Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need a wireless webcam/netcam

I wasn't sure where to post this......

I have what I call a weather cam which is currently a Logitech pro 9000. This cam is wired and the resolution isn't the best. I want to make the jump to a wireless camera and am just lost when it comes to this stuff.

I've looked around on the web and see so many choices. The one I have kind of center on right now for comparison purposes is a Belkin F7D7601:

Belkin Netcam

This one can be had for ~$75 which is my limit for this.

But these cams have so many features that I don't need, but I guess that is the way they come. What concerns me the most when reading the reviews on this camera is the need to have a smart phone for setup. Well....I don't have one.....

My needs are:

Wireless of course to connect to my router Linksys WRT54g.
Ability to mount to a wall with screws as the one noted above does
All I need it to do is capture a good jpeg image and be saved to my hard drive. My weather station software takes care of the rest including uploading to Wunderground.

The more I look the more my head starts spinning. I just need something simple for $75 or less that will capture a decent jpeg image and save it to my hard drive.

Any other suggestions?

07-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Just to clarify, are you looking for wireless connectivity with a wired electrical supply?

With this be an outdoor or indoor mount?

Last edited by BiggTexx; 07-01-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: More details added...
07-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BiggTexx Quote
Just to clarify, are you looking for wireless connectivity with a wired electrical supply?

With this be an outdoor or indoor mount?
Yes - wireless connectivity and can be plugged into an outlet and will be an indoor mount.
07-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

I am not familiar with NetCam line, but if that is your price range, then I would say it was a fair deal. I haven't seen any terrible products from Belkin that were made for moderate home use, so I am wiling to bet this will be no different.

The setup can be the deal breaker here. While I am sure it can be setup with a PC, it may be more of a hassle than you are willing to go through. The smart phones are actually just connecting to the camera via WiFi (it has it's own network) then telling the camera how to connect to your home WiFi. Any Laptop should be able to connect to it, unless there is a password/encryption sequence that is only available to be deciphered through the NetCam apps...

Anyways - For your described needs, I would suggest looking at a few other models that are comparable to the one you showed, such as:

TRENDnet IP751WIC - same 640x480 resolution (non-HD)...

Lorex LDC7708B Weatherproof Dome Security Camera With Night Vision - 700TVL/960H resolution (roughly the same as 640x480), weatherproof...

D-Link Wireless Day/Night Network Surveillance Camera + Wi-Fi Extender (DCS-933L) - 640x480 resolution + WiFi repeater...

All are cheaper than the one you mentioned (when buying from Amazon).

07-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help BiggTexx!

After doing some more research I see what you mean about the ease of setting up with a smart phone or tablet - which I had to remind myself of - I do have a tablet with WiFi - duh!

Looking at your suggested links (I would likely be buying from Amazon anyway), this one looks like it may work well for me:

Amazon.com : TRENDnet Wireless N Network Cloud Surveillance Camera with 1-Way Audio and Night Vision, TV-IP751WIC (White) : Trendnet Ip Camera : Electronics

There are 2 choices with that one - one is day only and one is day/night. Since I don't need to capture any night time images the day time only one would be fine - and quite a bit cheaper at $35. Looks like a winner.

Thanks again for your help - I feel more confident now to get that one and try it out.
07-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Not a problem!

Just out of curiosity, do you know what the resolution is of the current cam, the Logitech Pro 9000? Is that the PC Webcam model?

If that is it, you will be downgrading from 720HD (1280x720) to 640x480...

Besides, that webcam has a Carl Zeiss lens system!

Last edited by BiggTexx; 07-01-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: more info...
07-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I get really confused with these camera specs. But yes, that is the camera I am using. The only problem is, which isn't that bad of one, is it being tethered to the USB cable. I currently have a USB extender cable (don't know what it is actually called - used for extra long cable runs) with a total of a 30' run to get the camera view at the proper side of the house looking out the window. Here is the current view from it - really bad this time of day and this time of year when the sun hits it directly for an hour or so:

Better to look at it in the morning/afternoon time for a good look at the IQ it gives:

Sterling Run Weather

I'm using my weather software to capture the image, save it, and upload it. Within those controls I have it set at 640x480. The specs I look at for this camera are hard for me to decipher as they show many different video resolutions, but none for still jpeg. When I let the camera and Logitech software grab the still images they are only 320x240. 640x480 is the most I seem to be able to push it. The 640x480 is plenty big enough for what I am using it for anyway.

Well you've made me thing some more on this. Right now I have the camera positioned at the extreme of the cable run - to the point the cable is pulling on the camera sometimes. A wireless camera would give me the freedom to put it in just about any window I want, but truth be told, this window has the best view since one can see the river when the foliage isn't so think. And going down in IQ is not what I want to do.
07-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Stan. I have one of these running in the front window to know when UPS brings my Pentax goodies, since my home office is detached from the house.
Amazon.com : D-Link DCS-930L mydlink-Enabled Wireless-N Network Camera : Home Security Systems : Camera & Photo

Setup was not too difficult, I used the wireless router's auto join function.

The web program works fine, but the included app is very clunky so I don't bother with it.
If you need to record then the app is supposed to let you do that, so it may be worth taking the time to figure it out.

When I need to monitor the front door I just log into the web app, where you setup an account using your email address.

The picture is very low res and not the greatest but it does the job for what I need. It also has a microphone but the sound quality is worse than the picture so I keep it low or mute it if it gets annoying.

Here is a sample of the display.

Attached Images

07-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm using my weather software to capture the image, save it, and upload it.
Seems to be a bit more complicated than I first thought... What are the settings for image capture?
07-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Hi Stan. I have one of these running in the front window to know when UPS brings my Pentax goodies, since my home office is detached from the house.
Amazon.com : D-Link DCS-930L mydlink-Enabled Wireless-N Network Camera : Home Security Systems : Camera & Photo

Setup was not too difficult, I used the wireless router's auto join function.

The web program works fine, but the included app is very clunky so I don't bother with it.
If you need to record then the app is supposed to let you do that, so it may be worth taking the time to figure it out.

When I need to monitor the front door I just log into the web app, where you setup an account using your email address.

The picture is very low res and not the greatest but it does the job for what I need. It also has a microphone but the sound quality is worse than the picture so I keep it low or mute it if it gets annoying.
Thanks for the example of the camera shot Larry - that's the same camera I had narrowed it down to. But as you probably read, I might be changing my mind and just keeping what I have for now. I am posting some camera grabs I found below for comparison.

Seems to be a bit more complicated than I first thought... What are the settings for image capture?
I think I have more of a hard time wrapping my head around this stuff than it being that complicated. All I know is now that I have everything set right, it just keeps plugging along - for many years now.

As far as the settings for image capture from my weather software, the Logitech software that came with the camera has to be running in the background. On the Logitech software there are no settings at all for changing the resolution. Then in my weather software, there is one entry for "device size" and when I use that I get a 320x240 image. The largest choice is 640x480 which I've been using with success.

I found a couple camera grabs - one from last winter and another from a few weeks ago - I think the more recent image got really pixelated during the upload for some reason.....:
07-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #11

The images are really not that bad considering your setup. I am not sure you will see much improvement by upgrading to a wireless security camera.

You may also consider another USB extension if you need more freedom of movement, but make sure they are high quality cables so you don't increase the image distortion/lag.
07-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The images are really not that bad considering your setup. I am not sure you will see much improvement by upgrading to a wireless security camera.

You may also consider another USB extension if you need more freedom of movement, but make sure they are high quality cables so you don't increase the image distortion/lag.
I agree that I doubt I would see any increase in picture quality with one of the cheaper wireless cams. After our discussion and Larry's help with his example, I've decided to make do with what I have and either reroute the cable a little somehow or try to add a 5' standard USB cable to the run. I'm not sure how long a run I can do without having any problems, but it doesn't cost anything to try.

The USB booster cable like I have is said to be able to be daisy chained up to 75' but I'm going to try to get away with the one I have and add another standard cable.

Thanks again for your help!