Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
here's a thread some place
Thanks Nuff.. Found the feedback section of the site here and shared my displeasure and suggestions. (I am not alone)...

06-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I installed Random Agent Spoofer in firefox, and when I click on it, Firefox tells the world that it's version 21 of firefox, then I get the old Flickr experience. Highly recommended.
06-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Thanks Nuff.. Found the feedback section of the site here and shared my displeasure and suggestions. (I am not alone)...
Well, for me I hope they change me over to the new look, I can't stand the current one with side bar. I find it very annoying.
Also I want white background back.
06-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, just saw the new layout today. Guess I was on the bottom of the list of who to update.

I like that you don't have to find and click a button to show the summary exif, so I'm ok with the scroll.

You want to talk about crappy layout, try Photobucket. I only stick with it because the imbedding to here works semi well.

06-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sorry just had to vent my frustration with flickr and the design changes they made today. Why can't they leave the frakn layout alone? The last big change they made before the one today was for the worse, but it was still tolerable and I grew to like it. I don't know if I can tolerate the changes they made today, although I probably will... It's fine if all you want to do is view the picture and fave it, (except that the pictures are forced to a default smaller size on my 16:9 screen) but anything else is a lot more of a chore. Grrrr. Oh well.
I'm with you.... I hated the sidebar at first, but the pics are so much larger.... and grew liking it..... then now they switch back!

The reason why I like the side bar is that I can view the exif info to learn a thing or two about a photo quickly.
06-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe Flickr is one of those "commit code 10 times a day" shops. Makes for rapid development but not for a stable feature base.

You can't keep all your users happy all of the time, but you can keep most of them confused most of the time.

06-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I believe Flickr is one of those "commit code 10 times a day" shops. Makes for rapid development but not for a stable feature base.

You can't keep all your users happy all of the time, but you can keep most of them confused most of the time.

Only recently. For years there wasn't any development at all.

06-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #23

My vote is for 'better' on this iteration.

I like that the photo takes up almost the entire view available, and then you scroll down to find all the information together in one place. That's how my brain works, anyway.
06-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My hunch is that this last layout change was about smaller default image sizes trying to improve image loads. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but image load times have been very slow lately... Still slow despite this change, but I don't know what % of users have been switched yet...
06-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #25

My hunch is that this last layout change was about smaller default image sizes trying to improve image loads. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but image load times have been very slow lately... Still slow despite this change, but I don't know what % of users have been switched yet...

I really noticed that last night. That's the first time I've had an issue event though I've been seeing this version for a few weeks.
06-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will put in my thumbs-up on this change. "L" for lightbox works great. "B" to return to context also works great. Not having to click all over to see summary information is excellent.

Steve
06-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't know when they implemented the latest but I'm still not getting any updates on my flickr, since the last one in May last year. And I have a pro account.
06-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I think it's an improvement. They have just about completely ruined it. This brings it back from extinction for me at least a little.

The recent update of the mobile client made things worse though
06-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I think it's an improvement. They have just about completely ruined it. This brings it back from extinction for me at least a little.

The recent update of the mobile client made things worse though
One thing is for sure, as our small sampling here reveals, they are never going to make everybody happy... I happen to like the recent update to the mobile client hahaha (android)...
06-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Overall I like the previous version better. Used all the screen real estate available. Now there is about 1/3rd of the screen with nothing useful or relevant, just grey. Have to scroll down to see any detail now, where previously they were beside the image, even if you had to scroll the side bar down to see that. Seems like it is just like Facebook and just uses the middle 2/3rds of the screen. People with 4:3 monitors probably don't have a problem, but how many of them are still in use, especially by photographically minded people?

I do like the map is back. And being able to see all info together is useful. Although I still prefer the previous compromise.

edit: panoramic pictures use most of the screen.

2nd edit: If they moved the info (tags, exif and uploaders title and description) to the side and left the comments on the bottom I'd be happy.