Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A simple question:

Has anyone else, besides Pentax, implemented the TAv mode?

06-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No, not directly. Some companies aloow ISO to be set to auto in M mode (illogical but there you are) so you can achieve the same kind of results.

No other company has hyper-program (P mode with access to Tv and Av just by scrolling the wheels). I might be wrong but I think that no other companies have program lines such as MTF.
06-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TAv was a big reason I picked Pentax - it seemed the most convenient and flexible way to control your exposure. I use it 90% of the time.
I have shown it to people using other brands, and they were a little jealous.

Why no one else seems to want to do this? I don't know, maybe they know their customers won't use it?
06-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Having used auto ISO and manual mode to get the exact same functionality in another brand, I'd say having a devoted mode on a dial for it is no big deal. And it makes sense to me. You are in manual aperture/shutter mode but ISO is an option of either auto or manual.

06-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd say having a devoted mode on a dial for it is no big deal.
Perhaps you would if, as in my case, TAv is my default mode.
06-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Perhaps you would if, as in my case, TAv is my default mode.
I'm in the equivalent of TAv mode a lot too. Really, it is no big deal to have a devoted mark on a dial. It is fanboy talk to think so otherwise, IMHO.
06-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it is no big deal
I'll decide for myself what is and is not a "big deal".

06-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I'll decide for myself what is and is not a "big deal".
So I take you have used the "other system"?
06-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
it seemed the most convenient and flexible way to control your exposure.
Yes - I find it a very natural, intuitive and flexible mode.
On my k5 there are 11 positions on the mode dial and I use only two - TAv for normal shooting and Av for when I'm using the long glass on birds.
06-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget besides Tav, Sv mode is AFAIK Pentax unique as well. I find that Tav mode is very very useful for me when shooting flash.
06-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was recently introduced to the TAV mode and I find I now use it a lot especially on close up work. I feel that aperture is my most critical variable, shutter speed is usually around 1/250th for hand held is quite fast enough to manage camera or subject movements. I am quite happy to allow the ISO to go high as noise, if a problem, can be treated in PP to a fairly high degree, the other factors such as depth of field and subject blur can not.
06-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it comes down to ergonomics. When I switch between modes it's because I like what these modes do. I also like the user modes on the dial - I've set up the camera for some common uses (for me). While I know I can use M or P to do a lot of what TAv does, just having the TAv means I can quickly set the camera for a dynamic situation and control the exposure with those two variables.

To me, it shows Pentax has thought ahead about how cameras are used. It's the same reason the K5 and other flagships are so easy for manual lens use, the designers know we're going to do this so they made things more convenient.

No, I haven't tried to replicate TAv on other brands. I have handed my camera to users of other brands and told them how to quickly change the settings with the two wheels, and almost universally I get a "that's pretty cool" in response.
06-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I
No, I haven't tried to replicate TAv on other brands. I have handed my camera to users of other brands and told them how to quickly change the settings with the two wheels, and almost universally I get a "that's pretty cool" in response.
I can switch between being in auto ISO + aperture priority and the equivalent of TAv mode by turning a dial from "A" to "M". So I say again it is no big deal. And if we want to compile a list of this camera has that feature and the others don't I can certainly add several good ones Pentax does not have.

Advanced amateur digital cameras from all brands these days produce about the same images ( most have Sony senors) and have the same features with minor idiosyncrasies between brands and all get the job done. It is only when you crank up the power on your viewing microscope and get all emotional do you see much difference.
06-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having used auto ISO and manual mode to get the exact same functionality in another brand, I'd say having a devoted mode on a dial for it is no big deal.
What was the brand and did they have exposure compensation in manual mode? I'm probably wrong and outdated, but I don't think Canon and Olympus allow exposure compensation in M mode, but Nikon does (it may also be camera dependent). That would kick an attempted pseudo-TAv implementation's usefulness down a couple notches.
06-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Sv mode is AFAIK Pentax unique as well.
Haven't paid much attention to Sv mode. I guess I'm a bit suspicious how well two variables can be set at once.
Have to give it a try sometime and see how it works.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I am quite happy to allow the ISO to go high as noise, if a problem, can be treated in PP
Yea that's pretty much my approach. Let the ISO go high if need be and if not recoverable in PP nothing ventured nothing gained.