Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Manual Focus Lenses Q&A

In mid-to-late-July I'll be publishing a Pentax forums blog on using manual focus lenses (specifically targeting legacy glass on Pentax DSLRs.) I mostly shoot manual focus lenses, so I don't necessarily know what people do and don't know about using MF vs. AF. Please use this thread to ASK questions about MF lenses. I'll address some in the blog. The ones I don't address in the text will be included in a special Q&A section at the end of the blog. Every question you ask in this thread will be answered in the blog post or Q&A.

So, please tell me what you'd like to know about using MF lenses on DSLRs. What are you unsure of or worried about with MF lenses? What MF techniques would you like to know how to do? What problems have you had with MF lenses that you'd like to know how to overcome?

06-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dangit. I meant to post this in General Talk not General Photography. Can an admin change the posting forum for me, please?
06-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Dangit. I meant to post this in General Talk not General Photography. Can an admin change the posting forum for me, please?
General Photography is the correct forum, or maybe the lens forum.
06-24-2014, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Suggestions on blog

It might be a good idea to begin with a careful review of the various types/capabilities of manual lenses. I am thinking along these lines:

1. K-mount versus screw mount
2. Auto lenses (M-type) versus non-Auto lens
3. A-type lenses which in fact allow use of all modes, and where about the only difference in the lens and a fully modern auto-focus lens lies in the area of focussing.

Attention could be given to various focussing aids with non-autofocus lenses:
1. Catch in focus
2. The green focus indicator inside the viewfinder
3. Focus with live view
4. Focussing screens such as the split prism ones like Katz-eye

Tips on how to focus more quickly, important for action shots.

I suspect you have already considered all of this. Anyway, I will look forward to your work on these lenses, and sure I can learn new tricks!

06-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My biggest challenge when I first started using a MF lens was proper focus with a manual f1.4 lens. I ended up even getting into stuff like the 'plane' of the DoF, which once I had a better idea about all that a whole new world opened up. It would be interesting to see a deeper discussion on that aspect of things.
06-24-2014, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
1. Catch in focus
Yes, please!
06-25-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm interested in MF technique, especially for action shots. I like the IQ of my Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 but I can't get anything when the subject is moving

Try shooting cats with manual focus, it's a pain

06-25-2014, 03:46 AM   #8

Great thread!
Why with manual lens i can't use the wireless flash mode?
06-25-2014, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Hm. How about the focusing scales on the lens, and the markings how the DoF will be depending on the aperture. Maybe some people don't understand how to use that. Also, why on earth do modern lenses not have these markings anymore, because they are absolutely invaluable, and shouldn't be too hard to create.
06-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by asce8 Quote
Great thread!
Why with manual lens i can't use the wireless flash mode?
Yeah, I have the same problem whem using a Pentax M 100mm f4 macro, the wireless flash doesn't work, any body know how to fix that?

bye
06-25-2014, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Perhaps a wee bit on the merits of considering to change the focusing screens to better suit faster and manual lenses.
06-26-2014, 02:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Perhaps a wee bit on the merits of considering to change the focusing screens to better suit faster and manual lenses.
I'd like to know more about this as well. I just recently found out that you can replace stock focusing screen with those old-school split screen types.
06-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some good questions. I'll need to research the flash issue as I have a different set-up for strobe use, and have never had an issue with MF or legacy glass in general and flashes.

The focusing screen issue is a deep, dark rabbit hole. I'll provide some insights, though, in the Q&A section.

And yes, each question in this thread will be addressed in some way in the front page article.
06-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
In mid-to-late-July I'll be publishing a Pentax forums blog on using manual focus lenses (specifically targeting legacy glass on Pentax DSLRs.) I mostly shoot manual focus lenses, so I don't necessarily know what people do and don't know about using MF vs. AF. Please use this thread to ASK questions about MF lenses. I'll address some in the blog. The ones I don't address in the text will be included in a special Q&A section at the end of the blog. Every question you ask in this thread will be answered in the blog post or Q&A.

So, please tell me what you'd like to know about using MF lenses on DSLRs. What are you unsure of or worried about with MF lenses? What MF techniques would you like to know how to do? What problems have you had with MF lenses that you'd like to know how to overcome?
Something that came up recently...I've got quite a few manual lenses, and normally use CIF and had good results with that and focus confirmation. Since my K-30 had a mirror box replaced, CIF and focus confirmation is way off. I know I can still use focus peaking in LV, but as I don't want to bother with screen shims or other focus screen, is their any way to correct the FF I get on my manual lenses using CIF and confirmation, like fine tuning it (CIF+C) in "AF" fine tuning, or is the only way to correct that focus screen shims?
06-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
is their any way to correct the FF I get on my manual lenses using CIF and confirmation
Does the K-30 have a diopter adjustment dial? If so, that may have been changed by the repair shop.