfect focus if the shot is taken as is from what i can tell.
So what gives?
Do i return it? Cause to me a $200+ product should be as close to perfect as it can be.
Any help and advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.

06-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It sounds like you mave not have gotten the screen seated properly, or you have a shim on one side and not the other.
06-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No shims needed really as the screen sits perfectly in the metal bracket holding it-theres virtually zero play whatsoever.
06-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
No shims needed really as the screen sits perfectly in the metal bracket holding it-theres virtually zero play whatsoever.
But were there shims under the original screen? They are used for fine adjust of focus, not for fit, and there are usually one or two on there to begin with...

06-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should email Rachael at Katzeye and see what she says. She's extremely helpful and has seen it all.
06-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have emailed her and shes just told me to disregard the issue as it is purely cosmetic
06-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more question here about the screen.

While I was performing test shots with the split prism I have noticed that the prism doesn't align perfectly in af mode but the shot still came out in perfect focus. I was able to achieve the perfect prism alignment by dialing +10 af adjustment in the body. But that would through all my shots completely out of focus. I don't understand what gives.

The intent of me getting this kind of screen was the shooting in low light with my mf lenses which makes it hard with this particular screen as the prism doesn't align properly.

I would appreciate any help with that as well.

Thank you.

---------- Post added 06-17-14 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
But were there shims under the original screen? They are used for fine adjust of focus, not for fit, and there are usually one or two on there to begin with...
there are none. just the frame holding the screen

06-17-2014, 01:03 AM   #8

faq_prob - KatzEye Optics
QuoteQuote:
My Focusing Screen Does Not Give Correct Resuts

This is likely due to either a calibration problem with the camera’s viewfinder or an incorrect installation. KatzEye™ Optics has never had a calibration issue that traced back to the manufacture of our screens - we individually check, measure, and record the data from each one; so we simply do not ship them if they are not correct. However, we have run into several cases of cameras that were not calibrated correctly at the factory. Since the autofocus and viewfinder calibrations are completely separate, it is entirely possible (and not that uncommon) to find a camera where the AF is accurate and the MF is slightly wrong. This happens with all camera manufacturers to one degree or another - when a manufacturer makes a million units of a product, a few are bound to be out of specification.

When problems of this nature are encountered, it is important to first confirm that the installation of the screen was completed correctly. In most cameras, there are one or more rectangular spacers (called ’shims’) which fit above the focusing screen and serve to establish the correct calibration of the viewfinder. Sometimes one can stick to the old screen or fall out when you remove it, but it is important that all of the shims stay in the camera and that the shim(s) are properly placed above the focusing screen (inserted before the screen) to maintain the factory calibration. If one of the shims were missing or placed incorrectly, that will cause a calibration problem. It is also important that the screen is seated flat in the recess and that the retainer is properly latched.

If the installation has been confirmed to be correct and the problem remains, then it is likely that you have a camera with a miscalibrated viewfinder. Please contact us for technical assistance. In many cases we may be able to help you install a different shim or perform other operations to correct the problem in the field, or we can help you make arrangements to send the camera to us for calibration by our trained technicians.
06-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ive asked a few people to look through my viewfinder without telling them what to look for.both immidiately said the prism is misaligned to the left.rachel is nice enough to look into the issue and i will be sending it back soon.