Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How do you carry your gear on hikes?

Hi,

I have started to do longer hikes with my equipment: tripod, filters, K-5ii, 10-20, 17-50 and sometimes 100mm lens. So far I haven't found a way to have the equipment easily accessible while not getting in the way. Shoulder bags quickly become uncomfortable, backpacks are inconvenient if you have to take your stuff in and out all the time, having the camera around the neck is dangerous in steep terrain where you may fall. I would also like to have quick access to filters.

I have looked at vests, but I am not sure if they are really comfortable on hikes.

How do you pack your kit? Do you have any suggestions for keeping the camera safe while still having everything easily accessible?

Last edited by maxxxx; 06-21-2014 at 03:44 PM.
06-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a holster for the camera attached to the backpack´s hipbelt and pouches for the lenses attached to the backpack arm straps- For holsters I like Tamrac, and Lowepro lens cases are really nice and the attechment is really good and stays in place.
06-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha ha, am I ready for this or what?

06-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

i may have one of everything: photo vest, various bags(sling/shoulder, etc), a belt system, camera fanny pack.
I am a fan of sling bags for times when i need very fast access to lenses for changing and cannot set anything down on the ground, it provides a mobile table surface which is convenient. I do wear the vest alot and found many of the K-mount lenses fit perfectly in the pockets i have. fully loaded, i can carry 8 or 9 lenses in my vest and have both hands free to climb or lug a tripod.

06-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a leather backpack that I've had for years. If my back isn't bugging me and I'm up to a long hike that's what I use. My basic walking outfit is pretty much an all leather version of the Indiana Jones outfit actually. Leather version of Indy's hat, a leather backpack and a short leather jacket, good hiking boots, all in distressed brown. If it's looking like rain I may replace the leather jacket with an all weather jacket in tan but that's about it. Actually that's pretty much my standard outfit whenever it's cool enough to walk around a lot even in the city. My one roommate used to jokingly hum the Raider's theme on me when I used to go out but that's always been my thing, distressed cowhide. It's easy to weather proof. My stuff stays dry and so do I.
06-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
maxxxx, I went through quite a bit of trial and error before finally figuring out a comfortable and accessible combination. A backpack with a hip belt really helps distribute the weight off your shoulders. If you are going on long hikes, the weight of gear, food, and water adds up. Keep my camera attached to the hip belt with a Peak Design Capture Clip:
https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro

While it doesn't offer protection for the camera, I like it because I can have my camera ready very quickly. The quick release plate also fits on my tripod. When I need to protect the camera, scrambling up rocks, for example, I simply just pack it away in the backpack.

On the other side of the hip belt I've got a couple lens cases so I can effectively swap out three different lenses fairly quickly. I like that part because near the end of hikes when I'm pretty tired, the last thing I want to do is unbuckle everything, take the pack off, and rummage around for a different lens.

As for the tripod, usually just keep it propped up on my shoulder, but can also strap it to the backpack if I need my hands free. A lightweight tripod pays off.
06-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #7

I use a cheap Amazon Basics photo backpack, it's light, well padded and fairly rugged for what it is. I usually have my K-01 with either the 40mm XS or my Ricoh 28mm f/3.5 in my hand while I'm walking. In my bag is a film camera and whatever lens isn't mounted. There's room left over for other hiking essentials and a packable jacket as well as a camelback. I don't use a tripod on day hikes anymore, during daytime shutter speeds are high enough to render it useless. The backpack does have straps on the side for carrying one though.

My advice is to only carry the gear you really need. I can't remember how many times I packed a bag full of gear for miles only to use one or two lenses.

06-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

First put on a backpack to carry snacks and water.

Attach my lens bag with belt loops for my Q on my left hip.

iPhone case on my right hip.

K-30 sling bag over my right shoulder and onto my left hip behind the Q.

Film camera bag over my left shoulder and onto my right hip behind my iPhone.

Yes, that's how I carry 4 cameras!!
06-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote

I want to see a picture :-)
06-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote

Why do you take the Q with you if you have the K-30 on you as well?
06-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

have u had a look at any of the lowepro flipside backpacks? i bought one recently for hikes and its quite convenient.it just flips around to the front where you can access your gear easily.
06-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Backpacks for me, Maxxxx. My hikes are often longer than 15km and to carry everything needed, pockets and simple slings aren't the go.

I bought a Bigma at the weekend and experimented carrying it in a Lowenpro 15L backpack with a monopod to a football game and it's very doable. A bunch of little wider primes were easy enough to stuff in ... gotta love Pentax! :-)
06-23-2014, 03:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

There are four sizes of Lowepro Fastpack (I have the Fastpack 350) backpacks that should work for you. After you remove your arm from the right shoulder strap, you can swing it to your left and it has side access like a sling bag.

Lowepro Backpacks Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
06-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll wear a back pack, maybe when they come up with something that has an airflow type harness. My problem with packs is the huge spot of sweat they leave on your back. If someone comes up with a camera pack with a Gregory Crossflo type harness I might consider it. I use the pack to transport the A-400 and Tripod on longer hikes, but it the belt harness is still the way to go if you want to be ready to shoot.

Search

Last edited by normhead; 06-23-2014 at 09:12 AM.
06-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #15

Wow, I didn't realize that Kata bags was gone... I have a torso pack from them- it can be worn on the back, or on the chest. For longer hikes, I wear a regular backpack, and wear the torso bag on my chest. Besides not being able to see my toes, it is pretty comfortable, and balances the backpack nicely. Something like this, (look at the last picture) but they seem to be discontinued. Mine is larger than this one though- easily fits camera with lens attached, plus 3 other lens, plus a big pocket in the back, and one in the front that can hold a flash.

edit- looks like I have a T-214 or 216, from the pictures.