Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
If you think color runs are nuts. Try Burning Man for a week. K-5 with 18-55 WR kit. No problem.
Your pic is bad. You might have lens fungus or bad processing settings. Try to increase the contrast. (That's sarcasm. I realize you were showing the air quality)

Last edited by DeadJohn; 06-22-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typo
06-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
5D or k-7, a disposable plastic bag and a rubber band would have kept 95% of the powder out. why risk it when it is so easy to prevent?
That would be way to easy ... no, no, we'll have none of that now!
06-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
That would be way to easy ... no, no, we'll have none of that now!
hahaha! Thinking it over, I do agree we sometimes care too much for our equipment forgetting itīs just a tool / means to an end and not a treasure... But then I really like buying used gear that looks like new in the marketplace!!
06-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
hahaha! Thinking it over, I do agree we sometimes care too much for our equipment forgetting itīs just a tool / means to an end and not a treasure... But then I really like buying used gear that looks like new in the marketplace!!
Yes, I like to buy my gear that way too, and I take care of it. But there's no way (for example) my FA*85 hood looks quite as perfect as when I got it (that hood is notorious for marking up easily). But why should it? It's my favorite tool in my lens kit, and I use it as such.

My best lenses don't just sit there. If I'm taking photos that week they're going to get used. But for a Color Run? If I had something like a WG-3 or 4 I'd probably use it; otherwise I'd need a used DA18-135 or something - probably the absolute best lens I'd ever risk in such a situation. Still, what's the point of having the equipment if you're not going to risk it a little?

06-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Your are a braver man than me.
Haha! For sure! That was just the tip of the iceberg.
This is the fourth color run with my K-7.

First was in Munich, Germany.
Two other runs at my university.
Now the Color Me Rad.

I learned the hard way that the 18-55 non WR lens does not fare well in a uni color run, but it is very easy to clean it though.

Before that, I've shot in the rain twice:
Model session just to see what would happen. 55mm DA* was awesome for this.
Second time was walking around Venice Italy in the rain for most of the day. The front element of the 50-200mm WR lens fogged, but didn't go farther in. Dried out by the time I returned to Austria.

I sat in the splash section at Sea World (see where this is going?)
Got completely drenched from said Shamu splashes, took some really good photos of the whales, and got some really weird looks as I washed the camera off in the sink.

I've hiked behind a fairly sizable waterfall and everything got soaked, but the photos turned out awesome!

I think I've got my money's worth out if it.

06-23-2014, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
and got some really weird looks as I washed the camera off in the sink.
This is the most fun part, isn't it? Others being concerned while you nonchalantly go about your business!
06-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perfect timing for you, the forum just released blogs on how to clean your lens and how to clean your sensor.