Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Best SD Card @ 80mb/s

I have no idea where to put this.....

I happened across this, that actually had some pretty good testing data....Down in the comments, I came across this explanation.....
QuoteQuote:
Anonymous

Another piece of advice that you should add to the article is for the people who are buying from Amazon. A little known secret is that by default Amazon will sell you a bootleg grey market version of this card or any other card for that matter. You have to change your selection yourself because they will sell you the fake inferior one instead unless you take action. The dirty little secret is if you read carefully it will say they are helping you out by sending you a card with “Frustration Free packaging.”

AVOID THESE AT ALL COSTS!!!! Make sure to select RETAIL PACKAGING ONLY! These are the real deal. These Frustration Free Packaging SD cards are the source of virtually all the bad reviews on any flash storage, and they lump the Frustration Free Packaging SD card reviews with the retail packaging reviews just to keep the overall reviews from getting too bad.

One bit of warning, if you click on the retail packaging version it will take you to the Frustration Free Packaging version. But all you have to do these days is click a little box that says “Retail or Retail Packaging”. This insures that you get a good card instead of a reject which is what the Frustration Free Packaging SD cards are and believe me they are hit and miss. The real one should look like tha package you would get if you purchase it in a store and the fake Frustration Free Packaging is just anti static bubble wrap.

if you buy a Frustration Free Packaging SD card you will be in for some big time frustration when you start using the card and checking the write speeds and probably read speeds too. And they have an incredibly high failure rate as well. And for gods sake don’t buy anything like that from E bay, they’re all fake and they are doing some kind of firmware hack to make 1 and 2 GB cards show up as 32 GB cards. You will literally be paying 15 to 20 dollars for a dying 1 or 2 GB card with a write speed of 2MB per second.

06-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure how accurate that comment is- but nice article.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: