Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
In mid-to-late-July I'll be publishing a Pentax forums blog on using manual focus lenses (specifically targeting legacy glass on Pentax DSLRs.) I mostly shoot manual focus lenses, so I don't necessarily know what people do and don't know about using MF vs. AF. Please use this thread to ASK questions about MF lenses. I'll address some in the blog. The ones I don't address in the text will be included in a special Q&A section at the end of the blog. Every question you ask in this thread will be answered in the blog post or Q&A.

So, please tell me what you'd like to know about using MF lenses on DSLRs. What are you unsure of or worried about with MF lenses? What MF techniques would you like to know how to do? What problems have you had with MF lenses that you'd like to know how to overcome?
Can you link to the blog post that you did on this topic? I'm having trouble finding it, but I'd love to learn more about manual lenses.

03-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lkruger Quote
Can you link to the blog post that you did on this topic?
It hasn't gone live yet. This will be a two-part article -- one that outlines the types of lenses and how to use them and one that discusses technique. I have to get photos for various techniques still and have been too swamped at work this year to get away for long enough to do it.
03-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use all manual focus, trying to get in motion shots was the toughest part, but with some practice it gets easier. You never get a perfect shot every time, forget that. One out of every half dozen I figure I'm doing pretty good. I've been trying to get shots of woodducks flying a lot recently, and that's about my average. I use the panning method, shoot when I think I see clear focus.

A good way to practice is find a dragonfly patrolling a large puddle, try to get some shots of that. They fly back and forth over a fairly small area, and if it leaves at first stick around, it'll be back. Cats are tough, you never know what a cat will do next. Birds aren't too bad, but you have to be able to get ready quick, you have about 5 seconds total usually. Practice at first on large birds like Vultures, Herons and Hawks, they glide a lot and generally move slower than Ducks or Cardinals. Ducks are crazy fast...once you get the hang of it, try a bat sometime...I'm still trying...

First thing you need to do in your blog is describe how to set up a Pentax to let it use the Aperture ring...If people don't know that they'll think you are clueless, no matter how good the blog is...

You know what the first question will be...

Also how to use auto metering. In the list you posted earlier point out the distinction between the A series manual lenses and full auto focus. I've seen people who thought the A meant fully auto.
03-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
First thing you need to do in your blog is describe how to set up a Pentax to let it use the Aperture ring...If people don't know that they'll think you are clueless, no matter how good the blog is...
Yes, exactly. The article opens with links on how to do that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Also how to use auto metering. In the list you posted earlier point out the distinction between the A series manual lenses and full auto focus. I've seen people who thought the A meant fully auto.
Yes, also. The first article in the series (which is already written and just waiting for me to make some progress on the second) discusses each of the different lens mounts, how to use them, and situations in which a lens of that mount is a good option. In terms of mounts, it's all inclusive (back to M37.) In terms of uses, that will probably garner some comments.