Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Travel recommendations around Banff?

Thinking about going to Banff in early September.

Also considering driving down to Glacier in Montana.

Any recommendations? I'll be taking the trip with a person who can walk a tiny bit almost every day, and on good days maybe ~2 miles.

06-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Travel recommendations around Banff?
Aye, I would have said not to bother going, then I realised you weren't talking about my Banff here.
06-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye, I would have said not to bother going, then I realised you weren't talking about my Banff here.

I'd love to go there, too! I'd have to visit the other side, though, some of my ancestors are from Wigtown.
06-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I actually think the West Coast is more bonny than the East Coast.

06-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I visited Banff i also drove up the icefields parkway to Jasper. Even in August, there was one night where we had 4 inches of snow. it can be cold and snowy all year, so be prepared.

The icefields parkway passes one glacier and you can get out and walk on the glacier. they also monitor the face of the glacier as a function of year, so you can see first hand the impact of global warming.

Other things to do, depending on time, are:
- lake louise, visit the hotel, and hike up to the teahouse, there are also baths and sulfur hot springs as well as generally goof hiking in the mountains
- morrane lake (I think it is, where the view from one shore gives you the view on one series of $20 canadian bills
- rogers pass and the views of the railway tunnels that carve through the mountains to avoid the snow (average 33 feet annually). There is a small park at the pass, where you can hike in a northern rain forest among 6 foot ferns.
- if you go east a few hundred KMs there is calgary, as well as further east Drumheller, the dinosaur capitol of canada.
06-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I visited Kananaskis country last August. Specifically Forgetmenot Pond and Elbow Falls. The Pond was pretty excellent, that deep bluish green colour, and it's an easy short walk around it (~2km) and the pond itself is very close to the parking lot. A little bit of uphill at Elbow Falls, but it was still easy walking and also close to the parking lot. This was shortly after all that massive flood damage, many areas were still closed or downright missing or we would have made it further west. It was something to see the picnic tables washed down the river along with the huge cement foundations they were attached to.
06-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what your accommodation budget is but if you can manage it, Emerald Lake Lodge is wonderful. (And IMO, Emerald Lake is as beautiful as Lake Louise with the added benefit of many fewer tourists.)