Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
flickr flockn flakr fluckr! :-|

Sorry just had to vent my frustration with flickr and the design changes they made today. Why can't they leave the frakn layout alone? The last big change they made before the one today was for the worse, but it was still tolerable and I grew to like it. I don't know if I can tolerate the changes they made today, although I probably will... It's fine if all you want to do is view the picture and fave it, (except that the pictures are forced to a default smaller size on my 16:9 screen) but anything else is a lot more of a chore. Grrrr. Oh well.

06-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What did they do now? Looks same as last week to me?
06-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
They took away the sidebar and centered the images and put everything under the image, sticking up from the bottom, effectively squeezing the image from top and bottom and forcing you to scroll down for all the info. I wonder if they didn't like how the default larger image size was eating up more viewing bandwidth... If not, they really should try giving people some options. I had things tweaked like crazy to my likings using Stylish and Greasemonkey before, but now it seems like coder types have given up...
06-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually don't mind the changes that much - you can enlarge the pic by clicking the pair of diagonal arrows at top right. But they do love to tinker with the settings on a regular basis, it seems....

06-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

like they can't find themselves or something. slightly irritating as i just got used to the last one. I don't think i'll mind this one so much though.
06-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just liked the large images by default and not having to scroll down much to read the info and comments... who knows though maybe i will end up liking it.
06-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #7

This is closer to their old format. Which wasn't broke, so why fix it? But (shrug). You know how geeks are. If it's not broke, fix it. My guess is that there were a significant number of people annoyed that all that info was crammed into the sidebar and hard to access, so now they put it down at the bottom where you have to scroll down to get to it but at least it's not all squished and hard to access. Oh well. This, too, shall pass.

06-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I hated the last change, you had to click to see the tags, or info etc...
I didn't like the white thin text on grey background either. From what I have seen, the new update looks much better and there's less clicking around
06-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just realized my solution for tolerating this change. The keyboard shortcut L takes the image to full window without having to click the diagonal arrows. I've always used the F and C shortcuts for faving and commenting and they still work fine. The main thing that was annoying me was the smaller default image size, so I will just be using L a lot... Which again should be a setting option they offer, to always default to the L size.
06-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I just realized my solution for tolerating this change. The keyboard shortcut L takes the image to full window without having to click the diagonal arrows. I've always used the F and C shortcuts for faving and commenting and they still work fine. The main thing that was annoying me was the smaller default image size, so I will just be using L a lot... Which again should be a setting option they offer, to always default to the L size.
now that is funny. recently i went through and removed the "press L for lightbox view..." from all of my narratives...
and we're back to Press L...
the more things change, the more they stay the same, lol.
06-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You made me log in to look. I like the new layout -- I hated the stuff on the right hand side that made all the pictures smaller.

But look... two more messages asking to use multiple images for free in a commercial for-profit publication.
06-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I (and every other member except 2, apparently) had a similar issue with Photobucket awhile back, and I moved. Gave me a chance to reorganize albums, which was needed.

It's kind of a fun read...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...otobucket.html

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-24-2014 at 03:08 PM.
06-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I actually like this look the best so far... once I found out where the "View All Sizes" was, that took me a while... all that stuff on the side was just way too crammed. I find this much more elegant.
06-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There's a thread some place in the groups where you can make comments and suggestions. So you can tell them that they should default to L size photos by default or at least make it an option in settings some place.

There's a discussion on flickr here about the new changes, I still have the old look and I can't wait for it to be changed.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/central/discuss/72157644752775768/
06-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

There were a few annoying navigation bugs in the last version that appear to be corrected now, so that is a good thing. (EX, hovering over the YOU tab would not allow drop down selections to be clicked, and adding a line space while editing text would exit you from the edit without adding a line)

One tiny improvement, they have fixed the little schematic of the 645D which used to default to a Polaroid One-Step, though i kinda liked the one-step...made me feel like my grandma.