Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2014, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Book Review: Capturing Light: the Heart of Photography

I recently purchased the book "Capturing Light: The Heart of Photography" by Michael Freeman.

I have several of his other books and all are excellent. This one however holds a special place. So far it, to me has been the best one I have gotten. The subject matter just talks to me. It would go without saying that this book is HIGHLY recommended by me.

Who it's for: If you are a rank amateur this probably isn't the book for you. Once you have a basis of photography down then this book is fantastic. If you don't know what aperture is or have any experience taking or critiquing your work then this book might as well be written in greek as far as I'm concerned. (Sorry I don't know if any real Greeks are here on the forum )

I've been into photography about 2 years and I feel like this book will make an honest improvement in what I am trying to do.

What the author does is first defined what he doesn't do. He does not talk about gear, ISO, shutter speed, or anything else along those lines. The assumption is that you have a general idea of what these things do. BUT what he does do is goes through literally hundreds of pages, one to two pages each describing different types of light and how it is effectively used. Everything from drizzly rainy overcast lighting on to straight over head blazing sun...from deserts to mountain tops to cities... he describes briefly how different lighting creates mood and/or effect.

For me this book scores out as an 11 on a one to ten scale. It's definitely a must buy. For me I don't really need to memorize the terminology per se, but it does shed so much light on possibilities, how to be creative, how to 'see light', and how to incorporate all these different factors into what I do as a photographer in different scenarios and different settings (even geography). It's not a technical book at all. In fact it's a real page turner. To me it's a lot easier to read than any of the other books that I've read of his.

I cannot say enough good things about this one folks. If you only get one book... get this one.

07-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for this recommendation. There's a 30 page preview at the Focal Press website. The photos are gorgeous. Even if you never take a photo again in your life it will make you light conscious and develop your appreciation of your surroundings. I'm ordering today.
07-07-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Thanks for this recommendation.
You are very welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Even if you never take a photo again in your life it will make you light conscious and develop your appreciation of your surroundings. I'm ordering today.
Good job! I agree. I had this exact same thought 'if I never took another photograph in my life this book would still be good'...

It's like walking into an art gallery and seeing all the stuff hanging on the walls and then going 'I don't get it'. Outside of the 'cool factor' how are such things viewed and looked upon?

Well for me at least this book helped that light bulb over my head come on. Appreciation for art/photography is already at a new level...
07-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Put it on my wish list (along with the Photographer's Eye). Thanks for this

07-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have photographers eye...and go with this one first. Just saying
07-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Cool. They were cheap, so I figured I would get both.
07-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the tips ordered the 3 pack
Capturing Light: The Heart of Photography: Michael Freeman: 9780415843331: Amazon.com: Books

cheers

07-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

I bought it cant wait to start reading it thankyou for your review (its on my iPad)
07-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You are very welcome. After you look over the book come back and tell us here what you think