Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Hey, I'm sure CRIS does a fantastic job when they have the parts to do it. They wouldn't get so much business, otherwise.

CRIS is the only Pentax/Ricoh service center in the US. Anything beyond perhaps simply cleaning has to be shipped to them to service more significant repairs. So volume of business its pretty much due to them being a monopoly rather than by reputation.

I would suggest you call Ricoh 1-800-877-0155 and see what they have to say about the backorder issue.
As the Ricoh support rep said to me... "they could have sent those parts by canoe in that amount of time".

I am sure CRIS is not totally at fault for the backorder issue, but I don't know if they are really making much of an effort to push the subject and support their customers either.
Of course, it is all quite possible that Pentax just doesn't give a rip-roaring f--- about the US market and refuses to supply its service partner in a reasonable timeframe.

07-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
CRIS is the only Pentax/Ricoh service center in the US. Anything beyond perhaps simply cleaning has to be shipped to them to service more significant repairs. So volume of business its pretty much due to them being a monopoly rather than by reputation.
That would be a possibly accurate statement, except that they do repairs for more than just pentax, and get good reviews.
07-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

That would be a possibly accurate statement, except that they do repairs for more than just pentax, and get good reviews.

I never said anything to the contrary. Pentax is also likely a very small portion of their business, so that could very well be true without being inconsistent.

My Chrysler dealer gets good reviews for fixing Chrysler autos.
They will handle other makes and models as needed but do not necessarily do so well with those. Some would even argue that they do quite poorly in that regard.

No guarantee their quality is consistent across all departments, especially a near insignificant portion that may or may not have any backing from the manufacturer with regard to supply and training.
07-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I never said anything to the contrary.
I should have only quoted the part about their volume of business being due to their monopoly on Pentax repairs -- that's what I was referencing.

Thanks for the Ricoh contact number. I'll give it a try.

07-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Holy crap! Am I sorry I ever opened this thread... Mods please shut it down...
07-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #21
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
This is why I have not brought up my repair problems!

DAZ
07-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not a day passes that I'm not thankful I still shoot film and for the man in Tennessee.

Chris
I almost sent it there instead. I'm guessing he'd have the same issue with back-ordered parts though

07-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I almost sent it there instead. I'm guessing he'd have the same issue with back-ordered parts though
Let's see you broke your lens several months before you decided to send it in for repair, I Quote " I miss my lens (I broke it several months before I sent it in for repairs)." and now your moaning about Cris and Ricoh for the length of time it is taking to get it fixed. You should be thankful it didn't break to the point of not being able to be repaired at all and that you aren't totally kissing off over a $1000.00 purchase ($1396.95 B&H/Adorama price today)

Last edited by Ash; 07-23-2014 at 10:51 PM.
07-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Request granted.
Closed Thread